Peter Jackson demos MAL on Day Tripper

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
unwantedman

Re: Peter Jackson demos MAL on Day Tripper

Post by unwantedman »

thanks for the link. the audio demonstration was quite remarkable. is it just me, or does anyone else have trouble understanding peter jackson sometimes? he seems to mumble.
Elmore James ain't got nothin' on this baby.
Tex

Post by Tex »

unwantedman wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:36 am thanks for the link. the audio demonstration was quite remarkable. is it just me, or does anyone else have trouble understanding peter jackson sometimes? he seems to mumble.
Yes he even joked about.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

unwantedman wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:36 am thanks for the link. the audio demonstration was quite remarkable. is it just me, or does anyone else have trouble understanding peter jackson sometimes? he seems to mumble.
He is a little bit mumbly but I actually found that incredibly refreshing. I hate all these celebs who talk in a grandiose phoney way, with all their "insights" that they have rehearsed and regurgitated a hundred times before. At least Pete is the real deal. He has actual interesting things to say and is not engaged in a PR wankfest. What other celeb would sit there and freeform for 3+ hours? I can't think of any offhand. If he is hard to follow sometimes it's only because he has a head full of ideas that are all struggling to get out at once. He may be a billionaire, but he comes over as completely unnaffected. That in itself is quite an achievement.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Mad genius he is... ;-)
millerTEK

Post by millerTEK »

Curious - is the software PJ is using to do all these isolations, something not available to the public? Can't we reproduce these in accordance with the recording sessions continuity?
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

millerTEK wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:09 am Curious - is the software PJ is using to do all these isolations, something not available to the public? Can't we reproduce these in accordance with the recording sessions continuity?
There are things that are similar based on the same principle, but MAL is not available as a download.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
bogus

Post by bogus »

millerTEK wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:09 am Curious - is the software PJ is using to do all these isolations, something not available to the public? Can't we reproduce these in accordance with the recording sessions continuity?
The principle on how their stuff works is the same as many other similar things out there. They have advantage of feeding it a lot of input data to "teach" the algorithm how for example Paul's voice sounds, or a gutar or whatever. Some of it they take from the multitracks or session tapes, I remember in previous podcast PJ said their team fed MAL a lot of data during the nights using all available computing power when they worked on Get Back. But as I understood it (maybe I'm mistaken) they also sometimes recreate how an instrument sounds at least approximately, for example using the actual guitar model, strings, amp, stuff like that. Or record a bunch of drumkit sounds and feed them all to MAL. The more it "knows", the better and cleaner the separations would be.
Tex

Post by Tex »

Peter is not an audio genius but he has the money to hire audio geniuses and make the magic happen. His crew's recent work on Beatles video and audio is a good resume for similar work on other legacy material.

Sometimes you just need people with money who also care to make stuff happen.

Peter has basically said he wants to tackle even more Beatles stuff. He bought the Star Club tapes for a reason. I would not be surprised if he gets the 1957 tape also. He certainly has enough money to gobble up all this stuff up. I'm curious what he paid for the Star Club tape. $100,000? 1 million?

I bet he's already floated the idea to Paul/Ringo of enhancing "Real Love" and "Free as a Bird." If Apple was smarter they should have did all three together as an EP.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Many already realize this is the beginning of Hope!
It's the dawn of a brand new Beatles era in which technology might even surpass expectations. So, why can't we have everything?
Peter Jackson will not be harmed by settling for the best help there is!
And from this compassion we forge virtue!
All that rises must converge.
Happy Christmas!
KC
IfYouLookToYourLeft

Post by IfYouLookToYourLeft »

Engonoceras wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:58 pm I bet he's already floated the idea to Paul/Ringo of enhancing "Real Love" and "Free as a Bird." If Apple was smarter they should have did all three together as an EP.
^This right here. I wouldn’t be surprised if this happens sooner or later. You could make an entire album out of the fixed and remixed FAAB & RL. Include instrumental mixes and vocal tracks. Throw on an original demo for each of the 3 tracks for comparison.