Mind Games EP : April 20 - (box set for July)

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Rupert Pupkin

Mind Games EP : April 20 - (box set for July)

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

https://recordstoreday.co.uk/record/Mind%20Games

Whilst the Mind Games box set is planned for July - not track listing so far,
There is an EP for April 20.

What is interesting is the content below which can make us speculate to the track-listing of the box set (complete or almost complete "I'm The Greatest" '73 sessions ?)
As long-standing supporters of the independent record stores all around the globe, the John Lennon Estate are excited and proud to be able to join the fun with this new, exclusive, limited-edition 4 track 12” EP release. As a teaser to the forthcoming “Ultimate Edition” Anniversary release of the “Mind Games” album – coming later this year in a collection of incredible new formats – this extremely limited-edition EP sets the tone for what will be an extraordinary year for the music and legacy of John Lennon.

- Mind Games (Ultimate Mix)
- I’m The Greatest (Ultimate Mix) featuring George Harrison and Ringo Starr
- Aisumasen (I’m Sorry) (Ultimate Mix)
- You Are Here (Out-take, Take 5)

The Vigotone Absolute Elsewhere takes of "You Are Here" where not numbered (as far as I can remember) but one of these takes had an extra verse : "from mystical to magical..."
"You Are Here" started as a "contest" between Harry and John - but Harry put out his song way before John; "Say It Again" was a compostite of "You Are Here" for the chorus, and a bluesy/melancholic melody like "I Want You (She's So Heaving")

Do we know what take of "You Are Here" was the Anthology 98 box set ?

Now we know that "I'm The Greatest" sessions 1973 with 3 Beatles + Klaus will be on the box set (we already have most of the sessions I think); the Anthology 98 take is a composite.
I wonder what take they have chosen to be considered as the "ultimate mix" since all these takes where to get a vocal-guide line for Ringo; and I'm not sure that the best vocal take by John was the basic track used for Ringo "I'm The Greatest".
We already have most of these sessions since 1990 with the Vigotone "Something Precious & Rare" which was already sourced from a tape source before His Master's Choice release.

I'm still convinced that George should have been co-credited for the coda which reminds me "I Dig Love".
Applejam101

Re: Mind Games EP : April 20 - (box set for July)

Post by Applejam101 »

A preview of the RSD EP
Last edited by Applejam101 on Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billylentz

Post by billylentz »

The songs that have already appeared on the "Gimme some truth" ultimate mixes compilation...

Do we already know if the mixes are the same?
ParloJames

Post by ParloJames »

man that art looks great on a 12 inch
Applejam101

Post by Applejam101 »

billylentz wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:09 pm The songs that have already appeared on the "Gimme some truth" ultimate mixes compilation...

Do we already know if the mixes are the same?
The mixes are all new. Even better than the Ultimate collection.

I'm most excited for the 11 min You Are Hear!
ParloJames

Post by ParloJames »

11 minutes! damn I didn't even know that
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

I'm The Greatest - take 2 (Anthology 98 take but somehow different (Anthology 98 would have been speed'ed-up). The odd thing is that it sounds like we have the beginning of the I'm The Greatest sessions on Vigotone's Something Precious & Rare, right form the beginning, and take 2 is not there; sounds to me like they still did a composite for the Anthology 98 take; probably same here based on its comment (he only talked about a different of sound/speed) ?

for "You Are Here" - 11 minutes wow!; I can't wait to hear the complete coda (probably an ending Hawaiian jam) - and if the Anthology take 5 was truncated/edited, then it had to be the "from mystical to magical..." missing verse.
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

The overdubs with the lapsteel guitar by Sneaky were recorded later. David Spinozza interviewed recently said that he discovered all the lapsteel guitar when he listened to the album once released.
Gredel21

Post by Gredel21 »

Sounds very interesting... Looking forward to the box set but would like to find a copy of the EP

Greg
MP3J

Post by MP3J »

The original
credit David Plowden
Attachments
FB_IMG_1713431086722.jpg
FB_IMG_1713431086722.jpg (86.71 KiB) Viewed 476 times