Changes to Wetransfer

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Nimbus

Changes to Wetransfer

Post by Nimbus »

Had an email today from Wetransfer about changes in T&C's. The biggest change in the free version is that downloads will be limited to 100. It shouldn't be much of an issue on here as long as other forum users join in and post links to stuff they download, depending on demand of course.

--------------------------------------------------

On May 6, 2024, we will be migrating your current WeTransfer Free account to a new free WeTransfer Basic plan. The migration could take place at any time on this date, and you will receive an email within 5 working days to confirm your migration.

See below for a summary of changes to your account.

Current Free plan
Send and receive up to 2 GB
No account storage
Fixed transfer expiration
7 days default expiration
No download limits per transfer

New Basic plan (free)
Send and receive up to 3 GB
20 GB of storage
Controllable transfer expiration (max 7 days)
3 days default expiration
Up to 100 downloads per transfer
Lord Reith

Re: Changes to Wetransfer

Post by Lord Reith »

I've never had a plan. I just go there and upload, are they getting rid of that? The only reason I use it is for the convenience. If you have to sign in now there's no point.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
O1Ghungary

Post by O1Ghungary »

Wetransfer has always been a piece of crap. The date of my first post on this forum: 27.09.2022 I uploaded to krakenfiles like most stuff. And it is still available now! It has been downloaded 392 times so far. It is by far the best free solution... sure, I know there are annoying pop-up ads, but if you use uBlock Origin or some other blocker, you never see them.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

Well,....I guess that's the end of WeTransfer unless we subscribe.

They got too big. Too widespread. Had to go the route of making money to sustain the free option. Kinda sucks But not unexpected, right?

Kraken may perhaps be the way forward. I've used Jdownloader for several years now as a set-it-and-forget-it queue. It eliminates the whole entertaining array of pop-ups. That, coupled with a FF lifetime prescription, which most thinking people detest, and so far, smooth sailing.

When it comes to file-sharing, free is free. There will always be those who find a way and then spread the good word. No worries here. There's still Mega.

-Z
TAKRL

Post by TAKRL »

An alternative to Wetransfer, in my opinion, is to use GigaFile.
https://gigafile.nu/

The service is free to use, with up to 300GB of 1 file, unlimited number of pieces and retention up to 100 days, all for free.
Moreover, no user registration is required.
The site is in Japanese, but it's not hard to do with Google Chrome's English translation feature.

Here for instructions on how to use GigaFile.
Nimbus

Post by Nimbus »

I think the only difference is that the downloads will be limited to 100. If you're the 100th person to click on the link then you'll get a download. If you're 101st, then it will likely say 'link expired'.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Nimbus wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:15 pm I think the only difference is that the downloads will be limited to 100. If you're the 100th person to click on the link then you'll get a download. If you're 101st, then it will likely say 'link expired'.
There'll be the 3 day expiry too though. Sounds like you'll need a free account to change it to 7 days.
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

swisstransfer is fine. Kind of like wetransfer before it just changed.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

It's the only hack that works.
If I don't betray you...
you'll never be loyal!

In unrelated news...
I lived near Corbin/Ventura in Woodland Hills for 11 years. One of the last times my wife and I drove past the Pussycat Theater, she said..."I can't believe that movie is still playing there...it's been running the whole time we've lived here"! I replied "What movie has been running the whole time we've been here"? She said "Air-Conditioned"!
KC
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Rupert Pupkin wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:35 pm swisstransfer is fine. Kind of like wetransfer before it just changed.
Yep, this is the winning answer. No sign in, 30 days, 50gb and hosted in Switzerland. Ticks all the right boxes.

Goodbye Wetransfer!