Dr.Ebbet - what is the truth about his CD reissues?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
cliftdean74

Re: Dr.Ebbet - what is the truth about his CD reissues?

Post by cliftdean74 »

Beatlesiak wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:03 pm Millenium Remasters - I only had the opportunity to hear a few Japanese mono and stereo titles, and a few German compilations, unfortunately I never heard the US albums from MR :(. I regret it, because I really like their sound, as well as the concepts of individual albums, which are so different from the European ones.
This set is coming soon. New rips from the original set of discs!
Kando

Post by Kando »

Beatlesiak wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:03 pm
Millenium Remasters - I only had the opportunity to hear a few Japanese mono and stereo titles, and a few German compilations, unfortunately I never heard the US albums from MR :(. I regret it, because I really like their sound, as well as the concepts of individual albums, which are so different from the European ones.

When I started the thread, I was hoping that with your help I would be able to create something like a compendium of knowledge about the circulating production versions of authentic and fake editions of Dr. Ebbet, to eliminate "junk" before we are flooded with fakes using AI, because then no one will know what is what.

Greetings from frosty, snow-covered Poland :)
Wojtek
We all need something to believe in. :) I have to say that when Dr. E. first contacted me personally I was a wee bit in awe. :oops: I had been so amped up since getting my hands on the MR US and MFSL sets that it seemed like almost too good of a thing to actually get my sweaty little hands on authentic DESS issues directly from the source, ha, ha. Since the MR issues did not come with fancy artwork that more closely duplicated the originals, getting the duplicate DESS issues was almost worth it to me just for that, lol, especially since the DESS issues often included foldout front coverwork as well, that would have additional info about that particular original release, plus some photos occasionally. So considering how much work seemed to have gone into each cd release, I also felt a bit more assured as to their authenticity.

As for the MR US albums, I was more than pleasantly surprised with them. The only ones I had been listening to for ages were the Capitol cassettes, so perfect digital transcripts of the lps was an incredible sonic improvement. The Capitol versions were what I had been hearing since childhood, when an older sister brought home a stereo copy of Meet the Beatles in mid to late '64, or so (I think). We had just gotten a new Zenith stereo console, and I must have played that lp a million times. And as a kid I was completely fascinated with the different sounds from each side of the console. I had no idea for ages that the twin track/suedo stereo on that lp was not considered real stereo. :lol: Also, I certainly never thought twice about whatever reverb there might be, as that was really pretty standard on most of the music I recall from that period. It wasn't really until about the time I listened to the MR MFSL early issues that I got some sort of real idea about what people had been talking about when the first official EMI cd's were released (but of course the first four were in mono, so that really threw me off a bit). But I also learned later on that the system on which the material is played, and even more so, the kind of listening space one is in, makes a huge difference in just how annoying or pleasant the reverb on the early Capitol releases can sound. Room harmonics can really add to the reverb on the early tracks, and I definitely don't consider that a good thing. That being said I really like the MR US versions, and if you can play them on a pretty nice system they can sound quite good, though the MR MFSL ones will always be my favorites.

Anyway, keep the faith.
Dave
"So long, and thanks for all the fish!"
Lennons Ghost

Post by Lennons Ghost »

Here is a new MEGA link for those still wanting the DESS collection. Cheers

hxxps://mega.nz/folder/9g9wAARB#Yd-e2Ue3EzhdKDDMc50ERw
"Living is easy with eyes closed, Misunderstanding all you see"
Kando

Post by Kando »

Lennons Ghost wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:14 pm Here is a new MEGA link for those still wanting the DESS collection. Cheers

Thanks ever so much for the link. I may have the artwork on my old PC, but this could save me some time not having to dig that out of storage when I am ready to print some of these on the DESS copies I made of my originals. I am guessing that these might have come from the last series the Doc did, as the disc label background color is different on at least some of these, or at least I think it is, as it has been a very long time since I have looked at my originals. :oops: Nice to have what looks like some pretty decent hi-rez DESS artwork anyway, and will give me an excuse to at least pull my old Epson printer out of mothballs, and see if it still works. :) Additionally, it's also nice to have some hi-rez music downloads to compare to my originals at some point. Oh, and thank God for all the PC and internet speed improvements that have come along since I was last involved in any of this. My old Macintosh 128K w/dial-up was really starting to drag on things. ;) :lol:
Kando

