File Transfer Without Having to Reformat???

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
RunoutGroove

File Transfer Without Having to Reformat???

Post by RunoutGroove »

Hi all, I'm just trying to move the Film and TV Chronicles I downloaded on to my laptop to my external 2tb hard drive. There is plenty of room on the HD, but I am getting that 'file too large' message.
Is there a way to move the file without having to reformat the HD? I don't want to loose or have to empty a gazillion files. It is currently FAT32, which works best with my blu ray player when plugged in.
Any solutions? Thanks guys
FestVideoRoom

Re: File Transfer Without Having to Reformat???

Post by FestVideoRoom »

RunoutGroove wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:02 pm Hi all, I'm just trying to move the Film and TV Chronicles I downloaded on to my laptop to my external 2tb hard drive. There is plenty of room on the HD, but I am getting that 'file too large' message.
Is there a way to move the file without having to reformat the HD? I don't want to loose or have to empty a gazillion files. It is currently FAT32, which works best with my blu ray player when plugged in.
Any solutions? Thanks guys

No. FAT32 does not support files larger than 4GB. That's a hard limit: FAT32 is a VERY old and outdated format. What I would suggest is either backing the files up elsewhere or purchasing a new 2TB drive (they're dirt cheap these days) and formatting it as exFAT which will remove the file limitations and should be more compatible with the player if you're seriously having an issue with NTFS.
MUR

Post by MUR »

Fast: Just 'compress' by WinRAR (or other archiver) with no-compression and break into corresponding size parts (<2 gb).
Slow: Uncompress 7z archives to vob files that should fit. Slowest: compress them back by WinRAR or 7z and simultaneously break into parts as above.
Searching hard for missing Silent Hills, Non Plus Ultra, WWII, Xavel, Shakuntala sets, fresh Misterclaudel/Valkyrie/Piccadilly.
Also searching hard for FAB CD / DVD releases (solo ones are priority). Ready to trade FAB DVDs with those who trades.
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

I'm mainly a Mac user with one old 2008 Mac laptop on Linux for fun. I also had a home-built PC until recently, during which time I thought, "Why not have one of my 8TB hard drives formatted natively for Windows and/or Linux for better compatibility."

That began a miserable hell of moving files at glacial speeds from one (Mac) HDD to another (non-Mac), for days and weeks. I tried both exFAT and NTFS for the target. Along the way I learned that compared to the Mac's native Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format, due to larger block size, eXFAT did not allow as much data to be stored on the same size drive (in addition to the aforementioned 4GB file size limit). NTFS was more modern but deathly slow to copy to in this scenario.

In the end I stopped the platter-shredding exercise and ended up having all of my external spinning drives as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and any external SSD as APFS. If I ever need to access this data on another OS, it's much more doable over the local network (or even the cloud, within reason).

I do have a flash drive formatted as NTFS to transfer movies copied from the Mac onto the Linux laptop (as a waystation) to the TV, so it's actually useful in that respect (I don't feel like messing with Tuxera or whatever on the Mac).

So as advised by others, I guess the OP is best off with exFAT.
RunoutGroove

Post by RunoutGroove »

Thanks all, that's given me some options.