The Stones And Brian Jones

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Lord Reith

Re: The Stones And Brian Jones

Post by Lord Reith »

Question for Stones fans: is there any complete recording of the Altamont concert?
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
slane

Post by slane »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:41 pm Question for Stones fans: is there any complete recording of the Altamont concert?
I think the complete recording was included on the Stones 1969 Copyright dump a few years ago.
joguema

Post by joguema »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:41 pm Question for Stones fans: is there any complete recording of the Altamont concert?
The Altamont Free Concert was a famous rock concert held on December 6, 1969 at the then-disused Altamont Speedway in Northern California. Headlined and organized by the The Rolling Stones, it also featured, in order of performance: Santana, Jefferson Airplane, The Flying Burrito Brothers, and Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, with the Stones taking the stage as the final act. The Grateful Dead were also scheduled to perform between CSNY and the Stones, but canceled at the last minute owing to the ensuing circumstances at the venue. Approximately 300,000 people attended the concert, and some speculated it would be "Woodstock West."

The event is best known for having been marred by violence, including one killing and three accidental deaths (two of the deaths were caused by a hit-and-run car accident, another death was the result of a drowning in a drainage ditch). There were also four births. (This little blurb was stolen from Wikipedia.)

This is a pretty good audience recording considering the year was 1969. Of course, it has its usual sound fluctuations here and there but still very enjoyable.

Disc 1

01. Introduction by Mick Jagger
02. Santana: Gumbo Jam
03. Santana: Jingo (incomplete)
04. Introduction by Sam Cutler
05. The Flying Burrito Brothers: Six Days On The Road
06. The Flying Burrito Brothers: High Fashion Queen
07. The Flying Burrito Brothers: Cody, Cody
08. The Flying Burrito Brothers: Lazy Day
09. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young: Black Queen
10. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young: Pre-Road Downs
11. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young: Long Time Gone
12. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young: Down By The River (incomplete)
13. Announcements/Introduction
14. Jefferson Airplane: The Other Side of Life
15. Paul Kantner: "Easy, Everybody" (Marty Balin gets knocked out)
16. Jefferson Airplane: 3/5 of a Mile in 10 Sec. (false start)
17. Jefferson Airplane: 3/5 of a Mile in 10 Sec.
18. Jefferson Airplane: Fat Angel
19. Jefferson Airplane: White Rabbit
20. Jefferson Airplane: Free Bird
21. Jefferson Airplane: Ballad of You and Me and Pooneil
22. The Rolling Stones: Jumpin’ Jack Flash
23. The Rolling Stones: Carol

Disc 2

01. The Rolling Stones: Sympathy For The Devil (false start)
02. The Rolling Stones: Be, Cool, People
03. The Rolling Stones: Sympathy For The Devil
04. Mick Jagger: “Who’s Fighting”?
05. The Rolling Stones: The Sun Is Shining
06. The Rolling Stones: Stray Cat Blues
07. The Rolling Stones: Love In Vain
08. Mick Jagger: “Sit Down”!!
09. The Rolling Stones: Under My Thumb
10. Mick Jagger: “Get Off The Stage”!!
11. The Rolling Stones: Under My Thumb
12. The Rolling Stones: Brown Sugar (incomplete)
13. The Rolling Stones: Midnight Rambler
14. The Rolling Stones: Live With Me
15. The Rolling Stones: Gimme Shelter
16. The Rolling Stones: Little Queenie
17. The Rolling Stones: (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction
18. The Rolling Stones: Honky Tonk Women
19. The Rolling Stones: Street Fighting Man
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

slane wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:03 pm
I think the complete recording was included on the Stones 1969 Copyright dump a few years ago.
Was it a desk recording?
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
slane

Post by slane »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:16 pm
Was it a desk recording?
I can't remember. I might still have it somewhere.
Spaniard in da Works

Post by Spaniard in da Works »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:16 pm
Was it a desk recording?
I'd look in Aeppli's later and go back to you. That goddamned copyright dump was 90% copied from old bootlegs.
Bumblebee

Post by Bumblebee »

kingkenneth 2 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:45 pm
Bumblebee wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:46 am It’s a good documentary, already bootlegged by FAB. Jones was an interesting character, really driven as far as the blues goes. You can see how his look inspired a whole host of sixties bands, particularly in the USA - just look at the Byrds when they first started out.

Lennon claimed to have pulled a stunt on Jones; he was being driven through London in his Rolls Royce when he spotted Jones being chauffeured in his car. Lennon said that his Rolls was fitted with external speakers, so he started to make announcements through the car speakers that Jones was being followed by the police. If true, this no doubt did little to help Jones ever increasing paranoia.

The Hendrix jam referred to by Bill Wyman has been available for years, it’s called ‘Little One’ and there were two takes of it. Jones is on sitar, he might be on one or two other things as well. For a long time there was a rumour that Jones had left a whole cache of tapes secreted at Cotchford Farm, his last home, including songs he’d written. Alas it was wishful thinking and nothing has ever materialised. The closest has been a track called Dust My Pyramids, a wonderfully titled piece that later turned out to be a misidentified BBC session track.

