Pecos Bill's BBQ Closed

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Ziggy C

Pecos Bill's BBQ Closed

Post by Ziggy C »

I've just learned that this place closed permanently at the end of 2022.

For 76 years there was a small BBQ stand on Victory Blvd on the cusp of the Burbank/Glendale area called Pecos Bill's BBQ.
They had the absolute best and scrumptious Oakie sandwiches anywhere. If you didn't get it all over yourself, you weren't doing it right! Their spicy red sauce was to die for. This family-run establishment had endured for years, bolstered by their popularity amongst local and tourist folk alike. There was ALWAYS a line down the block. And their menu was honest and concise, boasting their daily hours, or until the meat runs out.

As the rest of the block went corporate and was built up with large office buildings, Pecos Bill's BBQ remained steadfast as they owned the spot of land they were on, resisting efforts by those who would buy them up and demolish their stand. We loved them for that, too. Giving a big fat middle finger to corporate America's attempt to stomp the little guy.

They suddenly closed for good, and with no fanfare, at the end of 2022. The owner, Jerry Redman, died suddenly. Some reports say it was a heart attack. The police report says it was suicide by shotgun.

I will miss this place as it was one of the last remaining landmarks hearkening to the good old days...

RIP Pecos Bill's BBQ
506_505951152.jpg
506_505951152.jpg (64.17 KiB) Viewed 512 times
Pecos Bills BBQ Menu (RIP Jerry Redman).jpg
Pecos Bills BBQ Menu (RIP Jerry Redman).jpg (73.83 KiB) Viewed 512 times
Much2Much

Re: Pecos Bill's BBQ Closed

Post by Much2Much »

So sad. The end sounds terrible. This establishment was obviously one of the best.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Ziggy C wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:44 pm I've just learned that this place closed permanently at the end of 2022.

For 76 years there was a small BBQ stand on Victory Blvd on the cusp of the Burbank/Glendale area called Pecos Bill's BBQ.
They had the absolute best and scrumptious Oakie sandwiches anywhere.

I will miss this place as it was one of the last remaining landmarks hearkening to the good old days...

RIP Pecos Bill's BBQ
My heart skipped a beat!
I thought of great parallels and I miss L.A. heritage when it goes to the La Brea Tar-pits to die!
So long, great friend. A truly huge tear in my eye!
Thank you!
KC
pickle bill.JPG
pickle bill.JPG (101.02 KiB) Viewed 435 times
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

That's a sad ending. But it's amazing it endured so long, and that people appreciated it. I always admire small businesses that seem to hang on through thick and thin.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene