Band On The Run (Underdubbed Mix)

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
masterjedi

Re: Band On The Run (Underdubbed Mix)

Post by masterjedi »

A little underwhelming at first, but it gets better! Amazing!
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

Is it the same for you for the original album configuration ? this is the US version - and although I have nothing against "Helen Wheels" (that's a catchy and nice song) I kind of thing that it kind of "breaks" the flow of the album which should have run a bit shorter, because without Helen Wheels, the epic song, 1985 will come earlier. And I think that the songs following Picasso's Last Words work better.
What do you think about it ?

My favorite so far on this underbudded mix is "Let Me Roll It"; but I'm kind of disappointed by the rest of it- I'm even not sure that these are really some "pure" basic tracks. I was used to hear these kind of basic tracks on One Hand Clapping for instance (1985 is great). Here it is just an instrumental with the choir vocal harmonies but no vocal at all.
In a nutshell the most interesting tracks for me where the songs where the strings were predominant like "Jet" (it's nice to hear the piano and McCartney yelling and humming - probably the highlight of this mix with "No Words"). The funny thing is that it does not match with my favorite songs of the album (1985, Bluebird). But it's a pity they did not release what sounds to be a fantastic instrumental early take of "No Words" on the auctioned tapes.
Fast lucky

Post by Fast lucky »

I love that underdubbed album. Quite a few surprises, many nice moments, many tracks I enjoy a lot. Very happy. Let´s hope for more.

I cannot believe that some peoplz (Steve Hoffman Forum) are complaining about such a release - even before listening to it. We get very enjoyable unreleased stuff.
reechie

Post by reechie »

Fast lucky wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:26 pm I cannot believe that some peoplz (Steve Hoffman Forum) are complaining about such a release - even before listening to it. We get very enjoyable unreleased stuff.
It's the Hoffman forum. That's what they do...
ssane

Post by ssane »

On my first listen of No Words (Underdubbed) I am surprised how much it sounds like a George song.

The slide guitar at the start sounds so much like George's style of playing.
billylentz

Post by billylentz »

Of course it´s great and of course nothing can be bad with these songs.

But I resent buying the regular "Band on the run" again for the zilionth time.

Buying CDs in Brazil has been increasingly difficult and expensive, and the unnecessary repetition makes it all more problematic.

I wish they´d think about things like that.
Fast lucky

Post by Fast lucky »

You cannot expect a release without the proper album. Some people could think this is THE album when the underdubs are only a beautiful icing on a splendid cherry cake.
Nine-0-Nine

Post by Nine-0-Nine »

Incredibly boring compared to the official version.
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

I enjoy stuff like this...and after the previous reissues...which were seriously lacking in the bonus material department...its a welcome sight to say the least
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

hxxps://www.paulmccartney/.com/news/band ... 2-february

Speaking about the “underdubbed” version, Paul said:

“This is Band on the Run in a way you’ve never heard before. When you are making a song and putting on additional parts, like an extra guitar, that’s an overdub. Well, this version of the album is the opposite, underdubbed.”
Band on the Run (Underdubbed) presents Band on the Run’s nine classic songs for the first time without any orchestral overdubs, available digitally. The previously unreleased rough mixes were created by Geoff Emerick, assisted by Pete Swettenham at AIR Studios, on 14th October 1973. The tracklist, newly ordered as detailed below, mirrors the original analog tapes discovered in the MPL archives.

Finally, Band on the Run will also be available in Dolby ATMOS for the first time, newly mixed by Giles Martin and Steve Orchard.
Chris