RIP Denny Laine

Share the latest updates from the Fabs/Friends. Links to interviews and articles go here.
siveld

Re: RIP Denny Laine

Post by siveld »

Awful news. They only just had a concert to help him. Paul has issued a heartfelt tribute already.
And in the end, the love you make is equal to the love you take.
Wogew

Post by Wogew »

After the Japan incident and intent on touring, Denny formed Denny Laine Band with Steve Holley, Denny's wife Jo Jo Laine, Gordon Sellar, Andy Richards and Mike Piggot. They did three gigs in Norway in August/September 1980 and since I had turned 18 that summer, I could get in at Club 7 in Oslo where they performed on September 2.
It was a great concert (despite Jo Jo's vocals), with Denny singing lots of his own songs as well as Wings songs he had a hand in writing. Also, we recognised his guitars from the Wings concerts. In the break, I got to meet the band in the artist room, and I got Denny and Steve's autographs on the back of my Wings Fun Club membership card.
It was my first "Beatles related" concert, and the venue was filled with Beatles- and Wings-fans. I met people there who are still my friends. The talk among Norwegian Beatles fans was all about John Lennon preparing to do a comeback with a new album.
A great moment in such a sad year.
I briefly met Denny again at the Beatles convention in Hotel Adelphi in 1996. He had a stand where he sold records, photos and gave autoghraphs. He was always nice when he talked with his fans.
Rest in peace.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

RIP Denny Laine.

He was a co-founder of The Moody Blues in their first incarnation and sang on their cover of Go Now which became his song from that moment forward.

He was an integral member of Wings throughout their awesome career. Sideman, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. He was the soul of that band. If McCartney was the heart, and Linda was, well, Linda, then Denny Laine was the soul of Wings.

I remember when I bought Wings Over America in early ’77 from a little record store near me called, Od Tapes And Mole Music, on Topanga Cyn Blvd. They may have already changed their name to Oz Head Shop by then,…it's a bit hazy dredging this up from the distant past. Anyway, I bought the triple album, secured it to my bike rack, and cycled home. The claw from the bike rack bit through the album cover and left a permanent mark on one of the records in the center near where the turntable spindle goes. No harm. The records were quite listenable. Still are, as I still have them. My favorite song on that album was Time To Hide. Second song in on side 5. That was the shit, man! I was an aspiring drummer at the time, and that song led to many a mark on my Mom’s pots and pans as I plied my craft.

Another Wings album that made an impact on my life was London Town. When my parents were going through their divorce, my aunt bought me this album in Spring, 1978. Two songs stuck with me: London Town and Deliver Your Children. Listening to them takes me right back to that tumultuous time. Dad had moved out several months previous. Our house was up for sale. I already knew that I would be leaving behind my school and all my friends for an uncertain future. This album kept me grounded (when I wasn’t already grounded for various other reasons.)

Denny Laine stuck with Wings during their transformation from the London Town incarnation to the last version of the band which produced Back To The Egg in 1979. Another album that had a huge impact on me.
Living in a new town, going to a new school, having made new friends who were just as much into the Beatles lore as I was at the time, I played the hell out of this album.

I will always appreciate what Denny Laine brought to the table. He was awesome and will certainly be missed.

RIP
silvercup67

Post by silvercup67 »

Linda was the earth. She kept everyone grounded.

She also had the privilege of being taught keyboards, songwriting and singing harmony by one Paul McCartney.
Many people would line up for those lessons.
Best Beatle day of my life.. September 1st, 2019.
Megazeti

Post by Megazeti »

Sad the 70s powerhouse another Wing less.
Kando

Post by Kando »

A belated farewell, and God bless. Denny was a part of two of my favorite bands. I was fortunate enough to have seen him perform at an early BeatleFest at San Diego CC. A very popular local Beatles tribute group (Rockola) was there to perform later, but were in the crowd watching Denny perform beforehand. I was standing near them and heard them repeatedly praise Denny's performance, which really impressed me because I considered them quite good in their own right. The event remains all the more well remembered due to their glowing appreciation of a brother musician. A great star passes away, but has left behind a beautiful nebula of great music, friends, and loved ones.
"So long, and thanks for all the fish!"
steve1950

Post by steve1950 »

Live show onDime.

Denny Laine
"Songs And Stories"
The Funky Biscuit
Boca Raton, FL
July 15, 2023

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=755846
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Two Denny live shows I got from somewhere, 11/10/13 and Newton NJ-1/12/19 (mp3):

hxxps://drive.google.com/file/d/1-BKExF2KG_Muw6txfisprCJKOnX83z0u/view?usp=sharing

If someone could rescue and post that Boca show from Dime that would be great!
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Pic of Denny on this page (do a text search):
hxxp://www.gordysmusic.com/
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

The Note Denny Laine Never Wrote:
Whatever he was or wasn't...
working for Paul might have made Denny feel like Icarus often or always.
Denny's endurance record will be impossible to beat! THAT's what I call distinguished!
Time to hide? Go now!
R.I.P. Denny
KC