Can I fix a blu-ray rip that's too red?

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
twogurusindrag

Can I fix a blu-ray rip that's too red?

Post by twogurusindrag »

On more than one occasion, I have downloaded a rip of a TV show or movie, and the red is so high it's unwatchable. (For some reason, it's always the red.) I'm wondering if it can be fixed without the blu-ray being re-ripped? The files are MKVs. I know there are a bunch of video experts here, so I thought I'd ask. Thanks.
She's a drag. A well-known drag. We turn the sound down on her and say rude things.
Pepe_Java

Re: Can I fix a blu-ray rip that's too red?

Post by Pepe_Java »

twogurusindrag wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:31 pm On more than one occasion, I have downloaded a rip of a TV show or movie, and the red is so high it's unwatchable. (For some reason, it's always the red.) I'm wondering if it can be fixed without the blu-ray being re-ripped? The files are MKVs. I know there are a bunch of video experts here, so I thought I'd ask. Thanks.
Yes! You can use Curves to remove a bit of red, I did it alot of times in faded films
The Beatles Lost Performances: http://beatleslostperformances.great-site.net/
twogurusindrag

Post by twogurusindrag »

Pepe_Java wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:37 pm Yes! You can use Curves to remove a bit of red, I did it alot of times in faded films
You're talking about Frame.io?
She's a drag. A well-known drag. We turn the sound down on her and say rude things.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

The advanced settings on your tv will have controls for the amount of red, green or blue. Just tweak those and remember to change them back later.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
twogurusindrag

Post by twogurusindrag »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:58 pm The advanced settings on your tv will have controls for the amount of red, green or blue. Just tweak those and remember to change them back later.
Why you tryin' to make life easy?
Pepe_Java

Post by Pepe_Java »

twogurusindrag wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:48 pm
Pepe_Java wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:37 pm Yes! You can use Curves to remove a bit of red, I did it alot of times in faded films
You're talking about Frame.io?
No, any video edit software can do that
The Beatles Lost Performances: http://beatleslostperformances.great-site.net/
harrylime

Post by harrylime »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:58 pm The advanced settings on your tv will have controls for the amount of red, green or blue. Just tweak those and remember to change them back later.
Or check if it's maybe set to too red by default, as was the case on my tv. That clearly looks too red for some content but not for all, but that still means the problem doesn't lie within the content where it's obvious but rather the device. Same way you also wouldn't re-EQ your audio rips just because they sound tinny on your laptop speakers.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

If they're ripped from bluray then they shouldn't be reddish unless it's a very faded old print which seems unlikely on a bluray release.

What are you watching them on? A software player? Maybe change players. It does sound more like a playback issue to me, and not something up with the source.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
twogurusindrag

Post by twogurusindrag »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:11 pm
What are you watching them on?
Plex
Refugee

Post by Refugee »

"Avidemux" is my favorite sofrware for working with video, it has a lot of tools for video correction/adjustments. It will convert virtually any format to any other, both in regard to video and audio (as long as the two are compatible with each other).