HOW DO YOU PRINT CD AND DVD COVERS

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
cdgm

HOW DO YOU PRINT CD AND DVD COVERS

Post by cdgm »

I used to do this regularly. I had a couple of different software packages. That was 10-20 years ago. I no longer have those computers so I don't have the software any longer.
I use NERO for burning, but the cover tool they have really sucks. It did years ago, and it's still bad now.
So whatever advice you have. Nothing too complicated. Just templates that are the right size will do.
Maybe being able to create rudimentary covers for stuff that doesn't exist also.
But basically templates so I can print the artwork that comes with a download.

Thanks.
DagB

Re: HOW DO YOU PRINT CD AND DVD COVERS

Post by DagB »

Haven't done it in years, but I used to use this one.

https://undercoverxp.en.softonic.com/
smithy20

Post by smithy20 »

DagB wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:42 pm Haven't done it in years, but I used to use this one.

https://undercoverxp.en.softonic.com/
Yes wholeheartedly agree undrcoverxp is excellent been using this for must be nearly 30 years now it's excellent
cdgm

Post by cdgm »

Thanks. Will check it out. I think I used to use Sure Thing. The problem with NERO for me has always been the images don’t fit properly in the templates. So I have to resize them all the time and the aspect ratio gets thrown off. It’s been that way forever. I could never figure out how to do it right. Thanks for the advice. Curios how this has become more difficult over the years. Newer printers have taken away the CD trays for printing that were common 10 years ago.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

More than that, how do you get them to actually look like real covers without spending a bazillion dollars on a laser printer and ink? All my home made covers over the years have looked like crap.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

I used to use Sure Thing since the beginning, I guess, right up to where it was costing me so much in ink, the covers were costing more than the discs or cases. So I gave it up. I haven't used my printer in ages and ages. "I just want it to print black!" "I NEED CYAN RIGHT NOW OR YOU CAN'T PRINT ANYTHING." So the cover images look equally as good in my database, just smaller and not subject to fading over time.
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
cdgm

Post by cdgm »

mojofilter wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:06 pm I used to use Sure Thing since the beginning, I guess, right up to where it was costing me so much in ink, the covers were costing more than the discs or cases. So I gave it up. I haven't used my printer in ages and ages. "I just want it to print black!" "I NEED CYAN RIGHT NOW OR YOU CAN'T PRINT ANYTHING." So the cover images look equally as good in my database, just smaller and not subject to fading over time.
I got me a MEGA tank printer now, so ink costs nothing. But you're right. Getting the right quality paper and doing the highest quality printout was expensive. Ink would disappear real quick. Printing the artwork was so much more expensive than the discs. It was crazy. They don't have many MEGA tank printers with a CD tray to print on them. The few they have are expensive. It's a shame they haven't transitioned the CD trays to the new MEGA tanks since ink is cheap with those.
cdgm

Post by cdgm »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:05 pm More than that, how do you get them to actually look like real covers without spending a bazillion dollars on a laser printer and ink? All my home made covers over the years have looked like crap.
High quality glossy paper, and a printer that does high quality photos. High expense though. I don't know how much a guy like Voo-Doo charges for his discs, and I don't know the quality, but he's doing it. He's on Facebook hawking those things. I did it years ago before printing on the discs themselves was a thing.
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

It's possible to over-think this.

What I did was draw lots of lines on a page in MS Publisher (you could use any programme really), print it out and then home in on the ones which are in the right place for a CD insert/cover of the correct size. That will enable you to construct a blank outline template for your print-outs, which you can keep as a master template.

From there - easy. draw up your design, or copy from the internet etc. Just drop it on top of your template and drag the corners so it fits.

None of this should cost anything, and won't take very long to make a template of the right size.

Here are some I made earlier...

harrythebannister

Post by harrythebannister »

Agree...I created my own templates for CD's DVD's Blurays the lot.