Post by Kando »

Lennons Ghost wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:14 pm Here is a new MEGA link for those still wanting the DESS collection. Cheers

Ha, ha, after I don't know how long of starting to piece together a long winded question about the following three titles, I accidentally came across the Dr. E. website, with catalog, that explained everything for me. :oops: However, I don't recall any of those Parlaphone titles being available, as, or with, 'outfakes' when I last contacted the Dr., just as he was semi-retiring in '09. Anyone here recall if these were added later? I did know about, and have, the handful or so of 'outfake' tracks included on Sessions, Collector Items, and Casualties.

They are as follows:
(PCS-3042rm) Please Please Me
(PCS 3045rm) With the Beatles
(PCS-3075rm) Rubber Soul

Oh, and I just answered another question for myself about the UK lps listed in the link. Thank goodness for the DESS website. I'd forgotten that the Blue Box series had their own pressing numbers. Man have I forgotten a lot of stuff since I was much more active online regarding all of this. :oops:

Lastly, I just took a peak ahead at stuff I haven't downloaded yet, and found a number of the unique stuff, like Casualties, and Sessions, etc., in with the US listings. Great to have all of those in there as well, which will really help fill out my artwork for personal copies. Plus there are probably at least a couple of actual music files I may download that I never obtained originally. Thanks again for the great link, and any extra info you, or anyone else can provide.
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

I found this interesting passage in a December 2009 email from Bob T. of Millennium Remasters regarding Dr. Ebbett. My email to him was regarding artwork for his later offerings. This was his reply:

“Artwork is a sore point with us. My end of this endeavour is the soundwork, my partner does artwork and there were so many different delays, problems, criticisms and just lack of enthusiam by customers that I may just stop doing artwork. People always acclaimed DR EBBETT while he was basically remaking the artwork whereas we always worked with original covers from what my transfers came from. Also there are so many "DR EBBETT" works that are equalizing of my original transfers that the whole thing gets upsettng.”

I now wish I followed up on this information but it was 14 years ago now.
Kando

Post by Kando »

cliftdean74 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:43 pm I found this interesting passage in a December 2009 email from Bob T. of Millennium Remasters regarding Dr. Ebbett. My email to him was regarding artwork for his later offerings. This was his reply:

“Artwork is a sore point with us. My end of this endeavour is the soundwork, my partner does artwork and there were so many different delays, problems, criticisms and just lack of enthusiam by customers that I may just stop doing artwork. People always acclaimed DR EBBETT while he was basically remaking the artwork whereas we always worked with original covers from what my transfers came from. Also there are so many "DR EBBETT" works that are equalizing of my original transfers that the whole thing gets upsettng.”

I now wish I followed up on this information but it was 14 years ago now.
Interesting info. Wish I had been aware of some this back then, when I initially got into all of this. It doesn't seem to be stuff that was widely disseminated back then, as I was quite the internet info scavenger at the time. :) I must also say that I do not recall Dr. E. ever really talking about the artwork part of things, at least not a lot, so I guess that could add up. As for the equalizing of, what I assume would be audio transfers, that is something I will be checking into at a later date, when I have the time and the proper software to work with. I am anxious to know just what is what regarding all this much beloved work, and I will be as honest as possible about it all after the comparisons are finished.

As for general MFSL and US Capitol releases, I always preferred the MR versions. They always sounded more natural and full spectrum in comparison to the DESS versions of the same categories. I owned what I believe were the Asian 'Silver Disc' copies (they had a huge bootleg site), sourced out of Hong Kong, since the original MR versions appeared to be extremely limited, and I could never find any for sale. That said, the ones I had were very well done, and sounded impeccable. What has always confused me though, regarding the MR releases, is that while a couple of other titles like Rarities, etc. were occasionally mentioned back then, I could never find hide nor hair of them anywhere. Nowadays there are mentions, and downloads, of many other titles. This just confuses things for me, and makes it harder to fully grasp the history of MR.

Anyway, keep up the good work. And anymore info regarding the convoluted history of all of this will always be appreciated.
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

The last list I have of Millennium Remasters offerings is from 2009.

