Dr.Ebbet - what is the truth about his CD reissues?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
GeorgeD

Re: Dr.Ebbet - what is the truth about his CD reissues?

Post by GeorgeD »

harrylime wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:28 pm My DESS rip of Oldies I got around 2008 sounds like old vinyl, or ‘dismal’ by GeorgeD puts it fittingly. I clearly recall how especially Yellow Submarine had a distinct ‘tube amp’ sound, and I never played it much since.
A huge chunk of the rip Brainwashed sent sounds exactly like that. The songs I listed in my post were the only ones that would sync to any CD rip I have (everything I can get). The rest definitely sound vinyl sourced, whereas the one I already had (which I never remember listening to) sounded much too clean.
Beatlesiak

Post by Beatlesiak »

Lennons Ghost wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:46 pm
If anyone is interested and wants to do some more detective work, here are most (if not all) of his Beatles releases in one place.

hxxps://mega.nz/folder/U8l3VJ4I#4yuLh4hWKLlLek9qQoygwg/folder/dg8ADZbC
Thank You "Lennons Ghost" :)
Beatlesiak

Post by Beatlesiak »

*********************************************************************************************************
As I understand it, "Oldies But Goldies" is very problematic and at the same time very popular and... uses "fake tuning" :( .
During the discussion, signals related to US stereo "Revolver", as well as CAN "Twist and shout", "Something New", US "Love Songs", SP and EP "collectinons" - really? is it true? something more? some other albums?
What do you think about the other rips and the basic UK, US, Canadian, other... albums?

*********************************************************************************************************
Where can I find newest the latest versions of Millenium Remasters?

Last edited by Beatlesiak on Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

Beatlesiak wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:43 pm
Where can I find newest the latest versions of Millenium Remasters?

Slowly working on the Millennium Remasters rips. Real life is hectic. I almost instinctually wrote “Real Love.”
Beatlesiak

Post by Beatlesiak »

cliftdean74 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:43 pm
Beatlesiak wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:43 pm
Slowly working on the Millennium Remasters rips. Real life is hectic. I almost instinctually wrote “Real Love.”
:D :D :D :D :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

Lennons Ghost wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:46 pm If anyone is interested and wants to do some more detective work, here are most (if not all) of his Beatles releases in one place.

The bulk of the stuff is in the Dr. Ebbetts sub-folder. The main folders are pretty much empty save for some artwork and info. All the same, a big thank you to the one who put these all in one place.

There is another site that has most of the same. Posted/shared by Yves. But are they the same? Hmmmmmm.... All I know is that they are there. I am here. I am he as you are he as.....

hxxps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_Od4SBc1XOlpd3jQ-GP6VONR8Tt-mW-C
Lennons Ghost

Post by Lennons Ghost »

Ziggy C wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:20 pm
Lennons Ghost wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:46 pm If anyone is interested and wants to do some more detective work, here are most (if not all) of his Beatles releases in one place.

The bulk of the stuff is in the Dr. Ebbetts sub-folder. The main folders are pretty much empty save for some artwork and info. All the same, a big thank you to the one who put these all in one place.

There is another site that has most of the same. Posted/shared by Yves. But are they the same? Hmmmmmm.... All I know is that they are there. I am here. I am he as you are he as.....

hxxps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_Od4SBc1XOlpd3jQ-GP6VONR8Tt-mW-C
Damn, something must of happened during the upload, Thanks for letting me know, i'll try to fix it
"Living is easy with eyes closed, Misunderstanding all you see"
noirbar

Post by noirbar »

Lennons Ghost wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:31 pm Damn, something must of happened during the upload, Thanks for letting me know, i'll try to fix it
Really appreciate it LG. Fyi - weird, as I was able to access and dl from that link pretty much all day yesterday, with no problems until about 6p when it crapped out. Just for awareness.

