Seems we can now create polls...

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...

The best time to be a Beatles fan was:

The 1960s, because you could experience everything first hand as it happened.
45%
The 1970s, because there were loads of (good) solo releases plus easy access to vast numbers of import albums.
3%
The 1980s, because it was the Golden Age Of Beatlegs and the first wave of really exciting unreleased material.
14%
The 1990s, because of Anthology and the whole Britpop thing which made it super cool to be a Beatles fan again.
4%
The 2000s onwards, because everything they ever did is now only a click away.
34%

Total votes: 77

Lord Reith

Seems we can now create polls...

Post by Lord Reith »

I just noticed this button when uploading a picture, so I'm going to make a poll...

Happy voting!
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
dascottjr

Re: Seems we can now create polls...

Post by dascottjr »

I was in high school and college during the nineties, and for some reason, I must have been in the part of the country where it was not, in fact, cool to like the Beatles again. Not before, during, or after Anthology. I was literally in the minority, and it's made me the bitter man that I am today. That said, the nineties were a pretty good time for Beatles material (Artifacts, Anthology, Flaming Pie, Vertical Man, etc).
A-Caceres

Post by A-Caceres »

dascottjr wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:01 pm I was in high school and college during the nineties, and for some reason, I must have been in the part of the country where it was not, in fact, cool to like the Beatles again. Not before, during, or after Anthology. I was literally in the minority, and it's made me the bitter man that I am today. That said, the nineties were a pretty good time for Beatles material (Artifacts, Anthology, Flaming Pie, Vertical Man, etc).
I was criticized looking at a Beatles magazine in '93 by this guy (he was looking through a Nintendo Power magazine). He mumbled something like "Hummph, Really? They suck and are old". This guy looked like he was in his early 40s, random stranger. I did ignore him. I didn't mind that when he left, he accidentally got his jacket caught in a shelf and knocked lots of stuff to the floor. I just stared at him and left quietly. Thinking about it now, he kind of looked like the comic book guy from The Simpsons.
monkeesfan1965

Post by monkeesfan1965 »

In 1999 I was at a music store and I found a copy of a Great Dane's BBC Sessions that I honestly didn't realize was a bootleg. I just saw a an interesting cover with John's guitar. Imagine my surprise hat a RETAIL store had this in thier CD bin. Imagine my DOUBLE surprise to learn it was a giant web page that I could read as I listened to the tracks- All 9 discs were on an interactive CD ROM This is essentially that disc- I still have it... somewhere....

https://www.gernhardt.com/beatles/cdrom/complete.html
"please tell your mother I am not a bum. I am a musician"
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

It was definitely not cool to like The Beatles in the 1980s at least where I came from. Even though they were revered by the old guard who controlled the media, down on the ground punk and new wave were the thing and Beatles fans were the enemy, particularly when prominent bands like PIL, REM and Flock Of Seagulls would openly dump on them in interviews. There were loads of "closet" fans and the typical thing was that if you met someone and started discussing music you would throw out something like "Oh and I do like some of the better old stuff too" and give a few examples, and if the other person responded positively then you would open up a bit. But if you went around openly saying you liked the Beatles you would either get (1) laughed at (2) sneered at. I can remember jamming with one guy and we were getting along famously until the moment I happened to mention that the Beatles were one of my big influences. And he actually kicked me out. "I don't think our musical tastes are compatible" or something.

When Oasis broke in the 90s and were quickly followed by Anthology it was literally like a switch had been flicked. It was then cool to like The Beatles and all was forgiven. Suddenly they were viewed as being relevant again and while there were still people who did not like them, you would not be looked down upon for being a fan.

These days I find that most people under 30 know two or three of their songs but, beyond that, know nothing whatsoever about them. Which is kind of good, because there's no longer any political angle to it. People who haven't heard their music might suddenly get exposed to it and just become fans because they like the songs, with no baggage attached. Sadly I can't see any evidence of Red & Blue 2023 having done that, although Now And then had a brief but effective promotional value. It's kind of come full circle and the whole 90s revival is history and it's back to random people hearing the Beatles in random ways and just becoming fans for that reason.
Nimbus

Post by Nimbus »

There's no option for ..... 'All Of The Above'

It was the 70's for me but I wish I was there in the 60's. (Well, I was but just a toddler/kid)
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I would have liked to be there for the 60s.

I'd set my time machine for January 1st, 1960, then I'd buy a house in London and the North and some serious AV equipment. I would hire a personal stage makeup artist to disguise me each time I went to a Beatles show to record it so I would not become involved and disrupt the timeline. Later on I'd tape and film all their broadcasts and get a job at United Artists where I could rescue the film trims before they got destroyed.

Yes, it would be quite a busy and fullfilling life. And when I reached this year again, I would... hoard it all. :lol:
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

I am a Taurus born in April in the year of the rat on Vandenberg AFB, California...(Lompoc, Point Conception, Slick 6)
This is the West Coast HitBound 8-Crystal Transistor Radio, 20 U.S. Beatles L.P. version of Beatlemania in a climate that is beads of dew and breezy afternoons and Rifleman reruns and Schwinn Sting Ray. Beatles cognizance was beyond me but I received all albums starting with Sgt Pepper in 1967 in order of release.
Hey Jude LP was a nation in denial, thus 'again' for an extra year.
RAM made me hopeful...
Sticky Fingers dashed any such optimism.
1972 was my first marijuana.
1973 Adolescence.
1974 Honda CR250 Elsinore .
1975 Born To Run/Driving Permit/Yamaha Enduro AT3.
1976 Drivers License/Ford Mustang(1969 coupe $400),
1977 Kawasaki 900cc(1975 Z1 $600)
Et Cetera!!!
It was all just a path that leads to this comment.
All rivers flow to the sea
(Especially on that Kawi!!!)
KC
Golem

Post by Golem »

awesome! I remember asking WilliamShears for this feature a while back
fab4gear

Post by fab4gear »

I'm 73 & it's got to be the 60's for me, a magical decade!
I saw the Beatles live in concert 6 times, 5 times in the UK & once in the US (The Shea).
My biggest regret is not taking a camera or even more so a portable tape recorder & a couple of 3 inch reels (which I did have at home)
to the 66' Wembley NME Poll Winners concert to tape the Beatles set or even just part of it, altho it would have probably been lousy quality!!!
"In My Life, I've Loved Them All "