New book about 69/70

Share the latest updates from the Fabs/Friends. Links to interviews and articles go here.
kasiabeatle

Re: New book about 69/70

Post by kasiabeatle »

You can read some extracts in Saturday Times: https://archive.ph/0GvdK
billybudapest

Post by billybudapest »

So...reading this book now...Good Lord! Many mistakes.

Did you know George wrote Dear Prudence? Because he so longed for her?

Whoever edited this or had the final ok for publication gets an F from me.

Wow
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

"Thank you. As you all know, you just can't believe everything you see and hear, can you. Now, if you will excuse me, I must be on my way."
(Jimi Hendrix)

An error like this does not mean a bad book unfortunately, I'd say. A journalist from Shindig! took an interview with Bruce Botnick, the Doors engineer. There, Bruce said that Jim Morrison had 24 songs written already before he and Ray Manzarek started The Doors in summer 1965. And that Jim Morrison sang all those 24 songs to Ray Manzarek on their meeting when they've decided to start a band. And that it was Jim Morrison who said this to him, and that Ray Manzarek did confirm.

Now to the truth. The fact is that Jim Morrison had about 10 songs ready, not 24, before summer 1965. It is documented by his notebook and confirmed by his words in a Rolling Stone interview. And he sang several of them to Ray. As to 24 songs, that's the sum total of the Doors' copyrighted originals by 1967, written not just by Morrison, but by Robby Krieger as well. The collection of 24 handwritten copies came from the band's lawyer, so this is how it is known.

Good thing the Shindig! journo smelled the rat and wrote before this quote of Bruce something like "Now the Doors historians would squeal..."

The Doors' members wrote a memoir each. Two earlier ones had horrific mistakes and disrespect for chronology; the latest one, by the guitarist, is much better in this regard (must be the good work of his co-writer). What's more, it became evident that they can tell lies. Now people sometimes tell lies when it suits them, and it's OK. But the guitarist went on record confessing sometimes he told lies just for the sheer fun.

So this is how a researcher has to navigate what the rock stars and people from the inner circle say on record. There are no limits, no laws.

As to an input of editors, it is best to forget about it.
Gredel21

Post by Gredel21 »

Hi All

My copy ordered from Amazon Canada has been released and arrived today.
Greg