Now And Then (merged threads)

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Maccawings

Re: Now And Then - Penn Jillette Has Heard It

Post by Maccawings »

While he does get some of the history of the track wrong, I'd say this is for the most part true and just Jillette errantly retelling the information that he was told. Either way, an interesting listen
theboxinargentina

Post by theboxinargentina »

Rickenbacker325 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:43 pm There is surely some erroneous information in what he’s saying for sure. Didn’t Ringo do the drums back in the 90’s?
It's pretty clear he did them recently for the final record, whether he did them in the 90s or not, as he has said so himself.
I was referring to (meaningless really) errors like thinking the Anthology was in the 80s.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Bazilnerk wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:17 pm The de-ageing of Paul's voice idea has made me think. I'm no fan of Joe Blogs singing something and them it being "turned" into Paul. But I don't have a problem with de-ageing, as it's still the same person with the same turn of phrase.
I guess not, but the sticking point for me is that the person doing the singing need not even be Paul. Sure there'd be a placebo effect knowing that the "real" Paul was at the other end of the algorithm, but I hate the idea of him singing the song in a lower key and then using Sovits to recreate his old higher voice. That to me is a parlour trick and okay for youtubers but not someone of macca's standing. But it's a slippery slope and I suspect that within five years, EVERYONE will be using it in the same way they now use autotune, whether they can sing well or not.
I started to think that this could actually be taken a step further as a restoration tool. Take a poor quality recording - Starclub perhaps - split it into its component parts and then using other recordings of Beatles instruments and voices, use AI to rebuild the performance. Might not be possible yet, but I suspect it's not far away.
Well, some people have tried that but it doesn't really work. You need a high quality input voice to get high quality output. Otherwise it just comes out sounding like someone with a speech impediment.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
RalseiDeltarune

Post by RalseiDeltarune »

I feel like they're changing Paul's voice just because they can. Still, I hope it doesn't diminish the overall quality of the track.

I'm still in disbelief that this is even happening. I know there's probably gonna be more box sets and unbootlegged stuff and whatnot but.. I can't shake the feeling of "This is it. The last Beatles song they will ever make." I just hope they'll make it go off with a bang. :D
Interested in any/all Bootlegs. Sometimes I make my own.

Catalog is posted here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2649
RalseiDeltarune

Post by RalseiDeltarune »

Also, who's kinda excited about the new Red & Blue remixes? We finally get some pre-66 remixes! I can't wait to see what they'll do with Love Me Do and She Loves You.

Perhaps expanded versions of Red & Blue may be on the table? :shock:
Interested in any/all Bootlegs. Sometimes I make my own.

Catalog is posted here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2649
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I'm not interested in the R&B aside from hearing what they do with She Loves You and Love Me Do. But I am very interested to hear Now And then. I have my misgivings but I'm happy to reserve judgement until I hear it. I dearly hope that it is fantastic and a fitting end to The Beatles.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

Kwai Chang wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:48 pm Now, all we need is a Campo's Burritos like on 14th & Pico! That made me hungry!
Campos at 20th and Pico is one of my old high-school favorites! After a day at the beach, sauntering into Campo's for their famous Avocado Burr. It's still there, too!

Awesome memories!
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Bazilnerk wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:17 pm The de-ageing of Paul's voice idea has made me think. I'm no fan of Joe Blogs singing something and them it being "turned" into Paul. But I don't have a problem with de-ageing, as it's still the same person with the same turn of phrase.

I started to think that this could actually be taken a step further as a restoration tool. Take a poor quality recording - Starclub perhaps - split it into its component parts and then using other recordings of Beatles instruments and voices, use AI to rebuild the performance. Might not be possible yet, but I suspect it's not far away.
Pardon the VERY RECENT context.
It's Imperialism. It's not even incognito.
It's still the game it's always been.
Prepare to see the best Alchemy yet,
but it's clear so you might have to look hard to see it.
But, AI will be pursuing an ever lucrative harvest known as copyright revenue as the quest for knowledge 'owns' up to ownership which is approaching TOTAL status. Don't blink...Are you kidding? This is what the crux has always wanted to be. There was no way to track a total list of intellectual activity that was in compliance or otherwise. At least our automobiles know where I like to eat. Is the plate reader going to notify HAL-bot that I've been at The Candy Cat for the last four hours? I donated lots of juke box money! Notice how the smart meters follow you around the room. Even if her posture is perfect, wait til she tells you that there is a CEMA fee for the jukebox override on these songs...blah blah blah! The social media really speaks Bovine quite well. I missed it. The moment has been anticipated for 260 years. It's in place...and guess what? It's hardly artificial. New AI versions will emulate the legality of absolute violation,. and the world of publishing might take on the appearance of a feeding frenzy of Mako, Hammerhead and Thresher varieties! My advice is expect the unexpected. This is the best its ever been. Projected harvest percentages are just quotas. It will ramp up in ways that might take the fun out of music. Desensitization makes one complacent and detachment of the real from the vividly imagined might be financially unavoidable. Quiz night! We'll always have quiz night. The question was "DID YOU READ YOUR END OF PRIVACY TERMS"? Jeeeezus! Man, come on! Why not ask me if I'm a member of the Truth-Telling Tribe?
The entire world is now the DMV! Netflix is the proof I'm a conspiracy deviant!
Yawwwwwn.
I am changing my name to Bobby Sands and I'm going on a hunger strike against Smart AI...
Have you tithed today?
No, that was a tooth pick!
Good God!
I'm going to my living room.
I want to wake up before bedtime!
KC
Bazilnerk

Post by Bazilnerk »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:57 pm
I guess not, but the sticking point for me is that the person doing the singing need not even be Paul.

Exactly my point. Only Paul can sing like Paul. Using AI to de age i think is fair enough, but someone who is not Paul having their voice changed, rarely works as the phrasing is wrong
Lord Reith wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:57 pm
Well, some people have tried that but it doesn't really work. You need a high quality input voice to get high quality output. Otherwise it just comes out sounding like someone with a speech impediment.
I did say we weren't there yet, but if machine learning or AI can split material up to Peter Jackson standards, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that in the not too distant future AI will allow us to decipher what was originally sung and rebuild what was lost either due to low quality recording or degradation. After all it wasn't that long ago it was said that separating sound of any kind was pretty much impossible.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

AI was a slow learner
perhaps even spoiled.
We should be thankful for any parent that teaches their children to have manners.
It's part of rearing a child. But, this technology was designed to listen to a crowd and then
transcribe every voice, dialogue and seating location taking place in the din!
(ie: which of the people are buying drugs, selling drugs, pimping, hooking, cheating, extorting,
blackmailing, bribing, reveling, raving, lingering, loitering and singing off key! It sounds like
most of them are here for the open bar(alcohol). And, one spouse actually received a dozen
long stemmed roses. So, we know it's not Valentine's Day.
Exemplo terminado!
KC

So, most of you are 'safe'...(who put the BOMP?)