LET IT BE or RUBBER SOUL??? You Be The Judge And Jury

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Mixerrog

Re: LET IT BE or RUBBER SOUL??? You Be The Judge And Jury

Post by Mixerrog »

I vote "Rubber Soul" for sure. "Let It Be" was a thrown together mess of songs IMO just to sell more Albums at the end. I consider Abbey Road as their last Album & it was recorded to be that way.

I would hope that they could use the latest AI stem separation tools on Rubber Soul like I did a few years ago to make more modern stereo mixes of Rubber Soul also.

Rog
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

I'd prefer Rubber Soul, and indeed the rest of the albums in due course.

I would like a good copy of the Let It Be film too, but I get the feeling Apple/Beatles/whoever are pretty much disowning it. I know Peter Jackson, approved in principle, almost ready to go etc... but it's the same we've been hearing for decades. There is no love for the film, and no occasion on which to pin it. For me, I think Apple put it in the same bucket as The Compleat Beatles, 20 Greatest Hits, the Movie Medley etc. ie, something put together by a non-Beatle, which they'd rather we just forgot about.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Mr Bump wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:37 pm I'd prefer Rubber Soul, and indeed the rest of the albums in due course.

I would like a good copy of the Let It Be film too, but I get the feeling Apple/Beatles/whoever are pretty much disowning it. I know Peter Jackson, approved in principle, almost ready to go etc... but it's the same we've been hearing for decades. There is no love for the film, and no occasion on which to pin it. For me, I think Apple put it in the same bucket as The Compleat Beatles, 20 Greatest Hits, the Movie Medley etc. ie, something put together by a non-Beatle, which they'd rather we just forgot about.
I tend to agree with that but LIB now seems as close to having a green light as is possible. That's why I'm thinking it may actually trump a RS set this year. If they follow the pattern of the other movies then it would come in a box with other stuff plus hopefully many extras. I would think something like that would be worthy of this year's "slot".
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Kando

Post by Kando »

I guess that I really, ...... really have have not followed the LIB issue as closely as many others have here. :oops: When all the lost tapes/film were found so many years ago there was always the talk of properly re-editing LIB, the film, for a new release, which I had long hoped for, in order to possibly correct the slanted viewpoint of the original. When Get Back was released I somewhat assumed that would be the end of it. So unless they have a significant amount of good unreleased material that could be added to it I don't really see the point of re-releasing any video related material of it at all. Same goes for outakes, etc. I guess as well. That being said, I hated LIB...Naked, so I would very much love a proper digital source of it, without GM's lousy volume and limiting intrusions. I can't wait another 20 years for needledrops of the remastered LP's. ;)
"So long, and thanks for all the fish!"
eclipsed1

Post by eclipsed1 »

I'm hoping for Rubber Soul - I'm a bit "Get Backed" out at the moment. And while Peter Jackson's Doc was fantastic (more than I could have hoped for) I feel like the public at large was a bit underwhelmed by the content (it's a slow mover unless you're a die-hard fan like we are), while also being overwhelmed at the sheer size of the thing - six hours to get to the Roof is a big ask for the casual fan.

While the let It Be album is a classic, Rubber Soul just has better songs, like LR says. The boys are at their creative peak, they're still excited about their creative unity, and it was a monumental album for its time which stands the test of time. It doesn't get much better than this.

I would imagine that they'll wait until 2025 and do a Help/RS set to capitalize on the anniversary angle though.
tulirepo

Post by tulirepo »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:45 pm ... LIB now seems as close to having a green light as is possible. That's why I'm thinking it may actually trump a RS set this year. If they follow the pattern of the other movies then it would come in a box with other stuff plus hopefully many extras.
What extras could that be? Outtakes like the reportedly cut All Things Must Pass sequence? Other cuts from the raw version of the film that was shown to the Beatles in summer 1969? If they present outtakes, they should be related to the production history of the film. Any other footage from the giant pool of tapes from January 69 would not make too much sense, in my opinion.
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

Well, the Help! DVD box set included lobby cards, a replica of the typed script and one or two other things. They could do a package like that, but I think if they ever do re-issue the film, it will have to be in its original edit - no extended 'director's cut' or anything - otherwise, what's the point?
tulirepo

Post by tulirepo »

Mr Bump wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:34 am Well, the Help! DVD box set included lobby cards, a replica of the typed script and one or two other things. They could do a package like that, but I think if they ever do re-issue the film, it will have to be in its original edit - no extended 'director's cut' or anything - otherwise, what's the point?
They could present a remastered copy of the original cut AND an extra disc with the sequences that were included in the raw version but didn't make the final cut. I think that would be interesting.