Penny Lane P5810 US Capitol Promo by Untehousn

What are you missing? We're here to help! Also feel free to post your lists for trading or sharing.
Walrus78

Penny Lane P5810 US Capitol Promo by Untehousn

Post by Walrus78 »

Hi there, wondering if anyone would be kind enough to share this hi res needledrop that was originally posted on BLZ back in 2019. Thanks in advance for considering :)
Tex

Re: Penny Lane P5810 US Capitol Promo by Untehousn

Post by Tex »

I assume it can be found in the link on page one of the Complete Recording Sessions thread.
rafael_szot

Post by rafael_szot »

viewtopic.php?t=328

It's on Volume 10 of the Complete Recording Sessions by MasterJedi

(Volume 9, actually)
Last edited by rafael_szot on Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Krussell2021

Post by Krussell2021 »

Please could somebody explain the history of this version. I know they cobbled together a stereo version for the US Rarities album. However, I'm guessing that in 1967, a mono master of this version existed that was sent to Capitol. What happened to that master. Was it destroyed, lost or was it just mislaid.

Many thanks.
Walrus78

Post by Walrus78 »

Thanks very much!
masterjedi

Post by masterjedi »

The one on Complete Recording is a rip by Steve Shorten, masterfully de-wowed by csnyfan. I do remember a Untehousn, but not sure it's the same person.
harrylime

Post by harrylime »

Krussell2021 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:46 pm Please could somebody explain the history of this version. I know they cobbled together a stereo version for the US Rarities album. However, I'm guessing that in 1967, a mono master of this version existed that was sent to Capitol. What happened to that master. Was it destroyed, lost or was it just mislaid.

Many thanks.
Capitol and other distributors only ever received dubs of masters, never the original (as that would basically guarantee it being missing when they would have needed it). As per John Barrett's notes, the original got scrapped in '71 (see for example this SH thread). One can only guess why, it wasn't customary at all even for bodged mixes. Perhaps they wanted to prevent it accidentally getting re-released like what happened to the early IWTHYH stereo mix in '76, or they assumed incorrectly it was already a dub. It's also unclear if Capitol still has their copy in their vaults, the chances are slim as Capitol was much less eager to keep unusable stuff and logically it being superseded by the final mono mix would have motivated them to chug it out. And we know that it wasn't used for the Rarities edit (as mentioned in the same thread).
FestVideoRoom

Post by FestVideoRoom »

masterjedi wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:08 pm The one on Complete Recording is a rip by Steve Shorten, masterfully de-wowed by csnyfan. I do remember a Untehousn, but not sure it's the same person.
Let me just set that record straight: I *supplied* that rip, but it was not done by myself; it was provided by a good friend who wishes to remain anonymous... his father was a disc jockey back in the '60s and preserved his copy of P-5810 in excellent condition.