Peter Jackson and The Star Club Tapes.

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Bazilnerk

Re: Peter Jackson and The Star Club Tapes.

Post by Bazilnerk »

Don't believe bootlegs or any other source. The only known full copy of the tape (and the original tape) are owned by Larry Grossburg. Apple have bits, but we don’t know if they have a complete copy. Depends on what they got from Allan Williams. No full source has fallen into the hands of the bootleggers and is unlikely to do so as it's kept under lock and key by Larry. Lord Reith's reconstruction is the closest there is

I co-wrote those articles with Hans

http://mint-audio-restoration.co.uk/wp- ... Part-1.pdf
http://mint-audio-restoration.co.uk/wp- ... Part-2.pdf

These are as printed by record collector.

By the way, at the time we said that the tape contents were from studio logs. But that was a little white lie. Hans was allowed to hear the WHOLE of the original tape as exist on the back-up reels made in 1976, the original being too fragile to play. So the article is 100% correct in regard to the content. No guesswork. - And no neither Hans nor I have a copy of the tapes. The back-up reels were digitised when Larry G put the tapes up for sale some years back. As nothing sold, everything is still with Larry. Why Apple didn't buy it, I don't know.

My personal opinion about the Peter Jackson story? - Probably rubbish, fuelled by him mentioning that it was something he'd like to do.
Last edited by Bazilnerk on Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

Bazilnerk wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:22 pm Don't believe bootlegs or any other source. The only known full copy of the tape (and the original tape) are owned by Larry Grossburg. Apple have bits, but we don’t know if they have a complete copy. Depends on what they got from Allan Williams. No full source has fallen into the hands of the bootleggers and is unlikely to do so as it's kept under lock and key by Larry. Lord Reith's reconstruction is the closest there is

I co-wrote those articles with Hans

http://mint-audio-restoration.co.uk/wp- ... Part-1.pdf
http://mint-audio-restoration.co.uk/wp- ... Part-2.pdf

These are as printed by record collector.

By the way, at the time we said that the tape contents were from studio logs. But that was a little white lie. Hans was allowed to hear the WHOLE of the original tape as exist on the back-up reels made in 1976, the original being too fragile to play. So the article is 100% correct in regard to the content. No guesswork. - And no neither Hans nor I have a copy of the tapes. The back-up reels were digitised when Larry G put the tapes up for sale some years back. As nothing sold, everything is still with Larry. Why Apple didn't buy it, I don't know.

My personal opinion about the Peter Jackson story? - Probably rubbish, fuelled by him mentioning that it was something he's like to do.
wow thank you for all your work....not sure if you able talk Ted but he such nice person
I wish I hear more none Beatles stuff I love hear more Teds band :)
Chris
Bazilnerk

Post by Bazilnerk »

Ted died earlier this year, but Hans had spoken and interviewed him many many times over the years.

I can't take too much credit for the article, it's more Hans than me .
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

Bazilnerk wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:30 pm Ted died earlier this year, but Hans had spoken and interviewed him many many times over the years.

I can't take too much credit for the article, it's more Hans than me .
yea I know Ted died January 2nd, 2023 I talked to him New Year's Eve wish Happy New Year like always didn't hear from him and via friend, Liverpool told me he past away
he is such a nice man...

I am glad Ted got talk someone about this stuff
Chris
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

WOA76 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:47 pm I have Live At The Star Club 1962-Raw Tapes Misterclaudel MCCD 473 in 128 mp3 [love find flac copy and full artwork) but something to note
Kingsize Taylor & The Dominos
Disc 3 - Track 13 Do You Love Me

at 2:50 " Thank You Very Much Ladies & Gentlemen, I like Welcome you to the ??? the good year 1963, right now it's about a quarter after one that's about an hour and 15 mins into this NEW YEAR...."""

there are a total of 17 tracks for Kingsize Taylor & The Dominos and Horst Fascher-announcement them so if math is done and not good at it from knowing time at the end track 13 know they went on
That's a set by Johnny And the Hurricanes that was officially released in the late 1970s. It was recorded just after midnight new year's day by Adrian Barber. Which at least explains why the Beatles were never taped over: the Hurricanes must have asked Adrian to record their set and he took Ted's reel off the recorder and put on a fresh one, then gave it to the Hurricanes to keep later. Otherwise in all likelihood they would have kept recording on Ted's reel all night long and wiped everything by the Beatles.

The thing that's funny is that the Beatles Star Club album and the Johnny And the Hurricanes album were both released around the same time, but Larry Grossberg's production (which cost $100,000 to restore) sounds a hundred times WORSE than the Hurricanes set which was just slapped straight to disc with a little bit of reverb.

We know that the Harrison estate has a copy of the Star Club tape made in 1973. There's bits heard in living In the material World and they sound fantastic. So I would guess that is why Apple were not interested in Grossberg's copy - they already have access to a perfectly good one.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Bazilnerk

Post by Bazilnerk »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:00 pm We know that the Harrison estate has a copy of the Star Club tape made in 1973. There's bits heard in living In the material World and they sound fantastic. So I would guess that is why Apple were not interested in Grossberg's copy - they already have access to a perfectly good one.
But is it complete? - The known information is that the 1973 copies were excerpts and not complete, but who knows.

If I were Jackson, i'd want to go to the fullest and closest to the original source. Possibly even look at seeing if they can get any of the original to play.

