Pete Ham...Rusty Sunday

General music and other artist discussions.
Bradley333

Pete Ham...Rusty Sunday

Post by Bradley333 »

Badfinger question...By any chance, did anyone grab the "Rusty Sunday" demo when it was briefly available on the Pledgemusic site back in 2015? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
http://badfinger.publog.jp/archives/43962060.html
Todd

Re: Pete Ham...Rusty Sunday

Post by Todd »

I'll drop you a PM.
Todd

Post by Todd »

I believe the Tommy Evans demo of Hey Mr. Manager that was streaming briefly as part of this Pledgemusic campaign is also otherwise uncirculating.

The Pete Ham demos of Things are Really Getting Tight and Take Me Back also debuted as part of this aborted campaign, and ended up on Demos Variety Pack.
menza08

Post by menza08 »

I was a little disappointed that Rusty Sunday was not included in the latest release of Gwent Gardens. I wouldn't be surprised if they released another album with unreleased demos.
Todd

Post by Todd »

I do wonder how planned out the release of Pete Ham demos was. One would have thought that they picked all of the best ones for 7 Park Avenue, and were scraping the barrel a bit more with Golder's Green, but then came Keyhole Street, that pretty much exhaustively covered the 1967-1968 period. Next was Demos Variety Pack, which was a lot of repackaged tracks and several fascinating new tracks. Then came the bookend to Keyhole Street, Misunderstood, which was demos from Pete's last year.

And just when you think it's all tapped out, along comes Gwent Gardens, which frankly is probably my favorite of the Pete Ham demo releases. How can there still be this many good unreleased tracks? And more importantly, what has been held back for a future release?
menza08

Post by menza08 »

Totally agree with you on all points. Sweet Josephine and Rusty Cage would surely be perfect to be included in a new release. About Sweet Josephine I found this page https://www.angelfire.com/nv/Badfinger/ ... phine.html
where they talks about a 60 minute working tape with ideas. It would even be interesting, it would be a work in progress release,
ksantus

Post by ksantus »

While researching your request I happened upon these oddities.
The band consist of:
Tom Evans
Mike Gibbins
Steve Johns
Tony King
Jimmy McCullough (not that one)

Todd

Post by Todd »

ksantus wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:35 pm While researching your request I happened upon these oddities.
The band consist of:
Tom Evans
Mike Gibbins
Steve Johns
Tony King
From the curious Evans & Evans era of Badfinger. Tony King was known as Bob Evans at that time, and was the source of the elusive After Eden cassette. where he claimed to have co-written several songs that were eventually released on Tommy's Over You CD, as well as a few songs with Joey Molland.

The Badfinger Library doesn't list any live dates with this line-up, and none of these songs feature Tommy on lead vocals, thought I am fairly convinced I hear him on harmonies (I'd die babe: I tell you no lies).

It sounds like there may be more gems to discover deep in this mine. This seems to be another from that show:

[edit] From the liner notes on the Over You CD: "Last year (1992) I became aware that 5 of these songs had been bootlegged a few years earlier. I then remembered how Tommy had "lost" a cassette copy of our songs in 1983 on a trip to Milwaukee. It had obviously fallen into the wrong hands and 5 songs were released without permission from Marianne or myself. The bootlegger had even claimed to have written and produced these songs with Tommy. As you can imagine, the reproduction quality was dreadful."

Tony King/Bob Evan's history with the band is dubious at best, but it seems fairly certain he did at least rehearse with Tommy and Mike in late 1981-1982.
Bradley333

Post by Bradley333 »

Thank you Todd and everyone for all of the responses to this. I thought I was imagining this song's existence
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

Todd wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:09 pm
ksantus wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:35 pm While researching your request I happened upon these oddities.
The band consist of:
Tom Evans
Mike Gibbins
Steve Johns
Tony King
From the curious Evans & Evans era of Badfinger. Tony King was known as Bob Evans at that time, and was the source of the elusive After Eden cassette. where he claimed to have co-written several songs that were eventually released on Tommy's Over You CD, as well as a few songs with Joey Molland.

The Badfinger Library doesn't list any live dates with this line-up, and none of these songs feature Tommy on lead vocals, thought I am fairly convinced I hear him on harmonies (I'd die babe: I tell you no lies).

It sounds like there may be more gems to discover deep in this mine. This seems to be another from that show:

[edit] From the liner notes on the Over You CD: "Last year (1992) I became aware that 5 of these songs had been bootlegged a few years earlier. I then remembered how Tommy had "lost" a cassette copy of our songs in 1983 on a trip to Milwaukee. It had obviously fallen into the wrong hands and 5 songs were released without permission from Marianne or myself. The bootlegger had even claimed to have written and produced these songs with Tommy. As you can imagine, the reproduction quality was dreadful."

Tony King/Bob Evan's history with the band is dubious at best, but it seems fairly certain he did at least rehearse with Tommy and Mike in late 1981-1982.
omg the After Eden cassette. I had Years ago on bad tape dub
Chris