Live Peace Catalogue Number

General music and other artist discussions.
FestVideoRoom

Re: Live Peace Catalogue Number

Post by FestVideoRoom »

Without knowing for certain what the situation was with the catalog number, the probability is that it had something to do with the contractual status of the album...

It's an obscure piece of Beatles history/trivia, but if I recall correctly, there was some kind of legal wrangling by Klein involved with that release that had it treated as a BEATLES release by EMI rather than as a solo Lennon recording. It had something to do with fulfilling some sort of contractual obligation, but I've long forgotten where and when I absorbed this information. I believe this also ties heavily into the original mix of the LP's protracted absence from release as well as the one off issue (as a remix) on CD: the Lennon estate may not have the same control over it as they do the rest of the Lennon/Ono masters.

Time to dig into the research archives and see if I can't get the particulars...

S.
Bumblebee

Re: Live Peace Catalogue Number

Post by Bumblebee »

FestVideoRoom wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:06 pm Without knowing for certain what the situation was with the catalog number, the probability is that it had something to do with the contractual status of the album...

It's an obscure piece of Beatles history/trivia, but if I recall correctly, there was some kind of legal wrangling by Klein involved with that release that had it treated as a BEATLES release by EMI rather than as a solo Lennon recording. It had something to do with fulfilling some sort of contractual obligation, but I've long forgotten where and when I absorbed this information. I believe this also ties heavily into the original mix of the LP's protracted absence from release as well as the one off issue (as a remix) on CD: the Lennon estate may not have the same control over it as they do the rest of the Lennon/Ono masters.

Time to dig into the research archives and see if I can't get the particulars...

S.
Yes, that does make sense. I’d always wondered why it hadn’t been part of a reissue drive. By virtue of the concert being included in the Who Are The Plastic Ono Band? book, which was issued in support of the multi disc Plastic Ono Band reissue, you’d have expected it to be part of that package (along with the 1969 Lyceum show that’s on the SomeTime album).

I’d read about some Klein shenanigans in relation to Sometime in NYC album. To secure a higher royalty the last three solo albums had to sell over a set amount of units. The previous two had but Klein thought that Sometime would tank and tried to delay its release until after the negotiations had finished.

Good call on the Live Peace album though, thanks for that. I think you may have solved the riddle.