Copy protected CDs

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
Kando

Re: Copy protected CDs

Post by Kando »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:22 am I wish I'd kept my cd recorder. That was a lovely bit of kit.
Yeah, I'll probably hang onto mine until they, or myself, no longer works. :)

Another nice feature of the Yamahas was that they could properly record cd's to HD at various higher speeds, and then do the same back onto cdr's, though you could only use one of the slower speeds to do the proprietary recording. Oh, and since it spread out the 1's and 0's it also slightly reduced any cdr's recording space, so you had to be a bit careful with that. Thankfully Mam-a did sell some slightly extended cdr's, which helped a bit.
"So long, and thanks for all the fish!"
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Kando wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:10 am
Lord Reith wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:22 am I wish I'd kept my cd recorder. That was a lovely bit of kit.
Yeah, I'll probably hang onto mine until they, or myself, no longer works. :)
Proving the dictum I usually stick to that one should never throw anything away, I didn't use it for ten years until I got rid of it, and then immediately needed it. It would have been very useful for ripping vinyl. I've tried connecting to my computer but they spew out too much interference for a turntable and I get lots of background noise.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Kando

Post by Kando »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:43 am
Proving the dictum I usually stick to that one should never throw anything away, I didn't use it for ten years until I got rid of it, and then immediately needed it. It would have been very useful for ripping vinyl. I've tried connecting to my computer but they spew out too much interference for a turntable and I get lots of background noise.
Yes, it unfortunately probably takes some fairly costly gear, and a lot of practice, to do really proper needledrops. That's probably the main reason why I never got into it. Although that might have changed if '08 had not come along. I had developed an extremely nice cd/dvd based system by then, but had also developed enough knowledge about bootlegs, and their procurement, that I pretty much decided to stick with digital for the time being.

That said I do just wish I had gotten more into lp's when I was younger, but with the limited funds I had I generally stuck with a cheaper cassette based collection. And then later I unfortunately thought companies, as a whole, would do a much better job at releasing and improving upon older releases, via cd's, which of course turned out to be very hit and miss. I'm just extremely glad that so many people did take it upon themselves to undertake so many great needledrop projects. When I got my first few Beatleg cds, of the Beatles first UK releases back in the early 2000's, I was amazed at how good they were. I had no idea they could be done so flawlessly. Guess that's what comes of getting into computers relatively late as well, ha, ha.

I also just recently remembered that I've got to get my hands on some more Music (Digital) cdr's while there are any left to buy. I took a look last night, and was relieved to find that there still seems to be a decent supply of inkjet printable Mam-a cdr's still out there, which have been my go to. It's been so long since I had burned any that I completely forgot about the fact that I need the special Music cdr's, not the pc ones. Almost had a heart attack until I figured out there is still a decent amount still out there, which surprised me a bit. The silver ones are fairly decently priced, but the gold archive ones seem to have gone up, since I bought some several years back. However, no one has listed any of the gold ones as Music/Digital Audio discs, but that could just be an oversight, since most suppliers seem to be pretty lazy about providing much product info. Glad I made both silver and gold archive duplicates of my entire original bootleg collection many years back. But with all the different great releases on here I'll being needing to do quite a few more. :D

Thanks LR, and all others who have done such great video work as well. Those were never my forte before, but I am definitely putting together a small but well loved collection now thanks to you folks. Keep up the great work.
kekchoos

Post by kekchoos »

skynet wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:38 pm I just start recently to re - digitize some of my CDs, in particular the Box sets, in high quality flac files, but is annoyingly slow with the ones that are copy protected, to which EAC is doing an amazing job but is taking like 10 to 12 hours per CD with that, i know is because of this protection, and EAC is one of the best software's for that out there but does anyone know any other method, perhaps?

Let me know if someone have anything

Regards
I think VWestLife did a review on such discs sometime. However, I never came across them (or I did, but I didn't notice their peculiarities and ripped them easily). I feel your pain. Wouldn't it be easier to do a search online for rips on trackers?
:arrow: No re-uploads possible due to technical restrictions :idea:
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

Could it be EAC taking that many hours because the discs have faults?
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Kando wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:26 pm I also just recently remembered that I've got to get my hands on some more Music (Digital) cdr's while there are any left to buy.
I bought my Philips recorder in 1999, and blew nearly a grand on "music" cdrs before I realised that I could just insert a blank music cdr, wait for it to register the disc and then disengage, and then pull the drawer open with my fingers, insert a cheap ordinary cdr, push the drawer shut and press record.

I really hated the concept behind those music cdrs. They were like five times the price and yet were no more "musical" than plain ordinary data cdrs. They were literally the same thing. Where and who did the extra money go to? Random artists? The whole concept was a complete scam. No doubt all that money just went to the labels and into the pockets of the CEOs.

Actually, the reason I binned my Philips was because I no longer had any music cdrs to do the cheat, and I assumed they'd stopped making them 20 years ago when every computer started to come with a burner. Oh well. :(
Kando

Post by Kando »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:56 pm
I bought my Philips recorder in 1999, and blew nearly a grand on "music" cdrs before I realised that I could just insert a blank music cdr, wait for it to register the disc and then disengage, and then pull the drawer open with my fingers, insert a cheap ordinary cdr, push the drawer shut and press record.

I really hated the concept behind those music cdrs. They were like five times the price and yet were no more "musical" than plain ordinary data cdrs. They were literally the same thing. Where and who did the extra money go to? Random artists? The whole concept was a complete scam. No doubt all that money just went to the labels and into the pockets of the CEOs.

Actually, the reason I binned my Philips was because I no longer had any music cdrs to do the cheat, and I assumed they'd stopped making them 20 years ago when every computer started to come with a burner. Oh well. :(
Wow, that's a trick that I never heard of, but then I'd be too afraid to try it on my Yamaha, as I'd probably break knowing my luck, lol.

Yeah, when I went to buy some music cdr's about 6-8 years ago, to archive all my stuff, I was really worried there might not be any around. Fortunately that was not the case, but prices had definitely gone up. The gold ones really hurt a bit though. Not sure I'd want to pay the price they are asking for them now. I can get the silver Mam-a cdr's for about .75 per, but the gold ones are around 4 times that, yikes.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

The gold ones actually do work though. The earliest gold cds I have from the early 90s still work, unlike some of the ones from ten years later which worked for about a month!
Kando

Post by Kando »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:57 pm The gold ones actually do work though. The earliest gold cds I have from the early 90s still work, unlike some of the ones from ten years later which worked for about a month!
That's exactly why I wanted to make sure I put everything of value on gold disc, because I knew everything might have to sit in storage for quite some time. That being said, a friend I made MR MFSL copies for over 10 years ago is till using those Mam-a silver cd's with no issue, so I am hoping all of my silver copies are also still good. I know some people think cdr's like Mam-a and Taiyo Yuden were over rated, but all the bootlegs I had meant too much to me to take chances, so I was willing to pay more.
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

Kando wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:31 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:57 pm The gold ones actually do work though. The earliest gold cds I have from the early 90s still work, unlike some of the ones from ten years later which worked for about a month!
That's exactly why I wanted to make sure I put everything of value on gold disc, because I knew everything might have to sit in storage for quite some time. That being said, a friend I made MR MFSL copies for over 10 years ago is till using those Mam-a silver cd's with no issue, so I am hoping all of my silver copies are also still good. I know some people think cdr's like Mam-a and Taiyo Yuden were over rated, but all the bootlegs I had meant too much to me to take chances, so I was willing to pay more.
The original Mitsui and Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs were the absolute best. I still use them when necessary.