The Beatles Mums

Share the latest updates from the Fabs/Friends. Links to interviews and articles go here.
CostaRica2022

The Beatles Mums

Post by CostaRica2022 »

I don't think this has been posted yet.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... atles.html
Lord Reith

Re: The Beatles Mums

Post by Lord Reith »

Sad to see people dumping on Mimi again.

Mimi was John's mother. Maybe not on paper, but in terms of what a mother is and does for her child, she was that. Her "snobbery" is what made John a cut above the other Liverpool louts. If she recognised in John an unusually high intelligence then it's completely forgivable that she wanted him to make the most of it and not spend his time playing guitar and end up like his mum and dad. That is love and caring. What precedent was there for a Liverpool boy playing guitar and going onto become a world famous millionaire artist? There is no way she could have anticipated such a thing, and it is ridiculous and shameful that John would blame her for "not treating me like a genius".

All of John's psychological problems stemmed from Julia and Fred. All of his strengths came from Mimi. Without Mimi, I am absolutely certain that John would have ended up a no-hoper and we wouldn't be talking about The Beatles now.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
rainy

Post by rainy »

I agree completely with Lord Reith. She was probably overall the biggest influence on him. All the hours, weeks, months, and years of time they spent together. From about everything we've read or heard from him, he appreciated and loved her, even if he didn't always agree with her. He was her "baby".

She deserves more credit than she gets.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Theirs
or, the I.R.S.
????

Impossible
or, I'm possible!
????

Mendips
or, men dips!
????

What? You mean you never heard of the Daily Howl?
"That's the funniest viewpoint I've ever wished was my own. You see I'm not just the writer...I'm the nephew!
It's all the things that my aunt says when I pretend to not listen or play guitar!"
John got the best of everything. I'd say Mimi would be a role model of the rarest variety today. She can't be blamed for having the best home or the worst sister or the easiest luck. Nobody has it better than anyone. Julia didn't owe society anything. She probably blamed society for her own selfishness. This is what Mimi was up against. How could she win? The was a Super Hero for feminism. What was the name of her house, again? "Test tickle"? Mimi was already resentful(angry and jealous and vengeful) but still cared enough to give John's mother opportunity to do the right thing. It looked like Mimi might be over protective but I prefer to think she was calculated and gave John direction via reverse psychology. I mean, where do men do anything women say?
Didn't all women have reasons to aspire to higher calling?
Yup! In Mimi's case, she just didn't want John to turn into the Son Of Freddie!
So, change the channel. Mimi deserves to wave the banner. She put society ahead of herself, and the upper echelon. She didn't belittle her sister in John's presence. She knew how to control John without his knowledge. "A guitar's alright?" Now, John knows it's good! After all, Mimi is Me Me and she's pure woman. And, at some point, John had to wonder why she made such sacrifices for his benefit!<-----(Estrogen???)
"Mimi, where's the M.B.E.?"
Has any woman done as much as Mimi did? Think about that carefully.
Thank you, Mimi...from the whole world!
KC
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

rainy wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:18 pm I agree completely with Lord Reith. She was probably overall the biggest influence on him. All the hours, weeks, months, and years of time they spent together. From about everything we've read or heard from him, he appreciated and loved her, even if he didn't always agree with her. He was her "baby".

She deserves more credit than she gets.
A while back I posted a video of Mimi from 1964 and her mannerisms and facial expressions are very like those of John to the point where you realise they must have spent a lot of time face to face together in close quarters just like an ordinary mother and child. A lot of people make the mistake of thinking that because she didn't indulge him she was a bad parent... surely an insult to any parent who ever struggled to control a willfull child. By all accounts Paul's mother was exactly the same and like John it was the man of the house who was the soft touch. John got plenty of cuddles and fun from his uncle George, he didn't need it from Mimi too. Let's also not forget that the name "Mimi" is not a whole lot different to "Mummy" especially to a child. John got rebelious later on like any teenager and probably relished slighting Mimi by spending time with Julia, but according to accounts from people who knew him he still talked with Mimi every day on the phone till the end of his life. You don't do that unless there is a very deep bond with someone. Maybe John just couldn't bear to accept that Mimi was his mother because it would also mean accepting also that Julia didn't want him. All I know is that if you want to confuse, anger and screw up your child then follow the textbook example of Julia Dykins. She really did a number on poor John. But it was Mimi who rescued him from the ashes and instilled character and strength in him. Like I said, I doubt John would have ever amounted to anything without her.
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

It must have been very difficult dealing with a teenage John Lennon. Not helped no doubt by his renewed relationship with Julia who likely undercut on a lot of the good Mimi did with him. That had to be hard on Mimi, as much as she loved her sister. Mimi made a household where John could grown up with books to read, a loving uncle, an aunt who cared for his needs. Everything he needed and would never have gotten from Julia (or Fred of course). She may have groused and grumbled at his choices, but she still gave him a roof over his head and food on the table. He wouldn’t see that level of stability until late in his too short life.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

MrMurphMcgee wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:09 pm It must have been very difficult dealing with a teenage John Lennon. Not helped no doubt by his renewed relationship with Julia who likely undercut on a lot of the good Mimi did with him. That had to be hard on Mimi, as much as she loved her sister. Mimi made a household where John could grown up with books to read, a loving uncle, an aunt who cared for his needs. Everything he needed and would never have gotten from Julia (or Fred of course). She may have groused and grumbled at his choices, but she still gave him a roof over his head and food on the table. He wouldn’t see that level of stability until late in his too short life.
I was listening to John's "Pop Profile" interview from November 1965 and he seems quite mature about his past, saying that "things that annoyed me at the time but I now realise were right". So it's sad that later he would take the Harry and Meghan route and start blaming everyone in his family for not being perfect.