Get Back: Withdrawn early mix?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
General Pepper

Post by General Pepper »

Has anyone heard of the Get Back single being withdrawn for a remix in 1969?

Image[/url]

Someone just sent me this, and I'd never heard of it. This clipping appears to be from Canada and can be found at https://3345.ca/artists/ART000005/Beatles+The/

I'm guessing they might be referring to the Get Back acetate that was being played by radio stations in the middle of 69.

GP
foolonthepill

Post by foolonthepill »

Yes.
"Get Back" (the song) was mixed into mono on 26th March 1969, it was met with approval and acetates were cut.
On Sunday 6th April British radio disc-jockeys John Peel and Alan Freeman broadcast acetate copies of "Get Back" (the album), announcing the title track would be rush-release as a single on 11th April.
However, Paul was not happy with the mono mix of "Get Back" (the song) so he quickly booked time at Olympic where a new mono mix was completed on 7th April and finally released on 11th April.
The acetates of "Get Back" (the album), including "Get Back" (the song), which were broadcast by John Peel and Alan Freeman, were the stereo mixes done by Glyn Johns between 10th and 13th March 1969.
Copies of those acetates have been available for collectors for ages and can be found 'out there in Pepperland' if you seach for them.
I hope this reply explains.
harrylime

Re: Get Back: Withdrawn early mix?

Post by harrylime »

There's already a topic on this subject: viewtopic.php?t=6850
Kwai Chang

Re: Get Back: Withdrawn early mix?

Post by Kwai Chang »

foolonthepill wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:29 pm Yes.
"Get Back" (the song) was mixed into mono on 26th March 1969, it was met with approval and acetates were cut.
On Sunday 6th April British radio disc-jockeys John Peel and Alan Freeman broadcast acetate copies of "Get Back" (the album), announcing the title track would be rush-release as a single on 11th April.
However, Paul was not happy with the mono mix of "Get Back" (the song) so he quickly booked time at Olympic where a new mono mix was completed on 7th April and finally released on 11th April.
The acetates of "Get Back" (the album), including "Get Back" (the song), which were broadcast by John Peel and Alan Freeman, were the stereo mixes done by Glyn Johns between 10th and 13th March 1969.
Copies of those acetates have been available for collectors for ages and can be found 'out there in Pepperland'
WHO mixed into mono on the 26th of March...at Apple???(Yikes)
Was the single not produced by George Martin? I know it's the only Beatles release to credit an outsider on the label! (Billy Preston...featuring). Unlike other Beatles songs, I never heard Get Back on the radio in any form until 1973(Blue) which also happens to be the first time I heard the single version. By that time, I was etched with the LIB LP version. It didn't matter. The best part of the song wasn't even included on the single. It's not on the album either! It's ONLY in the MOVIE! Nicely played, MJH! I never forgot the reprise scat vocal from watching LIB in 1970. I had no idea that it was part of the PROPER recording. But the only reprise that I know of was created by Glyn Johns AFTER(?) this single release occurred! Maybe this WAS recorded at EMI! The single sounds better recorded(intro). The single fades immediately as the Get Back(reprise) begins. Maybe Paul DIDN'T mix the mono (March 26).He might have wanted to include the reprise for some reason. If the single faded the Get Back reprise EXACTLY the way that Hogg did at the end of movie! Then, you would have a better single that could be faded early on radio. You'd have a better ending on album (tagged with 'audition'). ONE version for both...except Spector won't even mix the LP for months. The movie is months away. Why didn't they put bleachers on the roof across the street.
So, who mixed the mono on March 26? Glyn John? <-----(creator of Get Back LPs where REPRISE got placed! Bravo Mr. Johns)
What a mess! This song doesn't deserve this kind of scrutiny! It only goes round and round like a...wheel!
The single should have included dialog from the curb! Have Derek send a memo from Monterey!
"I cannot relate to your general admission seating"
Reprise! Reprise! Reprise to where you once be long
Please don't, please don't, please don't you be very long!
Sitting here in Savile Row!
KC