(VOIDED PLEASE VOTE AGAIN) What is it that keeps your interest in The Beatles alive?

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...

What is it that keeps your interest in The Beatles alive?

Unreleased music (official or otherwise)
40%
Unreleased video (official or otherwise)
20%
Restorations, remixes, demixes and AI creations
17%
Limited, obscure, or out of print vinyl pressings
6%
New solo releases
5%
Books
4%
Merchandise
1%
Discussions
7%

Total votes: 126

Grackleflint

Re: What is it that keeps your interest in The Beatles alive?

Post by Grackleflint »

I had a friend many years ago, that I introduced to the Beatles music, and he commented one day that he was able to hear something that I could no longer hear - new Beatles music . We were riding in my car and at that point, I turned on the cassette player, and , of course, a Beatles boot started playing, and he looked at me and at that moment understood why I collected bootlegs.
EdinSc

Post by EdinSc »

1 & 3
beatlesfanfromsop

Post by beatlesfanfromsop »

Mike
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

zaval80 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:44 pm Obviously a Creedence fan would be able to say the same about The Beatles :lol: and then there are albums which not always represent "songs" yet are great. For example, "What's the New Mary Jane" is just not up to anywhere near the level of the mighty "The Parable of Arable Land" by Red Crayola ;)
I wouldn't want to upset a Creedence fan! Thgose cowboy boots hurt! :lol:

The thing that's frustrating to me with so many bands is the poverty of ideas. They just don't have them. The Beatles did an amazing job of allowing bands to write their own material, but the simple fact of it is that most people aren't very good at writing songs. So as you'd expect, they might fluke one really good song and have a big hit. And then that big hit becomes the basis of their career, and they go touring to promote it, release an album to cash in on it etc. But when I hear the other songs on their albums, I usually feel like they are just taking the piss with me. I recognise that these are just some chords and a beat thrown together, with a few words shouted over the top in the hope it'll sound like a song. But it's just what classical composers call "passage work" where they flesh out the main motifs with lots of filler material. It's much more derivative and unexceptional.

I recently heard Goodbye Yellow Brick Road which is supposed to be one of the all time great albums. And I liked it, but on a double album there are only about 6 songs that I think are truly seriously good, and the rest are just Elton taking the piss. Hey, let's chuck in a reggae number! By contrast, any single Beatles album has for me at least 9 or 10 or more home runs. Brilliant, well honed imaginative songs brimming with originality and catchy hooks.

I guess I'm just saying I'm a Beatles fan. I can listent other music, but it doesn't do anything to me. If I never heard it again, I would probably not even notice.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

By the way, I've added another option in the poll: merchandise.

Or "moichandising!" as Yoghurt would say.... :)
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

It looks like adding that option reset the poll!

Y'all have to vote again!
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:08 am
I wouldn't want to upset a Creedence fan! Thgose cowboy boots hurt! :lol:

The thing that's frustrating to me with so many bands is the poverty of ideas. They just don't have them. The Beatles did an amazing job of allowing bands to write their own material, but the simple fact of it is that most people aren't very good at writing songs. So as you'd expect, they might fluke one really good song and have a big hit. And then that big hit becomes the basis of their career, and they go touring to promote it, release an album to cash in on it etc. But when I hear the other songs on their albums, I usually feel like they are just taking the piss with me. I recognise that these are just some chords and a beat thrown together, with a few words shouted over the top in the hope it'll sound like a song. But it's just what classical composers call "passage work" where they flesh out the main motifs with lots of filler material. It's much more derivative and unexceptional.

I recently heard Goodbye Yellow Brick Road which is supposed to be one of the all time great albums. And I liked it, but on a double album there are only about 6 songs that I think are truly seriously good, and the rest are just Elton taking the piss. Hey, let's chuck in a reggae number! By contrast, any single Beatles album has for me at least 9 or 10 or more home runs. Brilliant, well honed imaginative songs brimming with originality and catchy hooks.

I guess I'm just saying I'm a Beatles fan. I can listent other music, but it doesn't do anything to me. If I never heard it again, I would probably not even notice.
It's a legend that The Beatles opened the gates for people writing their material, at the very least The Beach Boys did before them, same level - mostly their own stuff plus some choice covers. Buddy Holly did :D though yes, the "Beatles wave" in the US in 1964 was cataclysmic in their influence on everybody else.

The obvious mistake you make is comparing others' stuff with The Beatles. Every artist chooses their own aesthetics, as with presentation, so more obviously with the sound. The rock hierarchy (Beatles, Stones, lesser mortals) exists not for nothing :) most others are bound to stay on the lower steps of the pyramid. And it's not that, as soon one starts to compare an artist's songs with each other, not with some other artist's ones, the understanding comes. Some artists even require WORK on the behalf of the listener. Like, I've had to listen to certain albums of certain artists (certain other things by whom I already liked) on constant repeat to get into them, but when I finally did, I understood what escaped me before. Some even became my absolute favorites, so I can only look back in amazement now, what was it that prevented me from getting them totally from the start.
DrRobert

Post by DrRobert »

It's the video stuff for me now, especially after Get Back. I remember watching the redone Shea in the cinema after Eight Days A Week and I also want that. The remixes aren't my thing and I'm not bothered about hearing Carnival of Light.

The Peter Jackson stuff has opened a new door I think. I just wish Apple put stuff out quicker.
Lord Reith

(VOIDED PLEASE VOTE AGAIN) What is it that keeps your interest in The Beatles alive?

Post by Lord Reith »

MarkRJones1970 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:33 am It looks like adding that option reset the poll!

Y'all have to vote again!
Bloody useless internet! :evil:
csnyfan

Re: (VOIDED PLEASE VOTE AGAIN) What is it that keeps your interest in The Beatles alive?

Post by csnyfan »

If it's already reset anyway, why not add "researching the (recording) history"?