Concert for Kampuchea 1979 info wanted.

What are you missing? We're here to help! Also feel free to post your lists for trading or sharing.
MacaRock

Re: Concert for Kampuchea 1979 info wanted.

Post by MacaRock »

Kando wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:14 pm
MacaRock wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:33 pm Here you have the rough mixes of the Paul's tracks. It might be useful for those who make merges of the concert as it features extended intros and outros for each song. I think JEMS released this back in 2014 IIRC. Anyway, here you go

hxxps://mega.nz/folder/vocB3QbD#16pwst6NHxSjqbFKgKM8hw
Thanks very much for that share. And not to sound like a broken record on this thread (lol), but would you happen to have the first 5 tracks of that disc, and any of the other three discs from that collection?
First 5 tracks uploaded now in the same folder!
MacaRock

Post by MacaRock »

General Pepper wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:05 am Many years ago I read that McCartney was out driving one night and he heard a bootleg recording of Wings on a radio station. He called the radio station and chewed them out for playing a live bootleg that sounded awful.

They then told him it was a track from the legal Kampuchea release.

Anyone remember which book I read this in? I can't.

GP
Well, he sounds completely shot throughout the concert. Never knew why.
josepmn

Post by josepmn »

Searching the hard drive I found this:

hxxps://drive.google.com/file/d/1VoG-xKQD388MTxAMgwBfKMaOXstXtbOa/view?usp=sharing

Front.jpg
Front.jpg (781.27 KiB) Viewed 563 times
Back.jpg
Back.jpg (602.08 KiB) Viewed 563 times
therowdyman

Post by therowdyman »

Gredel21 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:38 am Wings - concert For Kampuchea 1979 info wanted

Does anyone know if there was an official release done on CD or DVD ????
Official sources

McCartney Deluxe Edition
DVD
* Every Night (Live At Concert for the People of Kampuchea)

McCartney II Deluxe Edition
DVD
* Coming Up [Live at Concert for the People of Kampuchea]

The concert album has never made an official release to any digital format. The Concerts For The People Of Kampuchea album was only released on vinyl/cassette and 8-track.

Paul McCartney & Wings
* Got To Get You Into My Life
* Every Night
* Coming Up
Rockestra
* Lucille
* Let It Be
* Rockestra Theme

No official home video version of the whole concert has been released (if I was a betting man - rights issues would be the reason).

There are grey market DVDs of:

* The original 1983 TV special Rock for Kampuchea. (72 mins)
* Japanese TV broadcast rebroadcast from 2008
* Concert For Kampuchea - the version that played in cinemas in 1988 (80mins)
Kando

Post by Kando »

MacaRock wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:08 pm First 5 tracks uploaded now in the same folder!
Thank you so very much for posting the rest of the tracks for that disc. It just happened to contain many of the tracks from the lp that I liked the most (Crawling from the Wreckage, Little Sister, Lucille, Coming Up, and Rockestra).

Thanks.
"So long, and thanks for all the fish!"
Kando

Post by Kando »

josepmn wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:00 pm Searching the hard drive I found this:
hxxps://drive.google.com/file/d/1VoG-xKQD388MTxAMgwBfKMaOXstXtbOa/view?usp=sharing
Front.jpg
Back.jpg
Thanks much as well!
Kando

Post by Kando »

therowdyman wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:12 pm Official sources

McCartney Deluxe Edition
DVD
* Every Night (Live At Concert for the People of Kampuchea)

McCartney II Deluxe Edition
DVD
* Coming Up [Live at Concert for the People of Kampuchea]

The concert album has never made an official release to any digital format. The Concerts For The People Of Kampuchea album was only released on vinyl/cassette and 8-track.

Paul McCartney & Wings
* Got To Get You Into My Life
* Every Night
* Coming Up
Rockestra
* Lucille
* Let It Be
* Rockestra Theme

No official home video version of the whole concert has been released (if I was a betting man - rights issues would be the reason).

There are grey market DVDs of:

* The original 1983 TV special Rock for Kampuchea. (72 mins)
* Japanese TV broadcast rebroadcast from 2008
* Concert For Kampuchea - the version that played in cinemas in 1988 (80mins)
Yeah, I think that pretty much covers anything official, or close to it. Such a shame. I came across an old interview while doing a recent search on this , and found a quote from someone who had talked to McCartney years ago about this project (but years after the concert), and McCartney supposedly told them that he originally felt that the Wings performance (maybe his part, who knows) was more of less not up to his standards, but that after rehearing it more recently felt quite different about it. I think this comment was from the early 2000's. I would generally guess rights issues are the big problem, as well. Such a pity.

As for his voice at the time, it's been worse. I came very close to passing on his first tour in years, in the early '90's. I had heard him on several talk shows leading up to his concert in L.A., and he really sounded worn. But about 2 weeks before the concert I saw him on one last show, and his voice was sounding much better. So I took a shot, looked up spare tickets, found one at face value, went to the concert, and was more than pleased. Always wondered if he had any artificial help with it, but not sure anything was advanced enough at that time to use in a live concert.

I was used to hearing concerts indoors at the San Diego Sports Arena, which sounded awful unless you had a fairly close-up seat. However, where I sat in the Forum it sounded incredibly clear and sharp. The bass was the best (fullest, deepest and most defined) that I have heard at any concert, including at high end play-purpose theaters, like the Pantages in L.A. Maybe it was partly the just up and off the floor corner seat I had (you know corner loading, lol), but that, the instruments, and vocals all sounded incredibly good. The sound on the following cd, and eventual video did not come close to it though I am afraid. But anyway, when they played the end to the Abbey Road album, to finish the concert, I practically melted into my seat, lol.

Well, enough of my prattling on, so many thanks again to everyone who has contributed on this thread. I had really been wanting some Kampuchea material for a long time.
BTL1210

Post by BTL1210 »

Thanks josepmn for another EXCELLENT share ......
Antonio218

Post by Antonio218 »

Muchas gracias jose. Many Thanks for this.
Gredel21

Post by Gredel21 »

Thank you all for the information and the uploads
Greg