Who was it who posted on BZ a few years back about Paris being shot on 800 line videotape?

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Lord Reith

Who was it who posted on BZ a few years back about Paris being shot on 800 line videotape?

Post by Lord Reith »

It was an experimental video format that was only used for the 65 Paris concert and a few other things.

Somebody posted about it in detail on BZ a few years back. Was it you? HEY YOU! Yes, you! BZ is of course gone now and I never kept a copy of what you told us. But it was indispensable information. Please post it again!

There was also stuff about the director hating the result because he loved classicial. Forgotten his name too.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
harrylime

Re: Who was it who posted on BZ a few years back about Paris being shot on 800 line videotape?

Post by harrylime »

That would be 819 line SECAM, of which I can't find any collaborating source that it was used for the Paris concerts. However the system was also used by the US company Electronovision, and according to http://moviemagg.blogspot.com/2017/11/t ... uring.html they filmed the Washington DC concert, so perhaps that's what was meant? However this 2017 article mentions the last segment being lost while we all know the full tape survived since it was released in 2010 on iTunes in relation to the advent of the Beatles catalogue becoming available there and on other streaming services, so I'm a bit weary to give it much weight apart from it being the only source claiming this. The recording also didn't look that much different from other SD footage, although it could still mean that an SD copy was the only surviving source and the HD registration was lost.
Lord Reith

Re: Who was it who posted on BZ a few years back about Paris being shot on 800 line videotape?

Post by Lord Reith »

That's a start, thanks. But there was someone who knew a whole lot about it. Hopefully he'll read this post.

819 lines is twice the resolution of British tv at the time (405 lines). Later the Britis changed to 625 lines but this would be even better.
dannysonar

Post by dannysonar »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:27 am It was an experimental video format that was only used for the 65 Paris concert and a few other things.

Somebody posted about it in detail on BZ a few years back. Was it you? HEY YOU! Yes, you! BZ is of course gone now and I never kept a copy of what you told us. But it was indispensable information. Please post it again!

There was also stuff about the director hating the result because he loved classicial. Forgotten his name too.
i'm not the one who knows about the technical stuff, sorry, but I'm the one who gave background info about the director. His name was Jean-Christophe Averty, he loved jazz and French chanson, and apparently despised rock music. He was an extremely imaginative and inventive director. It doesn't show much when he filmed the Beatles, though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Christophe_Averty
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

dannysonar wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:30 pm
i'm not the one who knows about the technical stuff, sorry, but I'm the one who gave background info about the director. His name was Jean-Christophe Averty, he loved jazz and French chanson, and apparently despised rock music. He was an extremely imaginative and inventive director. It doesn't show much when he filmed the Beatles, though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Christophe_Averty
Thanks! Wish someone had archived that thread. It had a lot of info and pictures.
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:07 pmThanks! Wish someone had archived that thread. It had a lot of info and pictures.
Literally over 20 years ago I suggested somebody site-suck BZ (because they were always having troubles) and everybody got on me...
Steve J

Post by Steve J »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:07 pm
Thanks! Wish someone had archived that thread. It had a lot of info and pictures.
Bootlegzone forum is archived in the wayback machine (part of archive.org). The difficulty is that it is not searchable - but you can browse the whole forum. *all* you need to do is remember the date (more or less) when the article was added to the forum, and simply browse until you find it. Good luck.
bobzilla

Post by bobzilla »

Unfortunately not the entirety of the forum was archived.

I did a search in my download of the archive and didn't find anything. I searched for:

Code: Select all

SECAM
Jean-Christophe
Averty
Paris
If there's something else I should look for let me know and I can see if there's anything. But so far no luck.
dannysonar

Post by dannysonar »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:08 pm That's a start, thanks. But there was someone who knew a whole lot about it. Hopefully he'll read this post.

819 lines is twice the resolution of British tv at the time (405 lines). Later the Britis changed to 625 lines but this would be even better.
i had vaguely heard or read that French TV in these days used 819 lines and a quick search on Wikipedia seems to confirm this :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/819_line
This system has been invented in France.
harrylime

Post by harrylime »

dannysonar wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:49 pm i had vaguely heard or read that French TV in these days used 819 lines and a quick search on Wikipedia seems to confirm this :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/819_line
This system has been invented in France.
I already mentioned this in my reply and it could be plausible that it was broadcasted live that way, but the question is werther was recorded on some kind of videotape in that resolution (and obviously if this survived somehow).