Live Peace Catalogue Number

General music and other artist discussions.
Bumblebee

Live Peace Catalogue Number

Post by Bumblebee »

Does anyone know why the Live Peace In Toronto album carried the CORE suffix as its catalogue number? It was the only Apple album to do this and I’ve never really understood why. My ruminations so far have come up with:

* it was intended for Zapple but Klein had sunk that boat by the time of its release;
* it was a live album;
* it had the fancy calendar as an insert;
* a Lennon vanity

These are all suppositions and the books an online sources I’ve read don’t elaborate. Does anyone know the real deal on this one?

Thanks.
Megazeti

Re: Live Peace Catalogue Number

Post by Megazeti »

Interesting to note New Zealand's release carries the number but goes in further by issuing it with Parlophone black yellow labels.
https://www.discogs.com/release/2427982 ... ronto-1969
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

What is left when the Apple is gone...
KC
AllTogetherNow

Post by AllTogetherNow »

Kwai Chang wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:05 am What is left when the Apple is gone...
KC
An Apple core? :?:

Regards
ATN
Whats in that jar on your shelf? Tar?
No...its liquid Vinyl for making my dream collection.

The one with the Golden lid too?
Thats exclusive for Lord Reiths stuff
Bumblebee

Post by Bumblebee »

Yeah, I got the joke of the Apple Core I was just wondering why the LP was given this prefix outside of the main Apple album run. In my first post I wondered whether it was a prospective Zapple release but that’s unlikely because Wedding Album had already come out under the Apple banner.

On balance it looks like it was a Lennon vanity as Apple were issuing the POB singles with the exclusive ‘Apples’ prefix. After the Beatles split became official the subsequent Lennon output got incorporated into the main PCS prefix for albums and R for the singles.
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

I think - and this is only supposition - that there was a legal grey area. John was signed to Parlophone/EMI as one of the Beatles, and by arrangement the group was allowed to use Apple labels but retaining the Parlophone catalogue numbers, as they were really Parlophone releases.

Non-Beatles (eg, Billy Preston, Badfinger) signed to Apple were bona-fide Apple artists and used the Apple cataloge numbers. So what about Plastic Ono Band? Did they belong to Parlophone or Apple?

Both, or neither, depending how you look at it - so I think they avoided the issue by using a separate release series. Of course by 1970 it was clear there were four solo Beatles careers underway so and POB releases were by then just treated as Parlophone along with the other three ex-Beatles.
Bumblebee

Post by Bumblebee »

It seems likely that the official split was the cut off point at which the solo albums moved over to Parlophone as both George and John had issued albums as part of the main Apple (and Zapple) catalogue - Wonderwall, Electronic Sound, Two Virgins, Lions, Wedding Album and the aforementioned Live Peace. They all had sequential numbers in tandem with the other artists, Live Peace excepted. Give Peace A Chance was also in the main catalogue, but from Cold Turkey JL differentiated his releases from the Apple herd by affixing ‘Apples’.
Megazeti

Post by Megazeti »

so most of the UK (and some English territories say Australia) solo Apple singles came out as eg APPLE-44 then you've got the albums as SAPCOR-3 etc.
the only variation i could find was for the 3 APPLE-1000 singles:
1001 Cold Turkey - issued
1002 you know my name (look up the number) * ultimately the B-side of Let It Be/What's The New Mary Jane - cancelled
1003 Instant Karma!
so i suppose Live Peace In Toronto's catalogue was maybe a by-product of Apple or EMI trying to simplifying the LP and singles catalogue numbers as we now seen them.
Bumblebee

Post by Bumblebee »

Megazeti wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:25 am so most of the UK (and some English territories say Australia) solo Apple singles came out as eg APPLE-44 then you've got the albums as SAPCOR-3 etc.
the only variation i could find was for the 3 APPLE-1000 singles:
1001 Cold Turkey - issued
1002 you know my name (look up the number) * ultimately the B-side of Let It Be/What's The New Mary Jane - cancelled
1003 Instant Karma!
so i suppose Live Peace In Toronto's catalogue was maybe a by-product of Apple or EMI trying to simplifying the LP and singles catalogue numbers as we now seen them.
The only solo Apple single featuring as part of the UK standard Apple series was John’s Give Peace A Chance which was Apple 13. After that his singles adopted the Apples prefix until the split when they reverted to the Parlophone numerical series along with the other solo releases.

The Live Peace catalogue number is an unexplained anomaly, so far anyway. Likewise Apples for Johns post Give Peace 45’s.
Megazeti

Post by Megazeti »

Well it's funny that The Wedding Album was allocated a normal SAPCOR number despite been a full blown box set. I mean given how mad John was at the time with the world politics it could have been a full blown agenda to make his releases have their own catalogue numbers given that the CORE and the 1000s are all Johns releases and maybe he got thru that phase gave up and decided to play ball.