Dr.Ebbet - what is the truth about his CD reissues?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Kando

Re: Dr.Ebbet - what is the truth about his CD reissues?

Post by Kando »

cliftdean74 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:03 pm The last list I have of Millennium Remasters offerings is from 2009.
And yet I could not find virtually any of those listings back then no matter how hard I tried. Were they listed under different pseudonyms, instead of MR?
"So long, and thanks for all the fish!"
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

Kando wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:58 am
cliftdean74 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:03 pm The last list I have of Millennium Remasters offerings is from 2009.
And yet I could not find virtually any of those listings back then no matter how hard I tried. Were they listed under different pseudonyms, instead of MR?
No but I think the only way to see it was if you were on his mailing list. I “met” him via his eBay post for his Japanese set of Beatles discs. I messaged him and then I was added to his mailing list. I purchased from him for about 5 or 6 years. He never had stuff listed on a website that I know of.
Kando

Post by Kando »

alphabeatles wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:08 am Again I ask, why are the Doc's (murky lineage) rips so important when several other more trustworthy rippers did the same thing? Maybe not so prolific?
I think a lot of it just had to do with word of mouth advertising online, so to speak. That and the fact that he seemed to have the largest Beatles material catalog by far, at least that was known about. The MR material was seemingly so exclusive that few really knew about it. I only found a secondary source for it by mere chance. Plus DR. E. seemed to have a significant core of supporters online who vigilantly spread the word, lol. Others had good reputations from what I recall, but, again, their material was very hard to come by. Dr. E. simply had much better distribution from what I could tell. ;)

I would have loved to obtain a number of discs from other sources, but I never could figure out how to do so. Fortunately, I was able to get what were probably really good clones of some material from 'Silver Disc', if that was their name, and a handful of others, to complete my collection, from what were really just occasional chance ebay sources (though you had to be really careful and somewhat knowledgeable, and lucky to pull that off without getting ripped off). It was soon afterwards that ebay started getting flooded with Beatles bootlegs (ebay didn't really care about controlling that stuff for quite awhile afterwards).

All that DESS publicity lives on today, with people still swearing by him for a lot of material. Was all his stuff the best, not really. But few people even had a chance to compare, so, what you gonna do?!
Kando

Post by Kando »

cliftdean74 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:11 am
Kando wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:58 am
No but I think the only way to see it was if you were on his mailing list. I “met” him via his eBay post for his Japanese set of Beatles discs. I messaged him and then I was added to his mailing list. I purchased from him for about 5 or 6 years. He never had stuff listed on a website that I know of.
That's just it. Those mailing lists were seemingly next to impossible to get on, from my point of view. :cry: I just guess I never had quite the proper decoder ring to figure that one out.

As for the DESS stuff, I just happened to post about it a number of times (just general stuff, since I didn't own any yet) and a go-between just happened to PM me on BZ. So I just went with the only available source I could find for a lot of things.
Kando

Post by Kando »

mitchellmichael wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:50 pm I just pretty much read this entire thread and know that several people uploaded Ebbett collections and some had the ‘non LP-rip’ tracks….ugh. My heads a mess after reading this all.

So, is this upload all original rips from discs obtained from him? If so, I’m hyped.
Very good question. It won't happen right away, but I plan on comparing all of the DESS tracks from that site, and from another one mentioned earlier in this thread, to my original silver cds. I will report on it when concluded.
mitchellmichael

Post by mitchellmichael »

Kando wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:13 am
mitchellmichael wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:50 pm I just pretty much read this entire thread and know that several people uploaded Ebbett collections and some had the ‘non LP-rip’ tracks….ugh. My heads a mess after reading this all.

So, is this upload all original rips from discs obtained from him? If so, I’m hyped.
Very good question. It won't happen right away, but I plan on comparing all of the DESS tracks from that site, and from another one mentioned earlier in this thread, to my original silver cds. I will report on it when concluded.
Wow! Thanks for taking that on!

Cheers
Mike
Cheers
Mike
Beatlesiak

Post by Beatlesiak »

As I understand it, the thread has exhausted itself due to the lack of other objections to the DESS series apart from the ones raised? - the multitude of releases, updates and reissues complicates the matter of verification a bit, and how does it relate to the resources provided by BeatlesVI?
hxxps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_Od4SBc1XOlpd3jQ-GP6VONR8Tt-mW-C
Kando

Post by Kando »

Beatlesiak wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:02 pm As I understand it, the thread has exhausted itself due to the lack of other objections to the DESS series apart from the ones raised? - the multitude of releases, updates and reissues complicates the matter of verification a bit, and how does it relate to the resources provided by BeatlesVI?
hxxps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_Od4SBc1XOlpd3jQ-GP6VONR8Tt-mW-C
It would seem that way. I wish I could say that I'll get my comparison work done some time soon, but I still have significant other issues to deal with for a bit. That being said, I am very exited for when I can get around to it, as 'cliftdean74' provided a wealth of Millennium Remasters work that I had never heard of before, and will have all of that to compare as well. As I really loved the MR MFSL original silver cd versions I got long ago I am extremely excited to hear what the rest of their work sounds like.

As for the source you have referred to, I am interested in hearing how those and ones from the Mega.nz site compare. Both have a great deal of what I already had on silver cd's, so the comparisons should be interesting. They also contained a handful of less important versions that other than their unique artwork are probably not known for being overly unique in their audio quality, but still worth investigating. I generally passed up on those when putting together my original collection.

What I have found interesting is that the material put up by BeatlesVI and the person(s) who put up the Mega.nz material (was that Lennons Ghost?) have some seemingly identical tracks here and there throughout the collections. Not identical complete lp's, but just various tracks scattered here and there. I am guessing they are identical anyways as their total file sizes are precisely the same, as opposed to sometimes quite different file sizes for most tracks. I suppose there could be other reasons for that, but I am not sure what personally, as I haven't done any track transfers/uploads myself. Anyone have any thoughts on that, which I could be overlooking?

Regardless, it is great having two sources for so much material, giving me a chance to compare both, along with all of the great 'cliftdean74' MR material as well.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I don't think it is worth delving into each and every release. The fact is that he would use CD sources sometimes if he thought they sounded better, so if that was done a few times then it also must have been done on many other releases. The takeaway from this is that if itbothers you, try some of the other rips on the web, and if it doesn't then keep listening to what you enjoy. At this late date I don't think it matters anymore.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

Kando wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:05 pm What I have found interesting is that the material put up by BeatlesVI and the person(s) who put up the Mega.nz material (was that Lennons Ghost?) have some seemingly identical tracks here and there throughout the collections. Not identical complete lp's, but just various tracks scattered here and there. I am guessing they are identical anyways as their total file sizes are precisely the same, as opposed to sometimes quite different file sizes for most tracks. I suppose there could be other reasons for that, but I am not sure what personally, as I haven't done any track transfers/uploads myself. Anyone have any thoughts on that, which I could be overlooking?
Same file size is a good indicator, but the proper way of comparing two samey files is to make WAVs of both (if they are mono, they should be converted into stereo) and to compare WAVs in EAC. This comparison would show the tell-tale signs of added / missing samples.