I still think this is all just conjecture and wishful thinking. - I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but still think it's just a rumour.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

JacksonReithJacksonReithJacksonReithJacksonReithJacksonReithJacksonReithJacksonReithJacksonReithJacksonReithJacksonReith
ComeWelComeWelComeWelComeWelComeWelComeWelComeWelComeWelComeWelComeWelComeWelComeWelComeWelComeWel
This forum is formidable. I am confident that Jackson could find more than enough knowledge here to make any kind of Beatles movie he is trying to make. The Star Club tapes are a very vital part of the story. Their context might be understood...but, this is different. This would give ANY Beatles fan German citizenship for the last night of 1962! Velcome to Schlagers! The slide show is venom and the dialog transcripts are exciting because they promise us that we won't want to leave early. This don't end til sunrise...and grab some Prellies from the waitress!
I went to a riot and a soccer game broke out!
If it's worth doing, it's worth having someone else do.
KC
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:00 pm
WOA76 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:47 pm I have Live At The Star Club 1962-Raw Tapes Misterclaudel MCCD 473 in 128 mp3 [love find flac copy and full artwork) but something to note
Kingsize Taylor & The Dominos
Disc 3 - Track 13 Do You Love Me

at 2:50 " Thank You Very Much Ladies & Gentlemen, I like Welcome you to the ??? the good year 1963, right now it's about a quarter after one that's about an hour and 15 mins into this NEW YEAR...."""

there are a total of 17 tracks for Kingsize Taylor & The Dominos and Horst Fascher-announcement them so if math is done and not good at it from knowing time at the end track 13 know they went on
That's a set by Johnny And the Hurricanes that was officially released in the late 1970s. It was recorded just after midnight new year's day by Adrian Barber. Which at least explains why the Beatles were never taped over: the Hurricanes must have asked Adrian to record their set and he took Ted's reel off the recorder and put on a fresh one, then gave it to the Hurricanes to keep later. Otherwise in all likelihood they would have kept recording on Ted's reel all night long and wiped everything by the Beatles.

The thing that's funny is that the Beatles Star Club album and the Johnny And the Hurricanes album were both released around the same time, but Larry Grossberg's production (which cost $100,000 to restore) sounds a hundred times WORSE than the Hurricanes set which was just slapped straight to disc with a little bit of reverb.

We know that the Harrison estate has a copy of the Star Club tape made in 1973. There's bits heard in living In the material World and they sound fantastic. So I would guess that is why Apple were not interested in Grossberg's copy - they already have access to a perfectly good one.

Sorry yea Johnny And the Hurricanes not Ted I had ted band on my mind forgive my mistake....
Chris
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

Bazilnerk wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:18 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:00 pm We know that the Harrison estate has a copy of the Star Club tape made in 1973. There's bits heard in living In the material World and they sound fantastic. So I would guess that is why Apple were not interested in Grossberg's copy - they already have access to a perfectly good one.
But is it complete? - The known information is that the 1973 copies were excerpts and not complete, but who knows.

If I were Jackson, i'd want to go to the fullest and closest to the original source. Possibly even look at seeing if they can get any of the original to play.

I still think this is all just conjecture and wishful thinking. - I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but still think it's just a rumour.
I have a Wild thought just cause love this recording Haha

from part 1
https://recordcollectormag.com/articles ... reel-story

To do this he asked the help of Adrian Barber, who, during the autumn of 1962, had taken up the position as stage manager at the Star-Club. The guitar player and technical wizard of another Liverpool group The Big Three, Barber had been given a free hand to build a first-class sound system capable of recording at the Star-Club. At the time,

"""however, Barber had not yet accumulated all his equipment and was happy to team up with Kingsize and use his tape recorder."""""

THOUGHT just thinking outside the box
maybe for Johnny And the Hurricanes, he put all his stuff with reel to reel and recorded maybe after hearing the tapes used a new mic ??

"""Barber set up Taylor’s reel-to-reel at the side of the stage and connected it to a Sennheiser microphone hung from the ceiling of the club."""

now thought are the photo from Star Club are any from December 1962 or any other acts and can you see the mic like when looked in the photo for the school recording

"""In October 1962 Kingsize Taylor and his band The Dominoes had returned to Star-Club after a radio show in Berlin. With him he had brought a brand new Philips RK 14 four-track mono tape recorder (also known as an EL3541), which was at that time the latest in technology. Originally Kingsize and The Dominoes used the machine to record their own rehearsals. """

Question cause both did a great job of this

four-track mono tape recorder not sure in this article or if Ted told me or read it but it wasn't a normal 4 track as to that used in EMI Studios in 1963 to record I Want to Hold Your Hand am I right?

if wrong let me know please and if it right

there 2 tapes that are tapes made before tapes in the 70s what happen to those? is this maybe a 1973 Sample tape from 60s tapes?

"Back home, Taylor transferred The Beatles’ material from the original tape onto a twin-track tape, with the use of his father’s Grundig TK 120 recorder. He then offered The Beatles’ manager Brian Epstein the tape. However, Epstein’s and The Beatles’ interest was minimal and, in a letter dated 9 May 1963, he writes to Taylor: “Thank you for giving us the opportunity to buy your tape recording of The Beatles. As there does not appear to be any commercial value to the recording I can only offer you £20 for your time and effort in producing the tape recording.”"

oh and maybe the 73 sample tape same one as George Harrison Didn't Apple uses Red Hot one or something? and is there not an early draft of Anthogy 1 with Star Club recordings?

anyhow again great job everyone so thankful final talk to others about this
Chris
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

If all gear had been set up maybe this is what the Beatles set would sound like.

from Ted Taylor You Tube from 1963...
Chris