Non 1986 George Martin remixes of Rubber Soul & Help! on UK LPs

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
AndInTheEnd

Non 1986 George Martin remixes of Rubber Soul & Help! on UK LPs

Post by AndInTheEnd »

Hi guys

I am trying to source good stereo UK vinyl copies of both "Rubber Soul" and "Help!" that don't use George Martin's pre-CD 1986 remixes.

I'm not worried if they aren't original 1965 copies, but am stuck in the minefield of any vinyl issued POST 1986. Do all these reissues feature the more recent mixes, or are there some that still have the original mixes? I've got all the 2012 reissues, and of course RS and H! from these have the newer mixes.

I've eyed up some more modern reissues, but nobody ever says what mix they use, aarghh 🤬!! It might be that I need to look back to the 1984 reissues, just to be sure...

Maybe the question I need to ask is.. did they use the 1986 remixes on ALL vinyl reissues after the first set of CDs were released 🤔?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but grateful if anyone can help in my quest to track down decent copies (and, if so, by which year of reissue!).

Cheers guys

AiTE 😎👍
Captain_Kidd

Re: Non 1986 George Martin remixes of Rubber Soul & Help! on UK LPs

Post by Captain_Kidd »

AndInTheEnd wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:48 am
Maybe the question I need to ask is.. did they use the 1986 remixes on ALL vinyl reissues after the first set of CDs were released 🤔?
It's a good question, and the answer is yes, they used the 1986 remixes on all vinyl reissues, and in all countries.

The only way to source the original mixes on vinyl is to get hold of any release before the CD era, and for this you'll have to go second-hand.

The original mixes are available on CD as a bonus in the 2009 Mono CD box set.

The Cap'n
jpgrcat1960

Post by jpgrcat1960 »

Around 1990 in Canada both Help! & Rubber Soul, in Canada
were released using the 1965 releases by 'Disque Americ',
I have both CD's

& in 2009, later the Mono versions, contained the 1965 original Stereo as a 2;1
for the both albums

Not sure on the LP's, except prior to 1986
harrylime

Post by harrylime »

AndInTheEnd wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:48 am Do all these reissues feature the more recent mixes, or are there some that still have the original mixes?
When the CD’s were introduced their (digital) masters also became the masters for the vinyl reissues. At the same time all other vinyl releases were pulled from the catalogue (Oldies, Hollywood, Love Songs etc). So that means any post-87 vinyl is digitally sourced and thus had the GM 86 remixes for Help! and Rubber Soul. The only upside from all this is that MMT became the proper stereo version for the first time, instead of the Capitol version.

The only exceptions have been the post-2009 all-analogue vinyl reissue box sets.
Last edited by harrylime on Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndInTheEnd

Post by AndInTheEnd »

Thanks everyone. I think the only way forward is to track down 1984 pressings - and I'm already "on the case"! Sadly the 2012 stereo vinyl boxset that I recently got (an actual set that belonged to Ringo's old manager!) has the 1986 mixes, hence I'm looking to place these in with them.

Thank you all for confirming my fears. It only dawned on me today that even THESE "modern" presses are.. FORTY YEARS OLD THIS YEAR!! Yikes!!

Cheers all.

AiTE 😎👍
therowdyman

Post by therowdyman »

The stereo 1965 mixes were released on the 2009 Beatles In Mono CD Boxset
AndInTheEnd

Post by AndInTheEnd »

Yes, I know, I already have the mono CD set.

I also have the 2012 stereo vinyl boxset and wanted to add these two original mixes to it as vinyl for completeness' sake, as it only has the 1986/7 remix versions of H! and RS.

AiTE
Last edited by AndInTheEnd on Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harrylime

Post by harrylime »

therowdyman wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:05 pm The stereo 1965 mixes were released on the 2009 Beatles In Mono CD Boxset
As the topic title clearly states we’re talking vinyl here.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

The best way to get any original albums is to buy a blue box. Lots of fans bought them just for completism and they were never played, or they were bought as presents for casual fans who never played more than one or two of them.

The early blue boxes were made up of anything in the warehouse at the time and so mix valve and transistor cuts from every imaginable period. Not good in my opinion. The later blue boxes especially around 1984 use new pressings. The blue box rip I have for instance has all of Harry Mosses last cuts from 1984, and they all sound fab.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
AndInTheEnd

Post by AndInTheEnd »

Why didn't I think of that.. d'oh 🤦‍♂️!!

I WAS originally looking out for a good "Blue" boxset, but then a copy of the 2012 vinyl box (which belonged to Ringo's old manager) popped up, and I liked the provenance, even though there sadly isn't anything with it to say as such - the guy was selling off a whole stack of things that belonged to him, after he passed away!

I've actually now got hold of a 1984 pressing of Help! which seems ok, and likewise for Rubber Soul (which is arriving tomorrow). These will probably do for me for now at least.

Oh, and I meant to add.. BOTH the H! and RS 1984's that I've got (or have coming) are Harry Moss jobbies too, so I am pretty chuffed!! 😻👍

Thank you dear Lord.. and everyone else here! 😎👍🕉

AiTE