Thanks again!
Kando

Post by Kando »

Woowzaa! Interesting thread for sure. For my part, I eventually got to know Dr. E. through the BZ forum, after having spent considerable time posting there on various Beatles related topics. I think I was probably fortunate enough to catch him in the sweet spot of his work, after he had gotten his equipment and sources to the point of where he was pretty much overall very happy with it, but before EMI came calling after the '09 Remasters were announced. We communicated from roughly '06-'09. He was a very likeable guy, and certainly pretty ernest about his work. I got my first few discs through protective go-betweens, until a trust level was established, and then all the rest directly from him. I always thought his pricing, especially considering all the free upgrades he issued, was quite fair. I was never really completely disappointed with any of his work. However, I will say that I always preferred the MR 'US Capitol' stereo/mono releases, and MR 'MFSL' stereo/mono releases to the Dr. E. versions. Not that the Dr. E. ones were bad, but I think his particular preferences for eq work, were not the same as mine. Other than that though, his breadth of work was fantastic, and I bought virtually any stereo releases that I considered at least somewhat unique. I also checked, via acute listening comparisons, the differences between his work and any consumer released material similar to it from EMI, etc. I never came across anything that I would have thought of as fake (copied from consumer released issues).

Now, all that being said, during my last year, or so, posting on BZ, around '09 -'10, I started noticing what were probably a lot of fake Dr. E. and MR, and other bootlegs being bought all over the place. A lot of people on BZ were burnt, and a lot of them seemed to assume that even though they bought their cd's through all sorts of various venues, that Dr. E. was somehow directly responsible for all of the bad DESS releases. There seems to be at least a little bit of that going on here as well, which is a shame. Now I'm not saying the guy was prefect, but I do think too many non-DESS issues may be getting thrown in with his here, and making things look worse than they are. I certainly am not going to be tossing any of my discs in the trash, lol.

If I can help with sample tracks at anytime I would love to help, though I would have to dig everything out of storage at the moment. Plus a lot of the issues people are discussing right now seem Mono related, and I was mostly a stereo kind of guy, lol. I even liked the twin track fake stereo, but let's not go down that road at the moment, lol.

Oh yeah, and this is only my second post on here, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. ;) FYI: 2008 sort of really messed me up, and I really didn't feel like posting about anything much until recently. I only happened upon this and another Beatlegdb thread because I finally pulled my head out of the sand long enough to search out a replacement for a much loved MR YS disc that developed an odd squelch on it in a couple of places quite a long time back. I was actually a little surprised and a bit happy that DESS and MR releases were still being discussed at this time and date, even if some of it is negative. FYI: I got my MR discs through an Asian source around '03, and was blown away by the selection the site had. I have to say I was rather ignorant about the depth of bootlegging at that time, and have learned a tremendous amount since then, though not nearly as much I am sure many here know. Oh, and the MR discs I got were far, far better than anything commercially released up to that point.

We now return you to our regular programming.
"So long, and thanks for all the fish!"
Beatlesiak

Post by Beatlesiak »

Dr. Ebbet - Like the previous speaker "Kando", I still consider Dr. Ebbets' work to be something unique in the best sense of the word.
However, I am afraid that many of us along the way (and completely unknowingly) have acquired at least a few forged/fake titles imitating only Dr. Ebbet's works.

I don't want to believe and I won't believe that Dr. Ebbet took shortcuts with such a laudable project - it seems to me an extreme hypocrisy and absurdity, inconsistent with the basic premise of the series he decided to implement years ago. No, it's not possible - I don't believe it.

Millenium Remasters - I only had the opportunity to hear a few Japanese mono and stereo titles, and a few German compilations, unfortunately I never heard the US albums from MR :(. I regret it, because I really like their sound, as well as the concepts of individual albums, which are so different from the European ones.

Dr. Robert - created great MFSL rips.

Lord Reith - created the greatest collection of BBC, Star Club and Hollywood Bowl.

These are (in my opinion) the best of the best :)

What are your opinions? suggestions? (personally, I avoid it because I don't like: all kinds of remixes using AI, sounds from a rock band game, stratification, demixing, etc.)

When I started the thread, I was hoping that with your help I would be able to create something like a compendium of knowledge about the circulating production versions of authentic and fake editions of Dr. Ebbet, to eliminate "junk" before we are flooded with fakes using AI, because then no one will know what is what.

Greetings from frosty, snow-covered Poland :)
Wojtek