MEGAupload can take forever- WORKAROUND

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
Egg_Crisis

Re: MEGAupload can take forever- WORKAROUND

Post by Egg_Crisis »

It's just
megatools dl LINK
Those dashes might be confusing to some!

And if a download (or upload) is incomplete due to (something?) then resubmitting the command again usually resumes!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Yeah, that was just after I had mucked around with it and it kept saying "syntax incorrect" and then that suddenly worked, so I left in the dashes.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Kando

Post by Kando »

Egg_Crisis wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:36 pm It doesn't "install" in the conventional sense, so you can put it anywhere. Put it somewhere you can easily find, like your "Downloads" folder.
That's pretty much what I was guessing, but just wanted to double-check on it. Thanks.
Lord Reith wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:08 pm If you're computer is 64 bit windows then use that one yes. Just save the zip to anywhere you like it doesn't matter. Then extract the megatools folder and click on the megacmd.bat file and a command window should appear. Actually I clicked on the .exe file first and a command window appeared for about half a second so I'm not sure what that did and if it's necessary to do that first (haven't needed to do it since). If the bat doesn't work you may need to right click and select "run as administrator".

In the command window paste your url like so:

Code: Select all

megatools dl -- - placemegalinkhere

and hit ENTER. That's it. It'll download to the same folder.

Like most command line programs it assumes a certain level of understanding so I didn't find the instructions at all useful, but this seems to work. All it does is allow you to bypass all the hoops and bullshit and download straight to your computer instead of to the memory.
Thanks, that helps. If contributors of this sort generally give somewhat useful tips on how to use stuff I can usually get by own my own, but the page regarding this tool was really rather baffling, and they didn't even link the actual tool on the main page. I started to link and look through the base code first, lol. I'll keep a note of the possible .exe file use as well. I mean, one would usually assume that the .exe was the first and main file you'd use, but who knows with this unusual one.
Egg_Crisis wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:20 pm It's just
megatools dl LINK
Those dashes might be confusing to some!

And if a download (or upload) is incomplete due to (something?) then resubmitting the command again usually resumes!
Thanks for your comments as well. I was somewhat guessing the same thing about the dashes, but really appreciate the clarification. and incomplete download tip.
"So long, and thanks for all the fish!"
Kando

Post by Kando »

Okay, well I thought I would be good to go after the various help tips, but I am not getting the simplified window, after clicking on the .bat file, like you folks seem to do, lol. Even right clicking on it, and selecting 'run as administrator', gives me a similar incorrect (I believe) window, such as follows:

Megatools Shell
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.22631.3155]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\users name\Downloads\Megatools-1.11.1.20230212-win64>

Now, I'm used to this type of window for weird Command Line fixes, etc. I have used it in the past, but this isn't what you were really talking about is it?

Sorry, if I come across a bit non-pc nerdy, lol.
Egg_Crisis

Post by Egg_Crisis »

Kando wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:52 pm I'll keep a note of the possible .exe file use as well. I mean, one would usually assume that the .exe was the first and main file you'd use, but who knows with this unusual one.
The exe IS the main file you use!
When you type every megatools command the first word is megatools, and that calls up megatools.exe.
Egg_Crisis

Post by Egg_Crisis »

Kando wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:38 pm Megatools Shell
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.22631.3155]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\users name\Downloads\Megatools-1.11.1.20230212-win64>
That's supposed to happen.
(The batch file is just a lazy way of invoking a dos box/command window. The exe does the real work - see previous post.)
Now you have a command window ready to type your first megatools command.
C90

Post by C90 »

bobzilla wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:12 pm
C90 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:45 am Does anyone know how to delete files from a Mega account?!
  1. Log in to the site. It should immediately take you to your "Cloud drive".
  2. Find the item(s) you want to remove.
  3. Right click
  4. Click "Move to Rubbish bin"
  5. If a prompt comes up to verify, click "Move"[
  6. Right click the Rubbish bin
  7. Click "Empty Rubbish bin"
  8. At the prompt, click "Empty"
Thanks! Very helpful - I'm actually on a Mac but know that the equivalent to 'right click' is the control key, and it gets the same results.
I never thought of 'right clicking' and had not seen the list of options there inc. 'move to rubbish bin' - problem solved!
Kando

Post by Kando »

Egg_Crisis wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:31 am That's supposed to happen.
(The batch file is just a lazy way of invoking a dos box/command window. The exe does the real work - see previous post.)
Now you have a command window ready to type your first megatools command.
Thanks for the reply, but not really understanding some if it. It sounds like I was supposed to get this command window, true?
If that is the case I have tried entering what I have seen posted, but it doesn't get any download results, simply a lot of lines with stuff I either do not really understand, lol, or stuff like No Progress, or password, etc. included with info I don't necessarily understand, lol.

I'm listening to episodes of 'How the Universe Works' in the background, while on the pc, and I can understand all the technical info on there (like Beta decay, or electron degeneracy) better than I can this, ha, ha.

I think I may be better off just downloading it how I have, as I actually haven't generally had that much of a problem, other than daily download limits, and such.
Egg_Crisis

Post by Egg_Crisis »

Kando wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:04 am Thanks for the reply, but not really understanding some if it. It sounds like I was supposed to get this command window, true?
Yes.

Into the command window, type the word megatools without any of the other words after it and see what happens.

It should output something like this...
Usage:
megatools dl [--no-progress] [--path <path>] <links>...
megatools dl --path - <filelink>
megatools df [--free|--total|--used] [--mb|--gb|-h]
megatools ls [-e] [-h] [--header] [-l] [-R] [-n] [<remotepaths>...]
megatools test [-f|-d] <remotepaths>...
That's the first few lines, I've cut it short.

If it does that you're good to go.
Kando

Post by Kando »

Egg_Crisis wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:42 pm Yes.
Into the command window, type the word megatools without any of the other words after it and see what happens.
It should output something like this...
Usage:
megatools dl [--no-progress] [--path <path>] <links>...
megatools dl --path - <filelink>
megatools df [--free|--total|--used] [--mb|--gb|-h]
megatools ls [-e] [-h] [--header] [-l] [-R] [-n] [<remotepaths>...]
megatools test [-f|-d] <remotepaths>...
That's the first few lines, I've cut it short.
If it does that you're good to go.
Thanks for the response, really. Okay, I did that and got exactly as you showed. But I am a bit unsure of exactly what I'm normally supposed to input on that line. Color me really, really stupid, but I'm really just 'monkey seeing, monkey doing' right now till I get a better idea of how this exactly works, ha, ha.

I tried copying how others had seemed to state, such as follows:

C:\Users\User Name\Downloads\Megatools-1.11.1.20230212-win64>megatools D1 link

but did not appear to get anything from it.

Oh, and I guess importantly, where do the downloads end up at? I was guessing from what was stated that they ended up in a folder in the Megatools files, no, yes?

FYI: I will consider this a major computer accomplishment if I actually get this figured out, lol.