Help with a guide for Official Releaes

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Loplop

Help with a guide for Official Releaes

Post by Loplop »

I have always just had the CD Versions of all the Beatles Releases. But after really getting into different mixes of the songs, as someone who has not paid that close of attention to these details, I find it a bit confusing.
Is there a good guide out there somewhere to help me navigate all the different versions that have been released over the years?
Thanks in advance!
Tolvo

Re: Help with a guide for Official Releaes

Post by Tolvo »

1) Check out Richie Unterberger's The Unreleased Beatles; ideally the 2017 ebook edition, since the print book from ten years prior is a bit out-of-date. That's probably the most accessible. Here's another page with some lists: http://www.richieunterberger.com/ubeatles.html

2) Contact maul. (I hope he doesn't mind me name-dropping him here.) His "Complete Studio & Home Recordings" may be a wee bit overwhelming if you're just getting into bootlegs, but it's by far the most thorough document out there.

3) There's also the Usenet Guide to Beatles Recording Variations, but I can't say much about this one.