The Mamas & The Papas mono albums

General music and other artist discussions.
Krussell2021

The Mamas & The Papas mono albums

Post by Krussell2021 »

Hello

I'm looking for good rips of all their mono albums. Please can anybody help.

Wonder if the mono masters still exist.

Thanks.

Kevin
zaval80

Re: The Mamas & The Papas mono albums

Post by zaval80 »

I've Googled it up and at least the first album tape exists in mono. There are mono CDs by Sundazed but that company has dubious reputation regarding such things.
Bazilnerk

Post by Bazilnerk »

The original 1st Gen master tapes don;t exist and were thrown by ABC in the 1970's.

A mono copy (2nd gen) for the first album was found in an overseas archive (There may have been other albums too but I don't remember those being reported). All the mono single masters are pretty much gone, hence all CD versions of those are from needle drops
Tex

Post by Tex »

The wide stereo mixes would benefit greatly from spectral demixing.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Tex wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 pm The wide stereo mixes would benefit greatly from spectral demixing.
I heard California Dreaming the other day and the stereo was terrible! It wasn't just The Beatles who did ping pong mixes, it was everybody, even the Americans with their wizzbang 8 tracks.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:36 am
Tex wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 pm The wide stereo mixes would benefit greatly from spectral demixing.
I heard California Dreaming the other day and the stereo was terrible! It wasn't just The Beatles who did ping pong mixes, it was everybody, even the Americans with their wizzbang 8 tracks.
Seek out the Barry McGuire version….uses the same backing track…its hard panned but definitely sounds better and it has an unused background vocal part from the Mamas & the Papas

Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

Bazilnerk wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:00 pm The original 1st Gen master tapes don;t exist and were thrown by ABC in the 1970's.

A mono copy (2nd gen) for the first album was found in an overseas archive (There may have been other albums too but I don't remember those being reported). All the mono single masters are pretty much gone, hence all CD versions of those are from needle drops
I believe the same is true for Steppenwolf…ABC/Dunhill were certainly not too bright in those days
Bazilnerk

Post by Bazilnerk »

What i think is worse than throwing the mono was getting rid of the multi's Yes they'd have probably gone up in smoke in the Universal fire anyway, but there is a chance someone would have gone back and remixed before then. Imagine what you could do with the stage tapes. Oh well!
hallucalation

Post by hallucalation »

Don't forget that a lot of stuff had also burned out in Universal fire around 2008. The damage was horrifying. Masters, sessions tapes, documents for many artists.
Krussell2021

Post by Krussell2021 »

Am I right in thinking that Real Gone for their Singles compilation scoured the world for mono masters and found them all?