Now And Then (merged threads)

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
20YearsAgo

Re: Now And Then - Penn Jillette Has Heard It

Post by 20YearsAgo »

evenswr wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:53 pm
theboxinargentina wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:38 pmWhat we know for sure is what Jillette is saying, and I'm inclined to believe him. I don't know why he would make it up.
I'm inclined to believe him generally, but I have no reason to think that every word of what he said is correct. You don't have to be lying to be mistaken.
That's kind of what I meant... he may not be lying, but just misinformed?
zappaf78

Post by zappaf78 »

20YearsAgo wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:30 pm

Question: Jillette mentions that the Lennon's "Now and Then" original piano demo was marred with the sounds of a television broadcast he was watching during its recording. Is that true? I just listened casually to the "Now and Then" on HMC's "At Home" set... and I couldn't make out a television on that track. So immediately, I'm inclined to question the truthfulness of everything Jillette said.

[Of course, it's possible that Giles & Co were working off a different recording...]
The original that was liberated on Pegboy:

Has the original recording, with a terrible buzzing sound throughout the recording. Someone later successfully removed the buzz and released it in their Dakota demos set 1975-1980.
20YearsAgo

Post by 20YearsAgo »

zappaf78 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:40 amHas the original recording, with a terrible buzzing sound throughout the recording. Someone later successfully removed the buzz and released it in their Dakota demos set 1975-1980.
The buzzing's on the HMC "At Home" set, too. Maybe not as bad as the original Pegboy?

Now that you mention it though, I do recall there being another boot that sounded better.

EDIT: The same recording, in stereo, is also on HMC'S UNFINISHED MUSIC. Not perfect, but better than the Pegboy. Still no TV though.
dascottjr

Post by dascottjr »

He could have turned the TV down, but not off, hence the buzz from it still being on...? That's the best way I could connect a TV set into the story.

Interesting that Penn would mention a bit of "Because" harmonies (some repitched "ahhh's") maybe being used in the recording, since the Iamaphoney mixes have also (coincidentally, of course) used parts of those vocals (the "love is you" lines).
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I don't really doubt that he heard bits of a remastered Red and Blue and N&T, but in trying to fill in the details he's clearly just riffing on some very basic knowledge that he has about it. I wouldn't pay much attention to any of that.

Actually what I found far more worrying is that according to him the Red And Blue suddenly sounds like Imagine Dragons. I hope that is a wild exaggeration and not an accurate statement. There's no reason why The Beatles need to sound like anyone other than The Beatles.

Anyway, looks as though it might be a remastered R&B, a Help/RS box and a single or EP of Now And Then. Not a bad little haul.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
theboxinargentina

Post by theboxinargentina »

Last edited by theboxinargentina on Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Just another Merlot? Or, Château Lascombes Margaux?
Man, this thing is like a self-exciting Dynamo on super-crank. Thank God, Penn intervened. Has Jillette relocated to Midsomer to rub along with Village life's Good and Great? And, why bring harm to an already-broken top-hat? Again? That trick never works! If opinions are still allowed, would I want Paul McCartney's analysis of contemporary Vegas magic acts? Despite all of that, I did learn something. Is ambiguity really an ethical concern? Why would its creation concern itself with vintage correctness when this obviously has no stopping point. How is honesty applied to the age of artificial voice in the standard fictitious reality? Will this be yet another shattered hope for those who prefer a specific brogue tenor vibrato crescendo timbre to enhance the magical counterpoint of Brie on pumpernickel picnic blankets and moonglow after midnight on Montegue Square at DAMN THIS!. I wanted Paul to sing a now and when remake of Boil Crisis in voices of incremental vintage that typify the best years from Chateau Rothschild's McCartney Collection. ALL voices of vintages unknown will be possible. We're already outside of Nature so why the authenticity criteria? Diametric opposition?
How about when everyone hated the Fairchild 660 Limiter because it was indestructible? Have AI include Pellicle mics of WWII vintage for the Star Spangled Guitar mixes! Neumann microphones like to be coated with Norman Smith's cigarette smoke. Just don't lay them in the ashbins. Now, all we need is a Campo's Burritos like on 14th & Pico! That made me hungry!
Move over, David Blain!
HooDoo?
You, do!
Penn, where do you live?
How did you get here?
KC
Bazilnerk

Post by Bazilnerk »

The de-ageing of Paul's voice idea has made me think. I'm no fan of Joe Blogs singing something and them it being "turned" into Paul. But I don't have a problem with de-ageing, as it's still the same person with the same turn of phrase.

I started to think that this could actually be taken a step further as a restoration tool. Take a poor quality recording - Starclub perhaps - split it into its component parts and then using other recordings of Beatles instruments and voices, use AI to rebuild the performance. Might not be possible yet, but I suspect it's not far away.
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

Well Paul doesn’t fess up to using autotune…so why would he be forthcoming about this?
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

theboxinargentina wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:06 am
evenswr wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:53 pm I'm inclined to believe him generally, but I have no reason to think that every word of what he said is correct. You don't have to be lying to be mistaken.
Some of it is obviously mistaken. And I agree.

There is surely some erroneous information in what he’s saying for sure. Didn’t Ringo do the drums back in the 90’s?