O/T - sony sues internet archive over digitised 78s stored online

Share the latest updates from the Fabs/Friends. Links to interviews and articles go here.
Megazeti

O/T - sony sues internet archive over digitised 78s stored online

Post by Megazeti »

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/business/2 ... t-archive/
Technically correct but it potentially removes unrestored records that actually sound better than the official releases.
Kwai Chang

Re: O/T - sony sues internet archive over digitised 78s stored online

Post by Kwai Chang »

Didn't believe me?
This is only the beginning!
Finally!!! Something faster than the SR-71 Blackbird...

(plagiarized from link above):
"wholesale theft” of copyright-protected music...
The Internet Archive’s "blatant infringement includes hundreds of thousands of works by some of the greatest artists of the Twentieth Century,” lawyers for the record companies said in a lawsuit filed Friday in Manhattan federal court.
The companies include a list of 2,749 recordings in the lawsuit, including Bing Crosby singing White Christmas,” that "is but a small sample” of recordings the archive posted without permission, according to the complaint. They are asking the court to order the archive to remove all copyrighted material and pay damages of as much as $150,000 for each infringed work, which for the listed recordings would amount to $372 million.

THAT IS ONE LAW-SUIT!
I might leave tonight!
Are we in L.A.
or, T.J.?
This will be a test of the banking system computers!
Y2K???
This is is much is is bigger is is with longer tentacles.
Again! Potential for a log jam is extremely definite!
Usury Records And Central BankCo!
Wake up! We're Terry Reid!
KC
jpgrcat007

Post by jpgrcat007 »

Sony is too greedy, & going after recordings over 70 years old, is stupid
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

This is a shocker and could spell the end of Internet Archive. (Thanks, Sony.)

I didn't realise they were soliciting sound recordings - I thought they just trawled and preserved old websistes. If they are doing that, they should know better. The risk was always there. Only hope, I guess, is that they have the resources to employ top lawyers who find a technical escape route.
Megazeti

Post by Megazeti »

It doesn't help that some contributors don't realise they are sowing the seeds for destruction because they so foolishly think no one can touch archive.org, formula 1 recently ripped hoards of videos off it especially those who got nuked by YouTube. When will those who flout archive.org take some responsibility before they make a contribution.
Last edited by Megazeti on Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

The technical loophole should be a simple one. Most of the 78's are vinyl rips. Crackles, pops, lo-fi, etc. These are not pristine recordings. And many fall in the public domain; That'd be pre-1923 recordings and all cylinder recordings.

Archive could make a pretty strong argument under Title 17 section 108 that they are a library/archive serving the public by providing recordings and material that are presently unobtainable. Ultimately, though, the game may be up for most of the more current audio and video on their website. It was nice while it lasted. I'd expect this kind of a "crackdown" to slowly wind its way through all such websites which have unreported copyrighted material, whether smack dab on the website, or being traded through third-party means.

Eventually, all we'll have is Kukla, Fran, & Ollie.
Egg_Crisis

Post by Egg_Crisis »

People upload full albums to archive.org. If you find them quick enough you can download them. If you're too late you'll find they've been nobbled and only 30 sec samples of each song can be heard. The site keeps a copy of the full thing, it's just not available. I expect they might start do do that with some of these disputed 78's.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

AVIS Presley, mama baby!
Hurts-Good God, Lord!
What is it good for ?????
Absolutely terminal!
And, since you waived the full-coverage clause...
Say goodbye to Santa Juice(#32)
it Hertzzzz SO good!
"Is this your signature?"
FREEquent f-LIAR!
My isles!
KC
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

I have downloaded 24-bit files of gramophone records from the Internet Archive that I have, but could never hope to get as good a reproduction as these pros with the dozen styli and methods to play them back. I got a recording of a 1908 gramophone record that I took to school in the third grade, and when I hit a rock with my bicycle it fell out of the carrier and cracked. I thought I might never see or hear another copy. Gawd save them, whoever they were. They did us a service.

Like, when was I ever going to be able to buy a copy of it from Victor? They bulldozed the contents of their library from the beginning to about 1956 to erect a new building in that space. They shoved it all into the Hudson River and built a dock on top of it.
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

mojofilter wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:37 am They shoved it all into the Hudson River and built a dock on top of it.
IOW, they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.