Parlogram "The Forgotten Beatles EP Box Set & Why You Should Own It"

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
slane

Re: Parlogram "The Forgotten Beatles EP Box Set & Why You Should Own It"

Post by slane »

harrylime wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:32 pm Then why do EP reels for both exist in the vaults? TL12344 for No. 1 and TL14452 for Extracts from the AHDN Album.
I don't think they are tape reels. Tapes usually begin with the "E" prefix. "TL" is something else, and as they all seem to correspond with released records I'm assuming 'Test Lacquer'.

The only two EPs identified on the mono album tape boxes are for No.1 and AHDN2, and they are the only two EPs which have the songs in the same order as on the albums. So there would be no point in making a copy, you could just cut the EP directly from the LP master. But Twist And Shout, for instance, isn't listed on the PPM LP box - because the songs were in a different order, they would have to be copied to another tape for EP cutting.
harrylime

Re: Parlogram "The Forgotten Beatles EP Box Set & Why You Should Own It"

Post by harrylime »

slane wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:34 pm I don't think they are tape reels. Tapes usually begin with the "E" prefix. "TL" is something else, and as they all seem to correspond with released records I'm assuming 'Test Lacquer'.
:lol: from the Parlogram Auctions vid:

corresponding Barrett listing with TL

AHDN

Also John Winn notes on the E/TL:

Although my best guess would be that it refers to the "Tape library". But alas in any case it's BS that it refers to some kind of lacquer or other non-tape element. How would Barrett even have listed those :?:
slane wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:34 pm The only two EPs identified on the mono album tape boxes are for No.1 and AHDN2, and they are the only two EPs which have the songs in the same order as on the albums. So there would be no point in making a copy, you could just cut the EP directly from the LP master.
They could, but they wouldn't need to risk interfering with the (much more valuable) master if they had a separate reel ready to be used. Otherwise you also get a mixed bag of situations where a recut of an EP would entail a search for either a dedicated reel or a 'use the album instead' case.
But Twist And Shout, for instance, isn't listed on the PPM LP box - because the songs were in a different order, they would have to be copied to another tape for EP cutting.
Indeed, but I think where the theory fails to account for is that there are things that *have* to be done and things that *could* be done even if it was a tad redundant. And that's probably the case with these reels rather than a direct cut from LP master.