Have you ever met a Beatle or a Beatle kid? Please share your experiences!

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
bobzilla

Re: Have you ever met a Beatle or a Beatle kid? Please share your experiences!

Post by bobzilla »

In 1989 when Paul announced his first world tour in a decade, I was in junior high living in Atlanta, GA. There was a Saturday and Sunday show scheduled and my dad got us tickets for the Saturday show (17 Feb 1990). Shortly before Paul arrived in Atlanta the Saturday show got rescheduled for Monday (from what I remember he, or someone in the band was fighting a cold or something). Anyway, we still went because Paul McCartney. The show was amazing, but literally as soon as the encore was over the place emptied out like there was a fire. Probably because everyone was like, "I still have to be at work in the morning." My dad and I left too, but weren't in as big of a hurry as everyone else. We had parked in a parking garage on the next block, and ended up walking past the back side of the venue. As we were walking by an alley a limo came out of the venue, so we stopped and waved. The window rolled down and sure enough, it was Paul and Linda. Paul waved at me and my dad and said, "Did you like the show?" I responded (probably way too loudly), "IT WAS AMAZING!" and then they drove off.

My only other semi-Beatle encounter was that I accidentally ran into Dave Grohl (literally ran into) in like 1995. I was on a trip with my parents in Seattle, and I was heading into a shop as he was coming out. I bumped into him and said, "Excuse me", then looked up and went, "Hey! You're..." and he responded, "Yes I am." and walked away.
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

bobzilla wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:57 pm As we were walking by an alley a limo came out of the venue, so we stopped and waved. The window rolled down and sure enough, it was Paul and Linda. Paul waved at me and my dad and said, "Did you like the show?" I responded (probably way too loudly), "IT WAS AMAZING!" and then they drove off.
Love that story and the fact that Paul & Linda rolled down the window to ask that question. He truly cares about his fans. Incidentally my first McCartney show was also the Flowers In The Dirt tour. July 1990 in Philadelphia! He was a tiny speck in that stadium but I loved every minute of it!
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

bobzilla wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:57 pm...As we were walking by an alley a limo came out of the venue, so we stopped and waved...
I had a similar experience in Houston in 1993 leaving the venue after Paul's show (my seat was on the opposite side of the arena from him...), but I don't think it was actually his limo...
joguema

Post by joguema »

I never met a Beatle or a Beatle kid, but:

Me, getting an autograph from Klaus Voormann-Hamburg-June 05, 2006 in one of his books.

Mark Lewisohn, Hamburg, June 05, 2006

Astrid Kirchherr-Hamburg-June 05, 2006

Front of Bambi Kino-Hamburg-Oct 15, 2011

John's Door-Hamburg-Oct. 15, 2011
silver_2000

Post by silver_2000 »

bobzilla wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:57 pm In 1989 when Paul announced his first world tour in a decade, I was in junior high living in Atlanta, GA. There was a Saturday and Sunday show scheduled and my dad got us tickets for the Saturday show (17 Feb 1990). Shortly before Paul arrived in Atlanta the Saturday show got rescheduled for Monday (from what I remember he, or someone in the band was fighting a cold or something). Anyway, we still went because Paul McCartney. The show was amazing, but literally as soon as the encore was over the place emptied out like there was a fire. Probably because everyone was like, "I still have to be at work in the morning." My dad and I left too, but weren't in as big of a hurry as everyone else. We had parked in a parking garage on the next block, and ended up walking past the back side of the venue. As we were walking by an alley a limo came out of the venue, so we stopped and waved. The window rolled down and sure enough, it was Paul and Linda. Paul waved at me and my dad and said, "Did you like the show?" I responded (probably way too loudly), "IT WAS AMAZING!" and then they drove off.

My only other semi-Beatle encounter was that I accidentally ran into Dave Grohl (literally ran into) in like 1995. I was on a trip with my parents in Seattle, and I was heading into a shop as he was coming out. I bumped into him and said, "Excuse me", then looked up and went, "Hey! You're..." and he responded, "Yes I am." and walked away.
Not a Beatle kid, or a Beatle but probably the next best thing, I met Pattie Boyd at the last Beatlefest, she was nice, I asked something about Mike Love's behavior in India, she said that he had sneaked over large amounts of booze for the group, I thought it made a better question then the usual, "Did you love Eric or George more, Layla or Something" or whatever.. I got her autobiography signed for my girlfriend and left..

Hardly life changing or huge, but it's nice to have the experience, y'know in 50 years to say, I've met Pattie Boyd.

I also met Mark Lewisohn which was a great experience, found him to be very nice, got his Sessions and Live books signed.
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

joguema wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:44 pm I never met a Beatle or a Beatle kid, but:

That’s a lot of cool Beatle related experiences! How was Klaus? He seems like such a sweet soft spoken guy. Did you get a picture of yourself in the doorway?
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

Ignore this
Last edited by cliftdean74 on Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

silver_2000 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:58 pm
Not a Beatle kid, or a Beatle but probably the next best thing, I met Pattie Boyd at the last Beatlefest, she was nice,

I also met Mark Lewisohn which was a great experience, found him to be very nice, got his Sessions and Live books signed.
Probably for the best that you left the George / Eric conversation out of it. In my mind she’s always the girl on the train in AHDN!

I’d love to meet Mark. During the height of the pandemic I’d take nightly hour + long walks late at night and listen to every Mark Lewisohn podcast appearance that was available. I was making lemonade out of lemons.
joguema

Post by joguema »

cliftdean74 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:42 am
joguema wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:44 pm I never met a Beatle or a Beatle kid, but:

That’s a lot of cool Beatle related experiences! How was Klaus? He seems like such a sweet soft spoken guy. Did you get a picture of yourself in the doorway?
There was not too much time to talk to Klaus, because a lot of people were waiting to get his autograph and, therefore, his team allowed only to say thank you and urged me to leave the desk.
No, I don't have a picture of myself in the doorway, but I took a picture of a friend from San Francisco, with whom I made one of the guided tours to the Beatles-places in Hamburg, and during a further one of those tours I also took a picture of one of the Admins of BZ-forum (for safety reasons I will NOT mention his name or which country he came from - please don't ask or mention any names you may remember!).
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

Yes! Twice I met Paul back in 1990. Here's all the pics: http://www.jiggler.de/images/pictures.htm

There's also a post about specific picture here: viewtopic.php?p=2069&hilit=rye#p2069

And my profile pic shows my head in-between Paul and Linda's, though I was behind them.
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK