Star Club photos & interesting stuff

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
AiN

Re: Star Club photos & interesting stuff

Post by AiN »

what an amazing thread! Thanks to all who have contributed pics and info.

Peter Jackson is like having a true fan in the Apple camp, one of those old style 'worker on the company board' style arrangements that really is a blessing for all of us.
georgefromhenley

Post by georgefromhenley »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:08 pm
georgefromhenley wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:45 pm
The transcript i have in my book is slightly different to the one in the CD sets. I hope Peter has my book but I dont know. If he hasnt he should contact me.
With demixing I have been able to greatly improve the intelligibility of the links. So i will have to post a revised transcript.
OK - I will compare this then - I know there is one bit that is wrong in most transcript and that is only to be understood as German AND with phantasy about the situation it is said. I look forward your work and would be happy to compare it before publication.
maxwilbury

Post by maxwilbury »

Hi everyone, I don't know if this would be useful to all, just in case, there are several Star Club pictures and visuals in it.

1962 The Beatles in Hamburg - Red Hot
hxxps://we.tl/t-eI2z1VMeJ1

From Hob :

Code: Select all

For this cd I have gone back to the three raw tapes made available on Purple Chick’s ‘Star Club’ set. Firstly, a large amount of treble emphasis has been applied, which not only makes Ringo’s cymbals clearly audible for the first time but brings the vocals to the fore. A de-crackle filter has also been applied to remove the transient distortion on John’s guitar, and reduce its prominence in the mix. Original tape splices have also been tidied up and levels bumped where needed.

Additionally, several tracks which the Chick sourced from an ‘official’ cd have been carefully equalised to match the sound of the raw tapes. These tracks are: Be Bop A Lula, Hallelujah I Love Her So, Nothin’ Shakin’, Little Queenie and the second half of Where Have You Been All My Life. I have also included Hippy Hippy Shake from the same source, since the sound is very similar to the tracks that follow and I believe it is probably from the same night. A German introduction from club owner Manfred Weissleder has also been included at the start to set the scene.

Tracklist:

1. Introduction
2. Hippy Hippy Shake
3. Be-Bop-A-Lula
4. Chat
5. I Saw Her Standing There 
6. Chat
7. Hallelujah I Love Her So
8. Red Hot (incomplete)
9. Sheila
10. Chat
11. Kansas City/Hey Hey Hey Hey
12. Chat
13. Shimmy Like Kate
14. Chat
15. Reminiscing
16. Chat
17. Red Sails In The Sunset
18. Chat
19. Sweet Little Sixteen
20. Chat
21. Roll Over Beethoven
22. Chat
23. A Taste Of Honey (incomplete)
24. Nothin' Shakin' (But The Leaves On The Trees)
25. Chat
26. I Saw Her Standing There
27. Chat
28. To Know Her Is To Love Her
29. Chat
30. Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby
31. Chat
32. Till There Was You
33. Chat
34. Where Have You Been All My Life?
35. Chat
36. Lend Me Your Comb
37. Chat
38. Your Feet's Too Big
39. I'm Talking About You
40. Chat
41. A Taste Of Honey
42. Chat
43. Matchbox
44. Chat
45. Little Queenie
46. Chat
47. Roll Over Beethoven

Also included are:

- A complete, accurate transcription of all the lyrics exactly as sung by The Beatles, in both HTML and Word format for printing.
- 'Junk Or Genius?', an essay on the recordings by yours truly.
- Front and back artwork.
- Liner notes.
- Photographs of the group at the Star Club
- CD text.
“Bigger than me?! That's not that hard to do, people back in my day were much shorter than they are today.”
~ Jesus on The Beatles
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

This came up on my Facebook in my memories this Ted 7 years ago posted this thought posted to this posted not sure book but thought find it interesting
Attachments
IMG_7360.jpeg
IMG_7360.jpeg (246.77 KiB) Viewed 1077 times
Chris
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

There seems to be a virtual cornucopia of links to other artists' Star Club recordings on the oldrocker blog. You gotta scroll to get to em. But they there.

https://oldrockerbr.blogspot.com
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

WOA76 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:56 pm This came up on my Facebook in my memories this Ted 7 years ago posted this thought posted to this posted not sure book but thought find it interesting
Just one problem... The Beatles had performed the song on tv and radio prior to the last Hamburg trip!

The bit about John taking his shirt off for TAS though is interesting. I had heard that before, but didn't know the source. But why would he take off his shirt in a cold studio in winter??
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Choking Smoker

Post by Choking Smoker »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:15 pm
WOA76 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:56 pm This came up on my Facebook in my memories this Ted 7 years ago posted this thought posted to this posted not sure book but thought find it interesting
Just one problem... The Beatles had performed the song on tv and radio prior to the last Hamburg trip!

The bit about John taking his shirt off for TAS though is interesting. I had heard that before, but didn't know the source. But why would he take off his shirt in a cold studio in winter??
I don't know which book that scan above was taken from but I do know that account of John stripping to his waist and gargling milk before recording Twist and Shout has been circulating for decades although I don't recall the source. There was an English TV documentary for the 50th anniversary of the Please Please Me album and they interviewed a journalist who said he turned up late in the session and when The Beatles were discussing which song to do next it was him who suggested Twist and Shout having recently heard them perform it.
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

The bit about John taking his shirt off for TAS though is interesting. I had heard that before but didn't know the source. But why would he take off his shirt in a cold studio in winter??
agreed.....memory not good years later...even my age
i thought the part about the shirt interesting...
not sure what book came from wish he was here to ask maybe someone knows....just thought i share
Chris
Choking Smoker

Post by Choking Smoker »

WOA76 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:20 am

The bit about John taking his shirt off for TAS though is interesting. I had heard that before but didn't know the source. But why would he take off his shirt in a cold studio in winter??
agreed.....memory not good years later...even my age
i thought the part about the shirt interesting...
not sure what book came from wish he was here to ask maybe someone knows....just thought i share
The source seems to be the recollection of recording engineer Norman Smith. This article also references the story I recalled about a journalist suggesting "Twist and Shout" as the last number...although he couldn't recall the title of the track he was suggesting lol. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... ur-128271/