Have you ever met a Beatle or a Beatle kid? Please share your experiences!

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
cliftdean74

Have you ever met a Beatle or a Beatle kid? Please share your experiences!

Post by cliftdean74 »

I would love to put some faces with the names here. Especially if you have a picture of yourself with a Beatle or a Beatle kid! Even if you don’t have a photo please share your encounters with the fab four and family!

I’ve unfortunately never met a Beatle but I have met some offspring.

On December 23, 2006 I met Sean Lennon after his show at the Bowery Ballroom in NYC. As we were talking to him a car rolled up and a guy gets out. It was Jack Douglas of Double Fantasy fame. He starts telling Sean how he hadn’t seen him since he was a little boy. I wanted to take a picture of them talking but I didn’t want to intrude on their moment.

On July 30, 2013 I met James McCartney after his solo acoustic set at The Cutting Room in NYC.

Those are my stories, I would love to hear yours!

alphabeatles

Re: Have you ever met a Beatle or a Beatle kid? Please share your experiences!

Post by alphabeatles »

Nice post! How did you get James to loosen up, ha!
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

alphabeatles wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:19 pm Nice post! How did you get James to loosen up, ha!
I didn’t. He was wound pretty tight. Not very comfortable interacting with the public.
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

Does Pete Best count???

:mrgreen:
fabwill

Post by fabwill »

'Met' is probably pushing it but:

- I 'met' Paul in 2008 when he did a Fireman signing at the HMV shop on Oxford Street. Queued up for a few hours with a copy of the LP I'd had to buy earlier in the week, shook his hand, he signed it, was utterly charming and I was utterly tongue tied. I hope I said thank you. Strictly no pictures, although I have the signed LP.
- Around a similar kind of time, I saw Brian Wilson at the Southbank Centre, and just before the lights went down, Paul entered, seen by every single person there, and sat in about the 10th row. (A couple of years later I saw Brian at the same venue and saw Sir George and Lady Judy in the lobby).
- 2015 and we have tickets to see Paul at the o2. I sprang for one of the better packages (you got a free programme, a thermos and a rucksack!) and 2-3 rows behind us were Stella with her kids, I think Mary with hers, Nancy, Dave Grohl and Ant & Dec (could I make this up?) Auntie Stella made numerous runs to the bar for crisps and soft drinks for the kids, ably assisted by Dave. (At the same gig, my wife tried, and failed, to buy a veggie burger and told the catering staff off 'No veggie at a Paul McCartney gig?')
- 2021 and we are again at the Southbank Centre, this time to see Paul in conversation with Samira Ahmed. This time it's us who are in row 10, Stella and family are in the seats directly in front of us and Mary and family are in the seats directly in front of them. One of Stella's kids took a picture of Paul when he came on stage, just like the rest of us did. And Stella and Mary seemed to thoroughly enjoy the whole thing, just like the rest of us did. Paul mentioned finding out that even in Greece he had become too famous to just go out, and the two of them found it particularly hilarious - maybe they recalled it?
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

Rickenbacker325 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:11 pm Does Pete Best count???

Absolutely! Also any higher up at Apple. Extended Beatles family. Let’s hear it.
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

fabwill wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:15 pm One of Stella's kids took a picture of Paul when he came on stage, just like the rest of us did. And Stella and Mary seemed to thoroughly enjoy the whole thing, just like the rest of us did. Paul mentioned finding out that even in Greece he had become too famous to just go out, and the two of them found it particularly hilarious - maybe they recalled it?
You’ve had a lot of luck being McCartneys adjacent. I love that his children and grandchildren are also fans of his. He and Linda raised quite a family.
Onkster II

Post by Onkster II »

Met Laurence Juber and his wife at a friend’s party—he’d been doing music for an NBCP show my friend was writing for.

Ran into them both at Hugo’s in Studio City some time later, and saw him by himself once at Guitar Center in Sherman Oaks, though we didn’t talk then.

Both were super nice and friendly. We did talk a little about his song Maisy and the cover art for Standard Time.
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

Onkster II wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:35 pm Met Laurence Juber and his wife at a friend’s party—he’d been doing music for an NBCP show my friend was writing for.

Ran into them both at Hugo’s in Studio City some time later, and saw him by himself once at Guitar Center in Sherman Oaks, though we didn’t talk then.

Both were super nice and friendly. We did talk a little about his song Maisy and the cover art for Standard Time.
Wow! Three different times with the same Wing. He seems like a nice guy. My friend met him once at a show. Said the same thing.
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

cliftdean74 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:20 pm
Rickenbacker325 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:11 pm Does Pete Best count???

Absolutely! Also any higher up at Apple. Extended Beatles family. Let’s hear it.
Met Pete Best I think 4 times in total...most recently at a festival in Norway...My band shared the bill with his band...and no pun intended..he's the best!
I've met at various times in my life...

Harry Nilsson-in an elevator
May Pang-super nice and loads of great stories
Patti Boyd
Freda Kelly
Pete Best
Rogue Best
Rory Best
Tony Bramwell
Denny Laine-numerous occasions
Steve Holly-super nice and filled with great info
Laurence Juber
Denny Seiwell
Mike McCartney(McGear!)
Alan Williams
Sam Leach
Erik the Norweigan-engineered the RAM LP..so blame him for it being out of phase
Klaus Voormann
Cynthia Lennon
Earl Slick
Sid Bernstein
Gerry Marsden
Patti Harrison
Neil Innes(aka Ron Nasty!)-gentleman
John Halsey(Barry Wom!)
Rikki Fataar(Stig)
Alf Bicknell
Barry Tashian(Ex-Remains...on the same bill as the Beatles for the 1966 US tour)
Tony Sheridan(actually played My Bonnie with him)

Never met an actual Beatle...been darn close to to Paul though..I know some of these are a real stretch......had to delve deep into my faulty brain. I'm sure there's more...