Dr.Ebbet - what is the truth about his CD reissues?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
cliftdean74

Re: Dr.Ebbet - what is the truth about his CD reissues?

Post by cliftdean74 »

Beatlesiak wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:11 pm When I read that one or another item in one or another series has been falsified, I wonder: is there any point in keeping the entire series on disk? I don't think it's possible to reliably verify all albums (even selectively).
Should I press "delete"? hmm... it's very easy, but it's a pity and regret...
At the same time, doubts about authenticity make the joy of ownership disappear.
So should we stick only to official productions/releases as they are?
I don't think that Dr. Ebbet specifically wanted to deceive anyone, perhaps these "false" stories published by other people appeared under his name and spoiled the reputation of an innocent person? I would very much like to believe in this and I hope that thanks to this forum it will be possible to create a list of verified, noteworthy titles by Dr. Ebbet and foreign "fakes".
However, the problem does not only concern Dr. Ebbet - I listened to several series of recorded cassettes and 8 track cartridges from various publishers, and I could also hear the manipulation of the sources, and I especially clearly remember the shortcomings during the US version of: Rubber Soul/Revolver/Yetsterday and Today (EQ, Louder, Clarity of sound single songs).
A few posts earlier, a friend from the forum verified the Millennium editions and it turns out that despite the promises, it is not as it should be.
It is a pity that Dr. Robert left behind such a small set of his HD rips.
PBTHAL - in his case, I got a bit lost when several versions, i.e. different rips of the same titles, appeared on the Internet.
Fan's life is hard and there is so little time :(
Greetings to everyone and wish you a nice weekend!
Not Millennium Remasters “editions.” The Beatles Oldies Mono. That was a very early offering from both DESS and MR. Press delete if you want. I have asked a few forum members to weigh in on future uploads of the Millennium Remasters catalog to see what their opinions / consensus is for each collection.
Beatlesiak

Post by Beatlesiak »

cliftdean74 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:59 pm
Beatlesiak wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:11 pm

Not Millennium Remasters “editions.” The Beatles Oldies Mono. That was a very early offering from both DESS and MR. Press delete if you want. I have asked a few forum members to weigh in on future uploads of the Millennium Remasters catalog to see what their opinions / consensus is for each collection.
O.K. ready ;)

(I removed the text about MR :) )
brainwashed

Post by brainwashed »

GeorgeD wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:54 pm
brainwashed wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:51 am
GeorgeD wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:01 am The songs She Loves You, I Want To Hold Your Hand, I Feel Fine, Michelle, Can't Buy Me Love and Yesterday from the mono DESS collection of oldies all sync perfectly to rips of those tracks from the CD EP box set. We Can Work It Out syncs to the rip from the CD Singles box set. There are EQ differences, that is all.

Sorry to say, this is true of the Millenium Remasters version as well, only with fewer EQ changes. If you increase the playrate of the MR rips to 1.000212, those songs sync to the same sources and almost completely null.

I can't address every single song, but the bottom line is that these guys lied at least some of the time.

At this very moment I have I Want To Hold Your Hand from DESS and Millenium Remasters Collection of Oldies Mono, and the CD EP Collection Rips all playing together in perfect sync.
Are you using the download I provided? Just asking for continuity reasons. Thanks, Ron

PS In my studio, my personal disc and the CD EP do not sync perfectly. Close yes, but not perfectly. I also think my disc has one or two slightly longer fadeouts on a few tracks.

I have checked your rip and on the songs She Loves You and I Want To Hold Your Hand, and they did NOT sync. This is fascinating.
Thanks for checking. As mentioned, they don't sync for me either. I think folks may be checking (perhaps unknowingly) fake Ebbett's and not the real deal. I'm happy to provide other discs for validation purposes. Just ask. Ron
harrylime

Post by harrylime »

brainwashed wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:59 pm Thanks for checking. As mentioned, they don't sync for me either. I think folks may be checking (perhaps unknowingly) fake Ebbett's and not the real deal.
That's what I suspected from the get-go. If he pulled this trick from the start it would have been found out much sooner.
innergroove

Post by innergroove »

brainwashed wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:46 am ....As for Eqing and the like. Of Course he used EQ
Funny, his drops were always proclaimed as completely flat transfers with no added EQ. There was that big debate on the 910, where Brainwashed was vehemently denying that Ebbets used EQ of any kind.
JohnMiller

Post by JohnMiller »

why delete, save it in a google drive and then delete

:geek:
brainwashed

Post by brainwashed »

innergroove wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:15 pm
brainwashed wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:46 am ....As for Eqing and the like. Of Course he used EQ
Funny, his drops were always proclaimed as completely flat transfers with no added EQ. There was that big debate on the 910, where Brainwashed was vehemently denying that Ebbets used EQ of any kind.
Yes, I did support Ebbett's back then, but over the many years since I was part of his team, I realized EQ was indeed used. And that's a good thing in my opinion. His choice of cartridge did color the sound some and EQ tweaked it to sound (subjectively) better to most people. It wasn't my place to tell him how to write his blurbs, but yes, I did deny EQ usage back in the day. I'm old enough to admit fault. Ron
noirbar

Post by noirbar »

Follow-on question that was raised earlier - is our general understanding that Purple Chick used DESS as their source?

So if (and maybe big if) we can reasonably assume PC acquired - and then complied - the "official" portions of their sets directly from the doc*, can we then assume as a starting point that any PC downloads we have are valid copies of actual DESS releases? This would at least get us around the first key problem of whether our current analysis of any online and/or 3rd party (i.e., not purchased directly from the doc) copies any of us have acquired over time are also legit DESS?**

Of course:
  • without other confirming info we still have to assume PC acquired directly from the doc, and
  • if PC=Real DESS, still doesn't answer the second more difficult and time consuming key problem of confirming the legitimacy of the actual sources used by the doc himself.

* i.e. the "official" vinyl materials included by PC, vs the accompanying outtakes/demos/live/etc. that were not the handiwork of the doc
**I also think it's fair to assume that any online sourced PC downloads are themselves legit PC. Just can't see any online pirate uploading a fake PC for anyone else to DL for free
Last edited by noirbar on Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeorgeD

Post by GeorgeD »

Track06 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:28 pm
GeorgeD wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:54 pm I have checked your rip and on the songs She Loves You and I Want To Hold Your Hand, and they did NOT sync. This is fascinating.
How about 'From Me To You'?
How about slowing down 'I Want To Hold Your Hand' from 'Mono Masters' by 1.001734?
She Loves You - Brainwashed's rip of ACOBO, at a playrate of 1.001734 syncs precisely to Mono Masters 2009 CD.

From Me To You - Brainwashed's rip of ACOBO syncs perfectly to the Beatles Hits CD EP at normal playrate.

I Want To Hold Your Hand - Brainwashed's rip of ACOBO, at a playrate of 1.001734 syncs precisely to Mono Masters 2009 CD.

Day Tripper - Brainwashed's rip of ACOBO, at a playrate of 1.001734 syncs precisely to Mono Masters 2009 CD.

Paperback Writer - Brainwashed's rip of ACOBO, at a playrate of 1.001734 syncs precisely to Mono Masters 2009 CD.

(ignore my previous edit, I messed up and copy/pasted the wrong thing.)
Last edited by GeorgeD on Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
GeorgeD

Post by GeorgeD »

I hope you all know that by doing this I don't mean to disrespect anyone nor call their integrity into question. As a matter of fact, this is making me a bit sad.