Seems we can now create polls...

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...

The best time to be a Beatles fan was:

The 1960s, because you could experience everything first hand as it happened.
45%
The 1970s, because there were loads of (good) solo releases plus easy access to vast numbers of import albums.
3%
The 1980s, because it was the Golden Age Of Beatlegs and the first wave of really exciting unreleased material.
14%
The 1990s, because of Anthology and the whole Britpop thing which made it super cool to be a Beatles fan again.
4%
The 2000s onwards, because everything they ever did is now only a click away.
34%

Total votes: 77

simond9X

Re: Seems we can now create polls...

Post by simond9X »

fab4gear wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:30 am I'm 73 & it's got to be the 60's for me, a magical decade!
Wow! I'm just a year behind you but never did get to see them. My older cousin in Liverpool wanted to take me to a lunchtime gig at the Cavern but my parents wouldn't let me go. I was 10.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

simond9X wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:10 amMy older cousin in Liverpool wanted to take me to a lunchtime gig at the Cavern but my parents wouldn't let me go. I was 10.
Oh WHAT???!!!

I would never get over something like that. :shock:
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Well, as suddenly as the "poll" option appeared it's gone again! :(

Nice while it lasted. At least I got to make one.
recce13

Post by recce13 »

Looks like the poll is back...I just had to log in first, then I was able to cast my vote.
MP3J

Post by MP3J »

Becoming a fan and collector in 77 aged 15 was great, i got a cleaning job after school hours and spent every hard earned £1 catching up.
Within a year i'd got just about everything Beatle and Solo available. It was all on catalogue and in stock.
The 80's was about finding bootlegs.
In the 90's i became a full on music fan...Saturdays was spent picking up anything that took my fancy....Britpop, Dance, Ambient, Triphop, Grunge....the 90's was a golden decade only surpassed by the 60's i believe. My Beatle habit continued of course!
In the early 2000's things changed....i was made redundant so all buying of non essentials ended, and to this day i haven't bought any music that isn't Beatle related. 2000 was also the year i first touched a PC, and i fell in love! I can still remember finding my first mp3, a revelation!
2003.... Get Your Bootleg On....a forum VERY like this one and i was in heaven, mashups reinvigorated my love of The Beatles and i'm still hooked.
I find it hard to pick a specific era to call the best, but in the end i went for now....but i would have loved to have been of an age to have really appreciated the 60's.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

MP3J wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:38 pmBritpop, Dance, Ambient, Triphop, Grunge....the 90's was a golden decade only surpassed by the 60's i believe. My Beatle habit continued of course!
In the early 2000's things changed....i was made redundant so all buying of non essentials ended, and to this day i haven't bought any music that isn't Beatle related. 2000 was also the year i first touched a PC, and i fell in love!
I agree, the 90s was almost as good as the 60s. I can remember clearly the start of the 90s which was like the start of the 60s in that it seemed like the rock scene had spent itself. But then around 94 began an incredible run of great music. Of course there was a load of crap as well but I remember being amazed at how many great bands there were all of a sudden. I suppose there's still good music being made by someone but it's too much hard work finding it these days. I read that 85% of the stuff on Spotify has never had more than 500 streams, and there are millions more songs being uploaded every month. Sadly I think it's all become a joke now. Just thousands of "artists" in their bedrooms uploading complete crap that no one listens too, with AI making matters worse. And the only stuff that gets pushed or editorialised is the autotuned garbage the major labels churn out... and I can sure do without that.

I keep hoping that we'll see some major revolutionary change either through technology or some random talent. I long to be surprised and amazed. It seems unlikely now, but who knows.
Golem

Post by Golem »

I'm honestly at the point where I think I like the solo stuff more than the 60s stuff, so if I had to go back in time I'd probably pick the 70s tbh
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Okay, I get it now... seems you can only create polls in the "miscellaneous" board!

Noted for future use...
miggynav

Post by miggynav »

fab4gear wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:30 am I'm 73 & it's got to be the 60's for me, a magical decade!
I saw the Beatles live in concert 6 times, 5 times in the UK & once in the US (The Shea).
My biggest regret is not taking a camera or even more so a portable tape recorder & a couple of 3 inch reels (which I did have at home)
to the 66' Wembley NME Poll Winners concert to tape the Beatles set or even just part of it, altho it would have probably been lousy quality!!!
Imagine if you had mobile phone cameras during those days!