MEGAupload can take forever- WORKAROUND

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
monkeesfan1965

MEGAupload can take forever- WORKAROUND

Post by monkeesfan1965 »

SO- I got MEGAsync from Megaupload. They download faster for free! AND, since I use VPN, I simply re-connect in another State/zone, and VIOLA! The limit is reset, and I can continue downoading ;) This is a handy tip for anyone that doesn't want to wait days for more bandwidth from MEGAupload
I got 23 gig of stuff in the last 4 hours! :twisted: :D :lol:
"please tell your mother I am not a bum. I am a musician"
MrMurphMcgee

Re: MEGAupload can take forever- WORKAROUND

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

Why not just buy a month of the basic service for $4.95. It’s really worth it when you think of all you are downloading? Plus the app allows you to stream your content and download locally in the app, which I do for long drives.
monkeesfan1965

Post by monkeesfan1965 »

I likely will subscribe, but I was offering a way for those that may not be able to afford.
MP3J

Post by MP3J »

Mega nearly destroys my pc for some reason, especially with large downloads....it races and really doesn't like it....it's similar to when you're using one of those AI models. I try to aviod it if at all possible.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

MP3J wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:12 pm Mega nearly destroys my pc for some reason, especially with large downloads....it races and really doesn't like it....it's similar to when you're using one of those AI models. I try to aviod it if at all possible.
Me too. I hate even opening it. Other download sites just give you the file straight away, whereas mega goes through a whole complicated rigaramole first and uses up tons of memory doing something in the background. It then downloads the file to your memory first and then asks you to save it - why? Why not just download it direct to your drive? I suspect that something dodgy is going on the whole time and like a good magician it uses diversionary tactics to distract your attention.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Egg_Crisis

Post by Egg_Crisis »

The way mega downoads is really flaky.
It downloads to a hidden folder, and only afterwards asks you where you want to save it.
And it doesn't delete the file from the temp folder so there's a 2nd hidden copy of everything you download taking up unnecessary HD space.
Plus the downloader uses a lot of cpu.

So years ago I found a better way: a command line tool called megatools.
You do all your uploading & downloading via command line. It's not a cpu hog either.
https://megatools.megous.com/
Egg_Crisis

Post by Egg_Crisis »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:20 pm
MP3J wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:12 pm Mega nearly destroys my pc for some reason, especially with large downloads....it races and really doesn't like it....it's similar to when you're using one of those AI models. I try to aviod it if at all possible.
Me too. I hate even opening it. Other download sites just give you the file straight away, whereas mega goes through a whole complicated rigaramole first and uses up tons of memory doing something in the background. It then downloads the file to your memory first and then asks you to save it - why? Why not just download it direct to your drive? I suspect that something dodgy is going on the whole time and like a good magician it uses diversionary tactics to distract your attention.
See the post I just made. Megatools just downloads in the normal way and cuts out the bullshit.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Egg_Crisis wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:27 pm See the post I just made. Megatools just downloads in the normal way and cuts out the bullshit.
Just wanted to say a hearty THANKYOU for this. It literally saved my arse because yesterday i tried to download a 1.6gb file from Mega and twice it just stopped at 400mb without any explanation. I was really going stark raving mad after two hours of trying different browsers and everything else I could think of. Then I remembered this tool, downloaded it in like 2 seconds and it just downloaded the link like it does with wetransfer or any other site. Brilliant!

The quick dummies guide for those who just want to easily download public mega links:

- download the zip https://megatools.megous.com/
- open the folder and click on the .bat file
- in the command window that opens, paste your link like so:

Code: Select all

megatools dl -- - placemegalinkhere
and hit ENTER. That's it. It'll download to the same folder.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
monkeesfan1965

Post by monkeesfan1965 »

MegaBasterd works Great as well
hxxps://github.com/tonikelope/megabasterd/releases/tag/v8.21
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

LR, that sounds like Windows talk...

But bottom line, friends don't let friends use Mega ;-)