Four New Films!

Share the latest updates from the Fabs/Friends. Links to interviews and articles go here.
Lord Reith

Re: Four New Films!

Post by Lord Reith »

ssane wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:15 pm You'd all recall that a couple of years back Peter Jackson said that he was in talks with Paul and Ringo to develop a new film. I think he even said a live action film.

I wonder if this is the outcome from those talks and Sam Mendes now has the project Peter Jackson was referring to?
Quite possibly. If Jackson became producer and they used Weta's tech. Not sure how i'd feel about actors with CGI faces though. I'd prefer they get the characterization right. For example, the four of them were natural comedians and had the delivery needed to make things funny. I cringe when other actors parrot the funny lines in those bad Yellow Submarine accents and it just comes over as unfunny or bizarre. It'll be a very tall order to find four actors who can recreate the comic chemistry of the Beatles.

Also when you look at how both Eight Days A Week and Get Back changed from their original premises, this could well end up as an eight part miniseries on Disney in 2030. It may fall victim to its own grandiose ambitions. Also I can't help remembering how badly 8DAW did at the cinema. 90% of the audience as far as I could tell when I went to see it were baby boomers. Not sure they could pull in the crowds needed to finance FOUR movies. To get more than the BB crowd turning up they'll have to be really extraordinarily good. Just adequate won't cut it.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
anthonybeat

Post by anthonybeat »

ssane wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:15 pm You'd all recall that a couple of years back Peter Jackson said that he was in talks with Paul and Ringo to develop a new film. I think he even said a live action film.

I wonder if this is the outcome from those talks and Sam Mendes now has the project Peter Jackson was referring to?
Peter didn't mention the word movie. He was talking about the project. And this project became the promo video Now And Then.
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

Some commentary by Ken Womack.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Can you imagine the state of the thread on SHF by the time this thing comes to fruition?

We always knew WWIII was coming, we just didn't know it would start like this. :lol:
sunnylew

Post by sunnylew »

I've been listening to a podcast that has Eric Taros in now and then. He's a film-archivist with a keen interest in the Beatles who was involved with sourcing and restoring film for 8DAW amongst other film projects.

He's been dropping hints about using some new film for an upcoming film project. The only one I remember is colour film from side of stage during the Ed Sullivan rehearsal when George was ill and they had a stand in for the purposes of blocking.

I can't see this being used in the Mendes bio pics - could it mean there's another documentary coming out first? I could definitely see it mixed in with Maisley brothers footage for a doco about the Beatles hitting America for the first time.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

sunnylew wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:29 pm I've been listening to a podcast that has Eric Taros in now and then. He's a film-archivist with a keen interest in the Beatles who was involved with sourcing and restoring film for 8DAW amongst other film projects.

He's been dropping hints about using some new film for an upcoming film project. The only one I remember is colour film from side of stage during the Ed Sullivan rehearsal when George was ill and they had a stand in for the purposes of blocking.

I can't see this being used in the Mendes bio pics - could it mean there's another documentary coming out first? I could definitely see it mixed in with Maisley brothers footage for a doco about the Beatles hitting America for the first time.
Great! We can look forward to this in 2034 then.
BeatleDan

Post by BeatleDan »

I can't think of any biopics from the last 20 or so years that have been anything but factually incorrect fluff stories for the semi-interested. I don't see any point in them when there is plenty of archive material to make a decent documentary.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

BeatleDan wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:57 pm I can't think of any biopics from the last 20 or so years that have been anything but factually incorrect fluff stories for the semi-interested. I don't see any point in them when there is plenty of archive material to make a decent documentary.
A lot of people won't watch documentaries though. There is still a certain class of people who are proud to be ignorant. A biopic movie, though, they will gladly go see.

I imagine that they might well turn out awful in this day and age, but they will also probably generate millions of new streams and make a lot of money.
beckman99

Post by beckman99 »

in over 50 years they were not able, beside backstreet, to make a good movie bout the beatles, let alone four.
best bio pic imo "the doors" by oliver stone.
Spaniard in da Works

Post by Spaniard in da Works »

beckman99 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:11 am in over 50 years they were not able, beside backstreet, to make a good movie bout the beatles, let alone four.
best bio pic imo "the doors" by oliver stone.
The Ray Charles one was not bad.