The use of webcams in the documentary might be down to the fact that the film was being made in lockdown; regardless, it’s not necessarily a deliberate move by the BBC to lower its standards more a result of swingeing budget cuts.
Do you know if Dust My Pyramids survived or surfaced anywhere ? i've been trying to find a copy for years but no joy.
i read about it in Martin Elliot's book the complete recording sessions 1962-2002.
Ken
Ken

I believe that it will already be out there but under its correct title; I read about it in a Record Collector article but it was over 20 years ago and I’ve retained neither the magazine nor 20/20 memory of what the actual track was. All I recall is that the article was focussed on Brian and there was a section on his song writing, or lack of it. I remember ‘Dust My Pyramids’ because it’s such a great title but I can’t recall the BBC session track it was ultimately identified as actually being.

Chances are, if you have the BBC sessions then you’ll have it.
Bumblebee

Post by Bumblebee »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:21 pm He seems to have been a imaginative guy. I mean, who would think of adding marimba to under my thumb? No one I suspect. But it really makes the song. Like The Beatles he was no great shakes as an instrumentalist but made up for it with inventiveness I think. And i always thought that while The Stones became a better band overall with Mick Taylor, they kind of became a caricature of themselves. They were definitely more inventive in the Brian years.
I don’t know if they were that inventive in the sixties, they seemed to spend the period up to 1968 apeing the Beatles with increasingly diminishing artistic returns. Mick Taylor changed the band a lot, they wouldn’t have progressed as much without him. Ronnie is probably the best second fiddle for the band - he knows his place and doesn’t rock the boat. They’re a good boogie band with a PR department second to none, alas they’re a bit like Pete Doherty in that if you stack up their albums there’s not that many you could really call contenders:

* Beggars Banquet
* Let It Bleed
* Sticky Fingers
* Some Girls

Plus the Hot Rocks compilation.

I know that Exile gets plaudits but to me it just sounds like the same song played at different tempos.

Do you know how much the Stones know about their archive? When they put together the Exile On Mainstreet reissue they included a track called Title 5 which was actually from the 1967 Satanic Majesties sessions. So, Brian on Exile after all. Brilliant!
Johnny Kidd Fan Club

Post by Johnny Kidd Fan Club »

Bumblebee wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:25 pm
Bumblebee wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:46 am It’s a good documentary, already bootlegged by FAB. Jones was an interesting character, really driven as far as the blues goes. You can see how his look inspired a whole host of sixties bands, particularly in the USA - just look at the Byrds when they first started out.

Lennon claimed to have pulled a stunt on Jones; he was being driven through London in his Rolls Royce when he spotted Jones being chauffeured in his car. Lennon said that his Rolls was fitted with external speakers, so he started to make announcements through the car speakers that Jones was being followed by the police. If true, this no doubt did little to help Jones ever increasing paranoia.

The Hendrix jam referred to by Bill Wyman has been available for years, it’s called ‘Little One’ and there were two takes of it. Jones is on sitar, he might be on one or two other things as well. For a long time there was a rumour that Jones had left a whole cache of tapes secreted at Cotchford Farm, his last home, including songs he’d written. Alas it was wishful thinking and nothing has ever materialised. The closest has been a track called Dust My Pyramids, a wonderfully titled piece that later turned out to be a misidentified BBC session track.

The use of webcams in the documentary might be down to the fact that the film was being made in lockdown; regardless, it’s not necessarily a deliberate move by the BBC to lower its standards more a result of swingeing budget cuts.
Do you know if Dust My Pyramids survived or surfaced anywhere ? i've been trying to find a copy for years but no joy.
i read about it in Martin Elliot's book the complete recording sessions 1962-2002.
Ken
Ken

I believe that it will already be out there but under its correct title; I read about it in a Record Collector article but it was over 20 years ago and I’ve retained neither the magazine nor 20/20 memory of what the actual track was. All I recall is that the article was focussed on Brian and there was a section on his song writing, or lack of it. I remember ‘Dust My Pyramids’ because it’s such a great title but I can’t recall the BBC session track it was ultimately identified as actually being.

It (Dust My Pyramids) was a 25 second intro piece for their appearance on the 31st October 1964 episode of Rhythm and Blues broadcast on the General Overseas Service (later known as World Service). The only track known to survive from that broadcast is 2120 South Michigan Avenue.
The Yardbirds did a 15sec. intro piece for their appearance called The Intro which was credited to Walker so I wouldn't go holding up Dust My Pyramids as any major kind of evidence as to Brian's songwriting skills. At a guess it was probably 25 seconds of Elmore James type slide noodling credited to Brian and Keith.
hallucalation

Post by hallucalation »

Johnny Kidd Fan Club wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:05 pm
Bumblebee wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:25 pm

Ken
Ken

It (Dust My Pyramids) was a 25 second intro piece for their appearance on the 31st October 1964 episode of Rhythm and Blues broadcast on the General Overseas Service (later known as World Service). The only track known to survive from that broadcast is 2120 South Michigan Avenue.
The Yardbirds did a 15sec. intro piece for their appearance called The Intro which was credited to Walker so I wouldn't go holding up Dust My Pyramids as any major kind of evidence as to Brian's songwriting skills. At a guess it was probably 25 seconds of Elmore James type slide noodling credited to Brian and Keith.
Is 2120 South Michican Avenue comes from Bernie Andrews tape? If so, there might be more, could be the case of just one song leaking/being broadcasted years ago.