REQ: BBC You’ll Never Be Sixteen Again

What are you missing? We're here to help! Also feel free to post your lists for trading or sharing.
Amoos Bouche

Re: REQ: BBC You’ll Never Be Sixteen Again

Post by Amoos Bouche »

With a quick bit of digging all the 7 episodes are here.

https://pastdaily.com/2022/08/01/great- ... hronicles/

Use the search to find the rest of the episode. I found they are easily downloaded using a Vemeo video downloader.

Best wishes.

Amoos. :D
Holocron

Re: REQ: BBC You’ll Never Be Sixteen Again (File Recovery Update!)

Post by Holocron »

Hi, everyone.
It looks like I've recovered pretty much everything that was showing as 'unreadable' on my drive, including the copies I have of "You'll Never Be 16 Again".
No difference in sound quality or completeness, though!
I had used the Recoverit software I mentioned quite successfully a few years ago so I paid another year's subscription, but despite seeming to find the many thousands of files I wanted to recover it failed to supply WAV or MP3 recordings as complete files, only m4a files which I get from BBC iplayer came out in fairly good shape.
I then tried different software (Minitool Power Data Recovery) which provided me with what seemed like a comprehensive list of files which could be recovered if I paid for pro version rather than the very limited free version - even though lots of files transferred, whenever I tried opening them I found that they didn't play or contained short sections of completely different shows!
Finally I tried Recuva which I'd used literally to retrieve a single photo I'd deleted from an old phone about 10 years ago - installed the free version to my laptop and initially it didn't find much but when I looked into the few settings it looks like it was only looking for 'deleted' files, presumably that's what they encourage people to use it for.
But after I unticked the box and left it to read the folder I was presented with the option of a list or tree view of everything I hoped was still there and over the last week I've been gradually transferring everything across to a new drive! I did the transfer in relatively small batches because I worried about overloading free software.
Apart from in the region of 40 single files (out of more than 100,000!) I now have everything back.
The 'missing' files are missing because the programme will only transfer files up to a maximum name size, so where people have named files and thrown as many details as possible into the file name just occasionally these stubbornly won't move. (No difference with the pro version either, it seems).
Even so, a majority of these recordings originated from other radio show collectors and I'm sure that I can retrieve them if I ask nicely!
I still need to do all the same tidying up I promised myself before the older drive let me down - I have lots of drama and comedy but am always keen to catch up with BBC music sessions and documentaries, which is what originally sent me looking for Lord Reith all those years ago...
Apologies for the long message but if the same thing happens to anyone else, at least he/she might remember some of my experience.
Incidentally, Lord Reith's 2021 update to the Beatles BBC Archive was in the doomed folder and every single track came across perfectly - even his file naming process is exemplary!
All the Best,
Stuart
BTL1210

Re: REQ: BBC You’ll Never Be Sixteen Again

Post by BTL1210 »

GREAT news that you have managed to recover almost all of the items on your perished external hard drive....... I was helped BIG TIME when the same thing happened to me a few years ago - Lord Reith was the one who advised me to try Recuva to retrieve some "priceless" deemed lost forever family photos of my Wedding Anniversary.....