Nine year old mystery solved

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Lord Reith

Nine year old mystery solved

Post by Lord Reith »

I don't know how many of you ever read this great thread, but 9 years ago a guy called Mike uploaded to Steve Hoffman music forums a recording he'd made of a girl he'd heard singing down the hall at college in 1968. He invited her to his room and recorded an album's worth of material by holding two microphones in front of her guitar and mouth. But he forgot to ask her name!

A lot of names have been thrown up over the years about who this might have been but it turns out it is almost certainly Carol Duke from the little known band Marvin Gardens. There is no denying it is the same person when you compare the voices. Sadly, she died the same year the tape was posted (2014)! Sadly Mike has passed away as well. But it's nice to have the answer, and it is a nice tape with a wonderful story behind it. The most bizarre turn is that some bootleg label issued the tape on cd (without permission) even way before anyone knew who it was!

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... ng.346756/
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
20YearsAgo

Re: Nine year old mystery solved

Post by 20YearsAgo »

You've been following this story too? It's about the only Hoffman thread that I pay attention to. I LOVE that dorm tape, which I first found via torrent ages ago. I play it quite frequently.

For those unfamiliar with the the US Santa Cruz 1967 Dorm Tape,

billychildish

Post by billychildish »

Wow! Really fascinating. Thanks for sharing this.
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:45 amalmost certainly Carol Duke from the little known band Marvin Gardens
Great find and great story!

Here is their album "1968":

hxxps://drive.google.com/file/d/1X-2saSGNguu-RoXpDxHzbtfaJXcNPhkS/view?usp=sharing

Some further info:

hxxps://dangerousminds.net/comments/meet_lost_san_francisco_hippie_era_band_marvin_gardens

hxxps://www.marinij.com/2017/01/12/1968-a-lost- ... n-gardens/

(Please Google)