5 minute version of Tomottow never knows?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
beatlepaul

5 minute version of Tomottow never knows?

Post by beatlepaul »

This just popped up on my facebook feed, anybody heard of a 5 minute version, is it legit, what do you guys think.
Screenshot_20231015_095022_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20231015_095022_Facebook.jpg (438.86 KiB) Viewed 1125 times
Mr Bump

Re: 5 minute version of Tomottow never knows?

Post by Mr Bump »

Got to be a question mark over this. They recorded three takes. Take 1 (Anthology 2) is three minutes. Take 2 was a break-down and Take 3 was overdubbed and used on Revolver. If this is a five-minutes long it could include studio chatter I guess.
beatlepaul

Post by beatlepaul »

Mr Bump wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:53 am Got to be a question mark over this. They recorded three takes. Take 1 (Anthology 2) is three minutes. Take 2 was a break-down and Take 3 was overdubbed and used on Revolver. If this is a five-minutes long it could include studio chatter I guess.
This is what the owner states in the comments.

"To my ear, it sounded as though there were certain sound effects on this version that did not appear in the released version, and that the instrumental portion of the song was extended to create the extra two minutes"
Fast lucky

Post by Fast lucky »

If it was genuine, he would put it on auction. And the "Reference recording" seems very dubious to me. My 2 cents.
tulirepo

Post by tulirepo »

Does the signature (George Martin's?) on the reference recording label look genuine? And does the "calibrate 2 db @ 1000 cps" (if that's what it reads) note make sense?
Patrick Healy

Post by Patrick Healy »

Mr Bump wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:53 am Got to be a question mark over this. They recorded three takes. Take 1 (Anthology 2) is three minutes. Take 2 was a break-down and Take 3 was overdubbed and used on Revolver. If this is a five-minutes long it could include studio chatter I guess.
In my mind there are three criteria for determining an acetate's authenticity:
1) the label should look genuine
2). the content should match some mix which exists or was known to exist at one point; if such a mix doesn't exist it should be believable that such a moment of audio occurs on the session tape that someone would specifically choose to cut out, mix and press to acetate
3) the content should not be fakeable or if it is the owner should post a sample just to show everyone it's not fake

Seems very, very dubious because it fakes all three tests in my mind:
1) reference recording is an odd label to give an acetate, but isn't at all odd to use to give a fakery a bit of prestige
2) no "five-minute version" of TNK is known to have existed and if it was there's no record of it being mixed to mono or pressed to acetate
3) the owner doesn't provide or offer to provide a sample, seems more interested in payment, and especially with the partial Rockband multis I could easily paste a couple more rounds of the opening instrumental in and added sound effects of my own. It would seem odd for the owner to provide such a description so it's possible they've been duped themselves
As this acetate fails all three tests, I'm voting fake
Last edited by Patrick Healy on Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fast lucky

Post by Fast lucky »

Fully agree !
twogurusindrag

Post by twogurusindrag »

I don't know if you misspelled the title intentionally, but it's hilarious.
She's a drag. A well-known drag. We turn the sound down on her and say rude things.
harrythebannister

Post by harrythebannister »

twogurusindrag wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:43 pm I don't know if you misspelled the title intentionally, but it's hilarious.
A tomato never knows :lol:
MP3J

Post by MP3J »

twogurusindrag wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:43 pm I don't know if you misspelled the title intentionally, but it's hilarious.
Macca quotes this title in Monkberry Moon Delight...."the horrible sound of Tomottow!"