TITLES FROM MILLENNIUM REMASTERS (2009):

ALLMAN BROS. "LIVE AT THE FILLMORE EAST" CLASSIC RECORDS REISSUE
ALLMAN BROS. "LIVE AT THE FILLMORE EAST" NAUTILUS 1/2 SPEED MASTER
ALLMAN BROS. "EAT A PEACH" MFSL LP
ALLMAN BROS. "BROTHERS AND SISTERS" MFSL LP
JOAN BAEZ "DIAMONDS AND RUST" NAUTILUS 1/2 SPEED MASTER
BAND "MUSIC FROM BIG PINK" MFSL LP
BAND "MUSIC FROM BIG PINK" EMI CENTENARY LP
BAND "THE BAND" EMI CENTENARY LP
BEACH BOYS "PET SOUNDS" DCC MONO LP
BEATLES "RED COLLECTION" 17 CD mono / stereo Japanese sources

BEATLES "REEL CD COLLECTION" 8 CD stereo Ampex 7 1/2 ips tape

BEATLES "UK COLLECTION I" 17 CD mono / stereo UK & MFSL sources

BEATLES "UK COLLECTION II" 17 CD mono / stereo UK sources

BEATLES "US COLLECTION" 13 CD mono / stereo Capitol sources

BEATLES "ORIGINAL MONAURAL RECORDINGS" 6 CD

BEATLES "UK EP CD COLLECTION" 3 CD (digital sources) 

BEATLES "UK SINGLES CD COLLECTION" 3 CD (digital sources)

BEATLES "UK EP COLLECTION" 3 CD (analogue EP sources) 

BEATLES "UK SINGLES COLLECTION" 3 CD (analogue 45 sources)

BEATLES "A COLLECTION OF OLDIES...BUT GOODIES" UK mono / stereo
BEATLES “ABBEY ROAD” JAPANESE “PRO-USE” LP

BEATLES "BEATLES' STORY" from CAPITOL DAT safety copy stereo

BEATLES "HEY JUDE / HOLLYWOOD BOWL" US stereo

BEATLES "RARITIES" UK

BEATLES "BEATLES BEAT" GERMAN ODEON stereo
BEATLES "GET BACK" MAL EVANS ACETATE
BEATLES "BEATLES GREATEST" GERMAN ODEON stereo

BEATLES "BEATLES '65" GERMAN ODEON stereo
BEATLES "DIE BEATLES/ MMT" RARE GERMAN PPM STEREO LP/GERMAN APPLE STEREO
BEATLES "MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR" GERMAN ODEON stereo
BEATLES "SGT. PEPPER'S" NIMBUS 1/2 SPEED MASTER, MFSL UHQR

BEATLES "SOMETHING NEW" GERMAN ODEON stereo
BEATLES “WHITE ALBUM” GERMAN WHITE VINYL DMM 2 CD
HARRY BELAFONTE "JUMP UP CALYPSO" DCC LP
BLIND FAITH "BLIND FAITH" MFSL LP
BLOOD,SWEAT,TEARS "BLOOD, SWEAT, AND TEARS" SUPER DISK 1/2 SPEED MASTER

DAVID BOWIE "ZIGGY STARDUST" MFSL LP
DAVID BOWIE "HUNKY DORY" EMI CENTENARY LP
DAVID BOWIE "ALADIN SANE" EMI CENTENARY LP
DAVID BOWIE "LET'S DANCE" MFSL LP
DAVE BRUBECK "OUT OF TIME" CLASSIC RECORDS REISSUE
BYRDS "SINGLES" SUNDAZED MONO COMPILATION
RAY CHARLES "GREATEST COUNTRY AND WESTERN HITS" DCC LP
CHICAGO "CHICAGO TRANSIT AUTHORITY" MFSL LP 2 CD
ERIC CLAPTON "SLOWHAND" MFSL LP
NAT "KING" COLE "THE GREATEST HITS" DCC LP
CREAM "FRESH CREAM" DCC LP
CREAM "WHEELS OF FIRE" MFSL LP 2 CD
CCR "ABSOLUTE ORIGINALS" 45 RPM ABSOLUTE ANALOG 2 CD
CCR "COSMOS FACTORY" MFSL LP
MILES DAVIS "KIND OF BLUE" CLASSIC RECORDS REISSUE

