DVD Player That "Casts" to TV?

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
quigatolah

DVD Player That "Casts" to TV?

Post by quigatolah »

Is there such a thing as a DVD that can cast to a compatible TV without wires, as is done with phones and tablets?
I have a good collection of DVDs that I would love to "binge" if I could keep the discs by my side and just press PLAY.

As it is, like many others, I suppose, I have to also turn the receiver on, get the DVD to talk to the receiver, and the DVD to talk to the TV. Then I sit down in the dark and realize I can't read the buttons on the 3 remotes involved, and get up and turn the light on. Then turn the lights off again. By that time, the disc cover is in one place, one disc is in the player, and another on top of receiver. After watching a couple of episodes the process starts all over again to change discs. Yeah, I know it sounds lazy, but by the end of the day when I'm ready to watch, I'm toast, and I just want to sit down and enjoy. I end up paying to stream things that I already own.
Lord Reith

Re: DVD Player That "Casts" to TV?

Post by Lord Reith »

You could move the dvd player next to your chair and use one of these:

https://interestingengineering.com/revi ... any-screen
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Nimbus

Post by Nimbus »

Or buy a cheap laptop with DVD built in and cast from that.
Steve J

Post by Steve J »

Why not rip them to mkv format? Then you can copy them to any device and cast them. Or put them on a usb stick and pllug that into your tv.

makkemkv (free) will do the trick.
quigatolah

Post by quigatolah »

Thanks for the input gentlemen. Nimbus suggestion appears to be the simplest route to get from here to there, but not the cheapest.
I was thinking that since Blueray DVD players are readily avail for under $100, there might be one in the $200 range that could cast. And if they could make one with a rechargeable battery so that NO cables are required, I'd pay more for that. I'm surprised such a thing hasn't been produced yet because downsizing cable and streaming services has become a widespread thing for at least a couple of years now.
csnyfan

Post by csnyfan »

Buy a longer HDMI cable?
bobzilla

Post by bobzilla »

There's such a thing as a wireless HDMI transmitter.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=wireless+hdm ... d+receiver

It seems way more expensive than it's worth to me, but I also am on the "rip it to mkv" bus.