Question for Collectors

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Lord Reith

Re: Question for Collectors

Post by Lord Reith »

FileUnderT wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:31 pm How many visitors to this forum actually print off sleeves, burn Dvds and CDs Vs. Store everything on external drives and view/play?

I'm curious!

The physical product would certainly take up a lot of space.
I just put it on my phone. That was what I always wanted since as far back as I can remember. A lot of my listening is done either late at night in a comfy chair or in bed. In either case I don't want to have to faff about with changing discs. I do like physical releases especially vinyl but I never actually play them. To me they are just objects of beauty, not media.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

I used to burn CDs and DVDs and print the sleeves out etc but now the audio goes on my iPhone and Fio (mp3 player) and the video files get saved on a USB stick which I stick in the back of the TV if I ever want to watch anything. All FLACS plus the video files get archived on a HD, in case the USB sticks fail.
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
jpgrjd

Post by jpgrjd »

Anything I regularly listen too I still burn to cd.

Since my wife died 5 years ago I'm able to have a full hi-fi system upstairs so I regularly listen to it in bed. I supposed I'm a bit old fashioned.

I do keep copies of most discs on some form of data storage as well.
billylentz

Post by billylentz »

quigatolah wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:49 pm Same

I have 100's of CDR's in my attic for which I printed all the artwork to try to make them look like the originals.
It took me way too long to realize I was never playing them.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That´s for sure!
But I´m so attached to them... Lots of history... Besides, they make such a beautiful impressive wall...
If I have to do it, that´s the last thing I´ll ever get rid of!
alexbt

Post by alexbt »

I have dozens of trays with burned DVDs with complete collections, such as FAB! and other brands. But for a while now, I no longer put them in cases, nor print the covers, but I do continue collecting them, and likewise the CDs. Now I download the Bootlegs CDs and save them on Blue-Rays due to their large capacity, and I play them on my computer when I want to listen to them. What I must admit is that I no longer download the audio concerts, since I would hardly listen to them again, only some that are relevant and that offer something new.
kekchoos

Post by kekchoos »

FileUnderT wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:31 pm How many visitors to this forum actually print off sleeves, burn Dvds and CDs Vs. Store everything on external drives and view/play?

I'm curious!

The physical product would certainly take up a lot of space.
I do it all the time. The last one I made was Nimbus' Sergeant Pepper. I made an audio dvd, created a booklet, printed it out and put it on the shelf. With other quality vinyl rips I do the same.
:arrow: No re-uploads possible due to technical restrictions :idea:
Kando

Post by Kando »

I only use an HD to collect various versions of material I either do not have, or of material I want to compare to stuff I already have, sonic quality-wise. When I once had an exceptional home sound system (now gone I'm afraid) I got to realize how great, just sonically speaking, so much of the Beatles' material sounds. Once I get a few more things settled I hope to at least have a very decent headphone setup for critical comparison. Then I can move on to burning cds once more for an HQ car system I hope to get finished this year. The head unit I got won't handle flac's, which would be my fallback, and neither will the digital processor I have in mind, so disc's it will be. Plus, even though it is somewhat splitting hairs, wav files still win out for overall best audio quality. If, eventually, I come across a head unit with optical output that fits my needs, and also handles flac files, I may eventually switch to flac, and more HD/USB type options.

Yes, the discs take up more space, but I grew up with physical media, and it holds a great attraction. I'll be able print out the artwork as well, and have it handy for personal or other use. While digital drives are great, there's nothing that quite compares with showing another Beatles' fan/friend a collection of unique music discs, along with all the artwork, and fold-out material that goes with it. Hell, even I like to read through the fold-out material every once in awhile, as there is no way I can remember all the stuff there is to know about all these great recordings and the people who made them happen, lol. Plus it just makes me smile a bit to think how I have been fortunate enough to come across all of this really great material, whenever I look at the collection I already have. Knowing I have a ton of stuff on my HD as well is nice, but it just doesn't do the same thing for me. ;)

So a great big thanks to everyone on here that has contributed to this and other sites, and have helped so many with one of life's greatest pleasures, enjoying the timeless pleasure of listening to the the world's greatest music! :D I hope that at least in some small way I can eventually repay that debt in kind.
"So long, and thanks for all the fish!"
mitchellmichael

Post by mitchellmichael »

I think it would be cool for folks with all of these old masses of DVDs/CDs to go through and find something that has not been shared here. I’m sure there are quite a few things of interest. 😎
Cheers
Mike
Gringo557

Post by Gringo557 »

I'm 66 now and finally gave up physical storage a few years ago. I do still have all the vinyl and CDs I bought mostly from 1970-1999 but it just sits in nice shelves out in the garage. At some point soon I'll have to start thinking about downsizing those, although I'll probably keep the vinyl. :D
EdinSc

Post by EdinSc »

I LOVE having a physical copy! Lots of stuff I keep only digitally, but many disks and sets of disks I burn, create and print art, make a very colorful and beautiful collection!