DEREK/THE DOMINOS "LAYLA" SUPERDISK LP
DOOBIE BROS "TAKIN' IN TO THE STREETS" MFSL LP
DOOBIE BROS "MINUTE BY MINUTE" NAUTILUS 1/2 SPEED MASTER
DOORS "THE DOORS" MFSL LP
DOORS "THE DOORS" DCC LP
DOORS "STRANGE DAYS" DCC LP
DOORS "WAITING FOR THE SUN' DCC LP
DOORS "L.A. WOMAN" DCC LP
BOB DYLAN "MONAURAL COLLECTION" 9 cd SUNDAZED LP reissues
BOB DYLAN "NASHVILLE SKYLINE" COLUMBIA 1/2 SPEED MASTER LP
BOB DYLAN "BLOOD ON THE TRACKS" ABSOLUTE ANALOG LP
BOB DYLAN "BLOOD ON THE TRACKS" COLUMBIA 1/2 SPEED MASTER LP
BOB DYLAN "HIGHWAY 61 REVISITED" ABSOLUTE ANALOG LP
BOB DYLAN "THE TIMES THEY ARE A-CHANGIN'" MFSL LP
EAGLES "HOTEL CALIFORNIA" MFSL LP
ELP "PICTURES AT AN EXHIBITION" MFSL LP
FLEETWOOD MAC "FLEETWOOD MAC" MFSL LP
FLEETWOOD MAC "RUMOURS" NAUTILUS 1/2 SPEED MASTER
GRATEFUL DEAD "AMERICAN BEAUTY" MFSL LP

GEORGE HARRISON "ALL THINGS MUST PASS" 2 CD TOSHIBA EMI LP

GEORGE HARRISON "CONCERT FOR BANGLADESH" 2 CD TOSHIBA EMI LP

JIMI HENDRIX "AXIS: BOLD AS LOVE" mono (CLASSIC RECORDS re-issue)
JIMI HENDRIX "BAND OF GYPSIES" CLASSIC RECORDS REISSUE
BUDDY HOLLY "BUDDY HOLLY" MCA 1/2 SPEED MASTER
HUMBLE PIE "ROCKIN' THE FILMORE" CLASSIC RECORDS REISSUE
JEFFERSON AIRPLANE "SURREALISTIC PILLOW" DCC STEREO/SUNDAZED MONO REISSUED LPs
JEFFERSON AIRPLANE "CROWN OF CREATION" MFSL LP

JETHRO TULL "AQUALUNG" MFSL LP
JETHRO TULL "THIS WAS" EMI CENTENARY LP
JETHRO TULL "THICK AS A BRICK" EMI CENTENARY LP
ELTON JOHN "GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD" MFSL LP
ELTON JOHN "GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD" SUPER DISK 1/2 SPEED MASTER
ELTON JOHN "GREATEST HITS" NAUTILUS 1/2 SPEED MASTER

LED ZEPPELIN "LED ZEPPELIN II" MFSL LP
LED ZEPPELIN "CLASSIC LED" 12 CD CLASSIC RECORDS
JOHN LENNON "IMAGINE" EMI CENTENARY LP
JOHN LENNON "WALLS AND BRIDGES" EMI CENTENARY LP

JOHN LENNON "ROCK 'N' ROLL" EMI CENTENARY LP
JOHN LENNON "DOUBLE FANTASY" NAUTILUS 1/2 SPEED MASTER
GORDON LIGHTFOOT "SUNDOWN" MFSL LP
BOB MARLEY "CATCH A FIRE" MFSL LP
BOB MARLEY "EXODUS" MFSL LP
DAVE MASON "ALONE TOGETHER" MCA 1/2 SPEED MASTER

PAUL McCARTNEY "BAND ON THE RUN" EMI CENTENARY LP
PAUL McCARTNEY "BAND ON THE RUN" NIMBUS 1/2 SPEED MASTER
PAUL McCARTNEY "BAND ON THE RUN" COLUMBIA 1/2 SPEED MASTER
MOODY BLUES "DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED" MFSL LP
MOODY BLUES "ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM" NAUTILUS 1/2 SPEED MASTER

