MEGAupload can take forever- WORKAROUND

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
Lord Reith

Re: MEGAupload can take forever- WORKAROUND

Post by Lord Reith »

Kando wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:40 am
Lord Reith wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:34 am Show me the command and I will see if I can spot what's wrong.
"Your wish is my command, oh master".

C:\Users\user name\Downloads\megatools-1.11.1.20230212-win64>megatools dl https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... NV-GSYjwyM --path C:\Users\user name\Documents\Miscellaneous music info and downloads\Mega downloads --choose-files
Well you're trying to download a file from google drive. It'll only download from Mega.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Kando

Post by Kando »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:16 am Well you're trying to download a file from google drive. It'll only download from Mega.
So, is that a problem?! :lol:

Oh, why do they not have a large banging head against the wall 'emoji' on here? Why, why, why! :oops: :oops: :oops:

So, sorry for the temporary insanity, once again. Don't know why I ever stopped using drugs. At least then I would have an excuse, lol.

I just love being the guy making the stupid obvious mistakes, lol. Thanks LR, and thanks ever much for working on those commands. Hope you didn't stay up late just to answer my enquiries of nonsense. I'll work on this properly, and hopefully have success now.
Last edited by Kando on Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"So long, and thanks for all the fish!"
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

[quote=Kando post_id=130727 time=1709433623 user_id=2188
I just love being the guy making the stupid obvious mistakes, lol.
[/quote]

Well, we have to have at least one! :P

No, seriously, it's the sort of mistake I'd make. That's how magicians fool their audiences... get them to focus on one thing and they don't notice what happened in the background.

Imagine a time not so long ago when doing ANYTHING on a computer required mastery of this sort of thing. And a tolerance for green fonts.
monkeesfan1965

Post by monkeesfan1965 »

"please tell your mother I am not a bum. I am a musician"
Kando

Post by Kando »

Okay, got it down for the most part, but have run into an interesting issue or two.

Firstly, it would not work for me until I renamed the download folder as 1 word, not two, such as 'Megadownloads' instead of 'Mega downloads', and

Secondly, I had to place the folder as you apparently did, directly as a top-folder on the C drive. It would not let me bury it in the Downloads folder.

The strange thing though is that the very first time I got it to work correctly, I chose some of the first several numbered files the cmd window showed me, such 3-11, and it downloaded the artwork folder w/jpeg files and the following 3 or so tracks of the album, exactly as I selected. However, after trying to place the download folder back in Downloads, which of course did not work, I went back to the top directory method placement, tried almost the same procedure, but then it downloaded everything within the album folder, including files I had not chosen. In other words it downloaded 1-24, or something like that, even when I only chose 2-11 this time. I deleted all the previous downloads from the download folder, just to see if that made any difference, but it did not. Weird!

Interestingly it also created the parent folder for the name of the linked page's folder ('MFSL Albums'), which had a lower file number (1) that I did not select, and it also created the direct parent folder name that contained the files selected ([2] Abbey Road), which I had selected.

I tried this a few times and got the same results. It kept downloading all the files within the folder/album file selected, even though I was not actually selecting most of the file numbers within that folder. However (drum roll please), I finally figured out that if you select the file number for either the Category parent folder, such as for 'MFSL albums', or even just the immediate top folder/file number for the album name (Abbey Road) along with even just a few of the files inside the first album, it will download the entire album.

Choosing only files within the album seems to be the only way to make it download just the files selected, when it comes to something like music files, the way they are categorized online. But at least it does automatically number every single thing imaginable, so it isn't that hard to pick out what you want downloaded. And it seemingly will go ahead and create a properly named parent folder for them anyway. With a bit of practice it could be done relatively easily, even for a stooge like me, lol.

Hope all that makes sense.

Anyway, it looks like I am good to go, and thanks again for the help LR! Really!

signed: 'The Dumbest Kid in the Klass'

EDIT: P.S. if the Dumbest Kid had gone back and reread LR's post on commands he might have noticed that the issue regarding everything within a folder getting downloaded automatically, if the parent folder/file is selected, was actually covered there. There's a reason why he is the 'Dumbest Kid', lol.
Last edited by Kando on Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Probably because you changed the folder location without closing the command window. If you do something like that, start again from scratch and do "choose files" again.
Egg_Crisis

Post by Egg_Crisis »

Kando wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:28 am Okay, got it down for the most part, but have run into an interesting issue or two.

Firstly, it would not work for me until I renamed the download folder as 1 word, not two, such as 'Megadownloads' instead of 'Mega downloads', and
It doesn't like spaces. Try putting the full path within quotes.

example:
megatools dl hxxps://mega.nz/folder/cgNFSSqC#_qB6_mALmb7UYxYYW6bCRw --path "C:\Folder name\another folder name\etc" --choose-files
Kando

Post by Kando »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:07 pm Probably because you changed the folder location without closing the command window. If you do something like that, start again from scratch and do "choose files" again.
Ah, okay. I think something like that crossed my mind at one time, but I was so engrossed in all the various issues with this that I probably did not check on it.

Edit: Okay, tried it all again, and yes, I must have done it while the cmd window was still open. I moved the folder to where I would prefer it and it worked fine. Forgot to add the actual folder name at the end of the copied path link, which is annoying to have to do, so it downloaded in the folder above it, but no problems.

Thanks much for the suggestion, and all else. I must say it is a handy little tool, and I actually like that it automatically creates the parent folder for the highest level file selected. I am guessing that it may even help with some of the various large video files that keep getting split up into multiple annoying download files. And even though I have pretty decent download times to start with, I do like the fact it skips over all the 'save file', 'save to selected folder' stuff', etc.

With a bit of practice it should be quite handy.
Kando

Post by Kando »

Egg_Crisis wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:41 pm
Kando wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:28 am Okay, got it down for the most part, but have run into an interesting issue or two.

It doesn't like spaces. Try putting the full path within quotes.

example:
megatools dl hxxps://mega.nz/folder/cgNFSSqC#_qB6_mALmb7UYxYYW6bCRw --path "C:\Folder name\another folder name\etc" --choose-files
Houston, we have lift-off! Yes, you were right. quotations made the difference. I've now got the download folder exactly where I want it, and named how I would prefer it, and all works exactly as described. Sort of feel like I should get another CC Assoc. degree to go along with all my other ones, lol.

Thank you and LR for all your help on this, and I hope it all helps anyone else in my situation that comes across this thread. I'll be making a Note or Word doc, with all this helpful info in it, and place it in the Megatools and Download folders for future reference.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Glad you got it to work.