So, does Ringo sing on "Now and then"?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
kolive

Re: So, does Ringo sing on "Now and then"?

Post by kolive »

I hear Ringo quite clearly.

Its even more obvious when watching the video.
bogus

Post by bogus »

I've heard some vocal isolations that were made from Atmos mix. I couldn't hear Ringo anywhere either. Just a bunch of Pauls, and all of them sound really bad with voice being croaky, hissy and squeaky. But altogether it creates this sort of "singalong" mush that somewhat works in the mix.

dannysonar

Post by dannysonar »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:42 am Speaking of Autotune, why oh WHY did they have to use it on John's voice. That opening verse sounds so robotic. It's madness... they wait 30 years for the tech to appear that can cleanly isolate his voice, and then they do their best to wreck it.
First of all, let me state that I hate Autotune with all my heart. The killer of all emotion, joy and pleasure in music since 1998. A real plague.
That being said, if you find John's voice "robotic", what word would you use to define Ringo's voice on all his records for the last 15 years ?
I mean, yes, they used it, but with relative "good taste", if it's possible to put "Autotune" and "good taste" in the same sentence. Let's say, with some restrain. As there is no way you can escape it these days, it could have been worse...
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

dannysonar wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:18 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:42 am Speaking of Autotune, why oh WHY did they have to use it on John's voice. That opening verse sounds so robotic. It's madness... they wait 30 years for the tech to appear that can cleanly isolate his voice, and then they do their best to wreck it.
First of all, let me state that I hate Autotune with all my heart. The killer of all emotion, joy and pleasure in music since 1998. A real plague.
That being said, if you find John's voice "robotic", what word would you use to define Ringo's voice on all his records for the last 15 years ?
I mean, yes, they used it, but with relative "good taste", if it's possible to put "Autotune" and "good taste" in the same sentence. Let's say, with some restrain. As there is no way you can escape it these days, it could have been worse...
Oh I don't listen to their solo stuff. I could sort of, perhaps, if I abandon all my moral principles, see how it might benefit Ringo in some way, but to use this abomination on JOHN LENNON??? One of the most famous voices of the 1960s and 70s, whose every recorded vocal does NOT have Autotune? Are consumers so brainwashed now that they can't tolerate any semblance of humanity in a vocal, even if the humanity literally defined that particular voice ?
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:25 pm
Oh I don't listen to their solo stuff. I could sort of, perhaps, if I abandon all my moral principles, see how it might benefit Ringo in some way, but to use this abomination on JOHN LENNON??? One of the most famous voices of the 1960s and 70s, whose every recorded vocal does NOT have Autotune? Are consumers so brainwashed now that they can't tolerate any semblance of humanity in a vocal, even if the humanity literally defined that particular voice ?
Autotune is evil…and I’ll preface this by saying I love Now & Then…but my god the autotune…particularly on Paul & Ringo…how did that pass quality control?? And it was inevitable that they’d use it on John’s vocal as well…..I’m a big fan of the solo years but Paul & Ringo both lost me when they started using it…I’d love to hear the original 1996(or was it 1995?) version and in the key they recorded it in
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

bogus wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:46 pm I've heard some vocal isolations that were made from Atmos mix. I couldn't hear Ringo anywhere either. Just a bunch of Pauls, and all of them sound really bad with voice being croaky, hissy and squeaky. But altogether it creates this sort of "singalong" mush that somewhat works in the mix.

Listen for a deep “growling” sound on the choruses…once you hear it it’ll be etched in your brain forever.
dannysonar

Post by dannysonar »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:25 pm
Using Autotune certainly does NOT benefit Ringo in any way. Nobody's expecting him to be a perfect-pitched singer anyway. He's been using it like MAD, heavily, on each and every track, with no exception. I can't understand why. Hearing recent live recordings, he's still able to sing relatively in tune.
You should listen to a track or two by Robot Ringo, just for a laugh. Even the few decent songs he's been releasing are totally ruined.
Same, for example, for the Beach Boys on their last studio album from 2012 and their live album from the same year.

Feeling The Sunlight (written by Paul !). Be prepared to give the word "robotic" a new meaning...

And I'm afraid your last sentence is right, for 99% of "music consumers". Or at least that's what the music industry thinks of the consumers.
Last edited by dannysonar on Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ants

Post by Ants »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:25 pm Are consumers so brainwashed now that they can't tolerate any semblance of humanity in a vocal, even if the humanity literally defined that particular voice ?
Sadly, I think this is the reality now.

Some time ago I saw a producer mix a piece of music (acoustic guitars and voice, not too many instruments, and no electronic sounds).
He had to perfectly sync every single syllable and heavily auto-tune an already good performance. Oh, and a ton of compression.
It sounded like a robot.

Why all this? "It's what people want these days", he said.
Ronson

Post by Ronson »

Ants wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:38 amSadly, I think this is the reality now.

Some time ago I saw a producer mix a piece of music (acoustic guitars and voice, not too many instruments, and no electronic sounds).
He had to perfectly sync every single syllable and heavily auto-tune an already good performance. Oh, and a ton of compression.
It sounded like a robot.

Why all this? "It's what people want these days", he said.
Hopefully it's just a trend, like those cheesy drum machines we had to endure during the 80s. They eventually went away.

I remember a music reviewer saying that Pete Ham of Badfinger sang with "soul" because he was often slightly flat. Or was it slightly sharp? In any case, it's what made his vocals endearing. I can't imagine what he would sound like on "perfect pitch" all the time. Yuck.
billylentz

Post by billylentz »

Rickenbacker325 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:43 am Listen for a deep “growling” sound on the choruses…once you hear it it’ll be etched in your brain forever.
The only growling sound I hear is Paul. At first listen I thought about Ringo, but soon I realized it was indeed Paul, and that´s unmistakable on the isolations.

If anybody can isolate the supposed Ringo voice, I´ll be really thankful! But I´m getting more and more convinced he doesn´t sing on the song.