MOTT THE HOOPLE "ALL THE YOUNG DUDES" ABSOLUTE ANALOGUE LP
MOTT THE HOOPLE "MOTT" ABSOLUTE ANALOGUE LP
ROY ORBISON "ALL-TIME GREATEST HITS" DCC LP
PINK FLOYD "DARK SIDE OF THE MOON" MFSL UHQR LP
PINK FLOYD “DARK SIDE OF THE MOON” JAPANESE “PRO-USE” LP
PINK FLOYD "MEDDLE" MFSL LP
PINK FLOYD "ATOM HEART MOTHER" MFSL LP
PINK FLOYD "WISH YOU WERE HERE" COLUMBIA 1/2 SPEED MASTER
POLICE "GHOST IN THE MACHINE" NAUTILUS 1/2 SPEED MASTER
POLICE "ZENYATTA MONDATTA" NAUTILUS 1/2 SPEED MASTER

ELVIS PRESLEY "FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS" MFSL LP
ELVIS PRESLEY "ELVIS IS BACK!" DCC LP
ELVIS PRESLEY "24 KARAT HITS!" DCC LP
QUEEN "A NIGHT AT THE OPERA" MFSL
CLIFF RICHARD "CLIFF" EMI CENTENARY LP
ROLLING STONES "MFSL BOX +" 12 cd incl. STICKY FINGERS and SOME GIRLS
SIMON & GARFUNKEL "BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER" MFSL LP
SIMON & GARFUNKEL "BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER" COLUMBIA 1/2 SPEED MASTER
PAUL SIMON "PAUL SIMON" DCC LP
PAUL SIMON "THERE GOES RHYMIN' SIMON" DCC LP
STEELY DAN "AJA" MFSL LP
STEELY DAN "KATY LIED" MFSL LP
CAT STEVENS "TEA FOR THE TILLERMAN" MFSL UHQR LP
CAT STEVENS "TEASER AND THE FIRECAT" MFSL LP
TRAFFIC "THE LOW SPARK OF HIGH HEELED BOYS" MFSL LP
VARIOUS ARTISTS “WOODSTOCK” MFSL LP SET 4 CD

THE WHO "WHO ARE YOU" SUPER DISK LP
THE WHO "MY GENERATION" CLASSIC RECORDS MONO REISSUE
THE WHO "A QUICK ONE" CLASSIC RECORDS MONO REISSUE
THE WHO "THE WHO SELL OUT" CLASSIC RECORDS MONO/STEREO REISSUES
THE WHO "TOMMY" CLASSIC RECORDS REISSUE
THE WHO "LIVE AT LEEDS" CLASSIC RECORDS REISSUE
THE WHO "WHO'S NEXT" CLASSIC RECORDS REISSUE
THE WHO "WHO'S NEXT" MCA 1/2 SPEED MASTER
THE WHO "QUADROPHENIA" CLASSIC RECORDS REISSUE 2 CD
THE WHO "THE WHO BY NUMBERS" CLASSIC RECORDS REISSUE
THE WHO "FACE DANCES" MFSL LP
YARDBIRDS "ROGER THE ENGINEER" mono/ stereo (UK LP + CBS HALF-SPEED)
NEIL YOUNG “GREATEST HITS"

NEIL YOUNG "HARVEST" NAUTILUS LP
Last edited by cliftdean74 on Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.
mitchellmichael

Post by mitchellmichael »

I just pretty much read this entire thread and know that several people uploaded Ebbett collections and some had the ‘non LP-rip’ tracks….ugh. My heads a mess after reading this all.

So, is this upload all original rips from discs obtained from him? If so, I’m hyped.
Cheers
Mike
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

mitchellmichael wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:50 pm

I just pretty much read this entire thread and know that several people uploaded Ebbett collections and some had the ‘non LP-rip’ tracks….ugh. My heads a mess after reading this all.

So, is this upload all original rips from discs obtained from him? If so, I’m hyped.
Again I ask, why are the Doc's (murky lineage) rips so important when several other more trustworthy rippers did the same thing? Maybe not so prolific?