Dr.Ebbet - what is the truth about his CD reissues?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
GeorgeD

Re: Dr.Ebbet - what is the truth about his CD reissues?

Post by GeorgeD »

I should also note that Brainwashed's rip of ACOBO is completely different from the one I have had all these years, so I was taken in myself.
bonniegreg

Post by bonniegreg »

Does anybody know what happened to Dr. Ebbett after he abandoned his CD project? Sounds like he had an awful lot of mastering, duplication and printing equipment. I assume that he didn't quit being a Beatles fan and collector. I'm guessing he's not a contributor to this forum. His input to this discussion would be incredibly illuminating.
GeorgeD

Post by GeorgeD »

bonniegreg wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:44 am Does anybody know what happened to Dr. Ebbett after he abandoned his CD project? Sounds like he had an awful lot of mastering, duplication and printing equipment. I assume that he didn't quit being a Beatles fan and collector. I'm guessing he's not a contributor to this forum. His input to this discussion would be incredibly illuminating.
The mono ACOBO is a pretty dismal sounding record. He may well have just done the best he could and wasn't happy with the results. I am of the opinion right now that there are a bunch of rips out there masquerading as "DESS" that are total fakes. I know for a fact I had at least one...
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:58 am
... but the point is people thought they were getting all analogue. Likewise, When I paid ten bucks for a cd of Oldies I thought that it was a vinyl rip and not just a compilation made out of the EP box set. I could have done that myself in 5 minutes.
Point taken. I suppose it comes down to buyer beware. An oversimplification perhaps. What we have today is the gradual discovery, years after the acquisition, that something turns out not to be as described. That's not fair or right. Too late to go back now. But at least today's tech allows us to see exactly what it is we have, and move forward from there.
zaval80 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:21 pm
Er...to check for a trace of MP3 lineage? ;)
I should have been more specific. Mp3's masquerading as FLAC or Wav are certainly abominable. These days, I am firmly in the lossless camp. Moreover, I am in the lossless, high-resolution camp. As my ears dim, I may appreciate the auditory difference less. But I do believe in having the complete untruncated waveform.

It is my belief that the entity fka Dr. Ebbett visits this forum.
It is also my belief that the intention was never to try to deceive people into thinking they were getting actual unadulterated product. Rather, the intent may have been to simply provide the best sounding version of a given work. If that meant picking and choosing from various sources, then that's what happened in order to provide the best sounding recording. I also give deference to Moptop's rundown of the three eras of DESS product.

I suppose if there is a lesson, moving forward, it is to keep in mind that the average Joe has the tech-knowledge to make some pretty deep comparisons to suss out fakes. Needledrops are supposed to sound like records. There are limitations to the fidelity on older records such as ACOBO. The occasional pop is welcome, but can also be faked, right? So, for me, it comes down to my own two ears and what sounds best to me. More transparency on the part of the person creating that version would certainly help, too. I could then suss out what it is that makes it sound good to my ears.
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

GeorgeD wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:11 am I should also note that Brainwashed's rip of ACOBO is completely different from the one I have had all these years, so I was taken in myself.
There's a joke, "Stradivarius made violins for suckers, but for the hip folks he made - drums" :lol:
noirbar

Post by noirbar »

Ziggy C wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:42 pmIt is my belief that the entity aka Dr. Ebbett visits this forum. It is also my belief that the intention was never to try to deceive people into thinking they were getting actual unadulterated product...

...So, for me, it comes down to my own two ears and what sounds best to me.
Well said and strongly concur on both points Ziggy C.

P.S. After all my recent (now years!) and fanaticism to collect, catalog and download every single version of every single Beatles music thingy out there -- which by the way I am beyond incredibly grateful that others have taken their hard earned time to share -- I've decided to now spend a little more of my time actually using my own aging ears to determine what sounds best to me. That's my personal - do I spend my life collecting or maybe finally just listening - inner demon struggle :P .

Wouldn't be anywhere close to doing so without a very small number of internet forums/friends.
twogurusindrag

Post by twogurusindrag »

There is no spoon.
She's a drag. A well-known drag. We turn the sound down on her and say rude things.
noirbar

Post by noirbar »

twogurusindrag wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:26 pm There is no spoon.
But if there's no spoon: "Quick Watson, the needle!"

Or perhaps "needle drop..."?
kolive

Post by kolive »

I finally got to check my mono version (cd) of oldies.

Its this one:
https://www.discogs.com/release/5265008 ... les-Oldies

by Master of Sounds
(discogs says uncredited DESS).

Anyone know anything about this one?

Is there something obvious to check for to see if its a real rip of the original vinyl?
harrylime

Post by harrylime »

My DESS rip of Oldies I got around 2008 sounds like old vinyl, or ‘dismal’ by GeorgeD puts it fittingly. I clearly recall how especially Yellow Submarine had a distinct ‘tube amp’ sound, and I never played it much since.